MAF Drop Brackets + Slee Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I scored a set of Slee sliders, but I had no idea that drop brackets were even a thing (Doh'!) and that it would be in the way of the slider U-bolts! DAMNNN, why does it always feels like I spend money so I can spend even more money?

Anyways I think my truck has a 3 inch lift. My question is, are drop brackets universal? As it a 6 inch drop bracket will work with a truck with a 3 inch lift? It seems like the case on MAF's website, as their drop brackets are rated for 2 to 6 inches.
tempImage8SuuF5.jpg

So the solutions are:

1. Get white knuckle sliders, sell Slee sliders (Too much hassle)
2. Modify Slee sliders to fit before the drop bracket area (don't have the skills for that, may be able to pay someone to do it, alot of work)
3. Sell MAF brackets and refit Slee brackets: SLEE - Caster Plate Kit for 4" lift - '91-97 Land Cruiser / Lexus LX 450 - Slee Off Road - https://sleeoffroad.com/products/sok1048/ ( not sure of fitment, since my truck has a 3 inch lift but this is made for trucks with an 4 inch lift?? Need to call Slee. (Least amount of work)

What do?

Check out the weld in (ram) drop bracket from @eimkeith they are a much better design than the man a fre brackets.

You could also use sine trunnion caster correction bearings instead of brackets or plates.

You can also use a set of caster correction radius arms like Delta Vehicle Systems and skip any welding.

Just Stay away from caster correction bushings they don't last very long.
I have had OME bushing for about 4 years no issues. Christo Slee even told me they put them in all the time with no problems. Really depends on what your going to be doing with the LC.

I have had OME bushing for about 4 years no issues. Christo Slee even told me they put them in all the time with no problems. Really depends on what your going to be doing with the LC.
Ignorance is bliss.

I have ran maf drop brackets, did not get my caster anywhere close to spec this was on j springs with slee spacers. I have ome bushings in my 95. Do the job but that truck is driven by the wife and not wheeled. I have had slee caster plates in my 94 worked well put caster in spec range, had j springs and spacers then did 4 inch dobinsons flexi. Caster plates worked good. Now I have removed caster plates and run slee radius arms they work awesome. On my 95 I will prob replace the bushings and run delta 3 inch arms only has 2.5 inch lift if slee made arms for that height I would run those, or maybe I’ll install my caster plates on that one. My 96 has slee arms

Ignorance is bliss.
Agree. Should always do your research so you don’t end up like this guy.

+1 that these so-called caster correction bushings are a waste of time whether sold by OME, ICON or Elon Musk himself.

“Go arms and call it a day. I regret cutting into my factory axles to fit the plates. It also shortened my wheelbase and gave me less caster than the Delta arms I eventually ended up with.”

Another option is the Ironman drop brackets. Not nearly as big, well designed and move the axle forward about 1/2-3/4" I have installed several sets without issue.

Agree. Should always do your research so you don’t end up like this guy.

+1 that these so-called caster correction bushings are a waste of time whether sold by OME, ICON or Elon Musk himself.

“Go arms and call it a day. I regret cutting into my factory axles to fit the plates. It also shortened my wheelbase and gave me less caster than the Delta arms I eventually ended up with.”

He sounds like someone who knows wtf he’s doing. Give the man a raise and stop listening to guys who call themselves Mickey. Bushing. Mouse.

At least do us a favor and link the thread yeah?

Post in thread 'Icon caster correction bushing review'
Icon caster correction bushing review - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/icon-caster-correction-bushing-review.1234642/post-14166519

Last edited:
Bushings might not be for everyone but they aren't snake oil either.

The icon bushings plain suck.

The old man emu bushings work fine for plenty of people. Depending on climate, time, and use (daily driving, light wheeling, or rock crawling) the old man emu bushings will work for 1 years or 10 years.

Other brands of bushings like iron man are probably just as good as the old man emu bushings.

The worst thing for the life of bushings is articulation and flex from rock crawling. For a 2" lift on a rig that only sees forest service roads and typical "overlanding" ome bushings are plenty good as long as they get you back to at least 2+ degrees.

There are many caster correction methods and none of then are perfect. They all have pros and cons.

Aftermarket arms are not the holy grail.

Looks like I’ll just get delta arms and get done with it…kinda expensive tho so I might wait until next year.

Bushings might not be for everyone but they aren't snake oil either.

The icon bushings plain suck.

The old man emu bushings work fine for plenty of people. Depending on climate, time, and use (daily driving, light wheeling, or rock crawling) the old man emu bushings will work for 1 years or 10 years.

Other brands of bushings like iron man are probably just as good as the old man emu bushings.

The worst thing for the life of bushings is articulation and flex from rock crawling. For a 2" lift on a rig that only sees forest service roads and typical "overlanding" ome bushings are plenty good as long as they get you back to at least 2+ degrees.

There are many caster correction methods and none of then are perfect. They all have pros and cons.

Aftermarket arms are not the holy grail.
Lots of folks here also run really ragged 80s and consider them the bee’s knees. There are many caster correction methods, but there’s a reason why people who know wtf they’re doing go with the aftermarket radius arms esp in 2022.

Per your thread, you didn’t get an alignment check after your correction bushing install right? I actually did on your typical 2-2.5” OME lift. My caster ended up at an amazing 0. I only knew how much it drove like sht until I at least got the caster correction plates which got me to around 2. Then Delta released their arms which is where I sit today at positive 4 both sides. My 80 is sorted. Learn from my lessons learned.

Caster correction bushings are a waste of time and $. When you drive a properly dialed in 80, you’ll instantly realize where your hard earned 💷💵💴💶 went my friends.

If you love your bushings do you. But for newbs coming here perusing for caster correction advice, let’s provide them good counsel.

Last edited:
Lots of folks here also run really ragged 80s and consider them the bee’s knees. There are many caster correction methods, but there’s a reason why people who know wtf they’re doing go with the aftermarket radius arms esp in 2022.

Per your thread, you didn’t get an alignment check after your correction bushing install right? I actually did on your typical 2-2.5” OME lift. My caster ended up at an amazing 0. I only knew how much it drove like sht until I at least got the caster correction plates which got me to around 2. Then Delta released their arms which is where I sit today at positive 4 both sides. My 80 is sorted. Learn from my lessons learned.

Caster correction bushings are a waste of time and $. When you drive a properly dialed in 80, you’ll instantly realize where your hard earned 💷💵💴💶 went my friends.

If you love your bushings do you. But for newbs coming here perusing for caster correction advice, let’s provide them good counsel.

I never updated my caster #'s after the icon bushings because I have enough experience to know they were crap and didn't get me enough so I added drop brackets. But I also made the mistake of using the crap icon bushings.

That being said I probably put more offroad miles on my rig than most people on this forum and my rig drives great even with the icon bushings.

Not everyone can afford to drop the $$$$$$ for aftermarket arms and like I said aftermarket arms are not the only solution, they are a great solutuon but they are also the most expensive.

There is no need to try and convince everyone that they have to use arms to correct caster.

Not everyone lives in California and feels the need to run 37's while being able to drive interstate speeds.

Plenty of 80 series owners only want to run a 2" lift and 33"s and never go over 65. Bushings are great for a rig like that.

When I re do my suspension I won't go with arms even if I had $$$ to spare. I will stick to the drop brackets and trunnion bearings or possibly even a cut and turn on the knuckle.

I never updated my caster #'s after the icon bushings because I have enough experience to know they were crap and didn't get me enough so I added drop brackets. But I also made the mistake of using the crap icon bushings.

That being said I probably put more offroad miles on my rig than most people on this forum and my rig drives great even with the icon bushings.

Not everyone can afford to drop the $$$$$$ for aftermarket arms and like I said aftermarket arms are not the only solution, they are a great solutuon but they are also the most expensive.

There is no need to try and convince everyone that they have to use arms to correct caster.

Not everyone lives in California and feels the need to run 37's while being able to drive interstate speeds.

Plenty of 80 series owners only want to run a 2" lift and 33"s and never go over 65. Bushings are great for a rig like that.

When I re do my suspension I won't go with arms even if I had $$$ to spare. I will stick to the drop brackets and trunnion bearings or possibly even a cut and turn on the knuckle.
Why don’t we stick to some data instead of financial feels?

I’ve had two lifted 80s both with the same 2-2.5” OME lift with caster correction bushings. I’ve had both aligned and both landed at 0 or nowhere near the Toyota OEM spec range at 2-4+. The difference between running these trash bushings to plates to arms is *palpable*. I’ve felt them all personally through my own trial and error.

Let’s save people time and money. If lifted, skip the bushings. If $1200 for one and done radius arms is a no go, then go with plates or some other hack job that may also alter your wheelbase.

I’m more than happy to be corrected. If others can show that their lifted 80 with caster correction bushings got 2+ positive caster, I’ll apologize for my mendacious info and move along.

If only you existed before I cut into my unmolested factory axle to fit the plates… ❤️ 4 caster 4ever

22369180-96F7-41D9-914B-BBDE025C2670.jpeg

Set cruise no sweat no effort on a road trip to the PNW

9ED4AC5E-85CE-41F7-A20E-D3B5D16843EC.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had two lifted 80s both with the same 2-2.5” OME lift with caster correction bushings. I’ve had both aligned and both landed at 0 or nowhere near the Toyota OEM spec range at 2-4+. The difference between running these trash bushings to plates to arms is *palpable*. I’ve felt them all personally through my own trial and error.

So you have never tried drop brackets or trunnion bearings.?

How do you know they don't work as well as arms?

Than you have a shop like Slee that made themselves famous building 80 series.

Do you think slee is lying to everyone and or doesn't know what they are talking about when they use and recommend bushings?

No offense but I trust slee with their experience on thousands of cruisers and twenty plus years more than your experience on two cruisers over a handful of years.

15 or 20 years ago on this forum everybody said use bushings or doing something custom like homemade plates or a cut n turn.

Than finally a couple vendors brought plates to the market. Than this forum was all about plates and how they are the best thing.

Than you started getting arms on the market and now everyone on the forum says you got to have arms.

Just because it's trendy on mud doesn't mean it's the best or only acceptable method.

Same thing happened with bumpers.

It used to be all about arb or something custom.

Than others come and go. For awhile it was all about 4x4 labs. A company that makes some damn good well thought out bumpers.

But they are not cool anymore, now the cool kids only want the Delta logo on their rigs.

Last edited:
So you have never tried drop brackets or trunnion bearings.

How do you know they don't work as well as arms?

Than you have a shop like Slee that made themselves famous building 80 series.

Do you think slee is lying to everyone and or doesn't know what they are talking about when they use and recommend bushings?

No offense but I trust slee with their experience on thousands of cruisers and twenty plus years more than your experience on two cruisers over a handful of years.

Please don’t put words in my mouth dude. I’ve made my point clear. You? Still feels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom