MAF Cleaning and Check Engine Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cleaned my '95 FJ80 MAF sensor and throttle body with cleaners this weekend in hopes of getting rid of low idle roughness. I've done this before with no issues. However, this time, the Check Engine light came on and the low idle roughness went away for a little while, but has returned. That may not be the issue for the rough low idle...that's another thread.

Anyway, tried clearing the engine code by pulling EFI 15amp fuse from fuse box behind the battery...unfortunately, that did not work.

OBD codes that came up :
  1. P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
  2. P0110 - Intake Aire Temperature Sensor
Looked for the obvious causes, like loose or frayed connections, wiring, air filter, etc, with no obvious issues. The cruiser only has 119K miles so there's not too much wear and tear. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Cleaned my '95 FJ80 MAF sensor and throttle body with cleaners this weekend in hopes of getting rid of low idle roughness. I've done this before with no issues. However, this time, the Check Engine light came on and the low idle roughness went away for a little while, but has returned. That may not be the issue for the rough low idle...that's another thread.

Anyway, tried clearing the engine code by pulling EFI 15amp fuse from fuse box behind the battery...unfortunately, that did not work.

OBD codes that came up :
  1. P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
  2. P0110 - Intake Aire Temperature Sensor
Looked for the obvious causes, like loose or frayed connections, wiring, air filter, etc, with no obvious issues. The cruiser only has 119K miles so there's not too much wear and tear. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Did you resolve this? I have the same issue.

You wouldn't have accidentally pulled the connector from the MAF without taking off the horseshoe clip that holds it in when you cleaned it or disconnected it? I did that and pulled the contacts off the the circuit board by accident when I pulled the plug from the MAF.

I sprayed the MAF three separate times. Took a photo of the inside. Then got a P0110 code. I disconnected the air intake sensor, just the the right of the EGR going into the manifold. It was jet black. I used a Brillo pad to gently clean it. Took a test drive, got the familiar sputter and loss of power again. Mine would respond to flirting the gas pedal in the past and allow me to limp home. This time I had to floor it one time and then all symptoms disappeared. Took it on a 60 mile trip without incident. We shall see how it goes.

F6BB00A1-A1BD-4168-9198-0504BE23CDCA.jpeg

You wouldn't have accidentally pulled the connector from the MAF without taking off the horseshoe clip that holds it in when you cleaned it or disconnected it? I did that and pulled the contacts off the the circuit board by accident when I pulled the plug from the MAF.
No, was very methodical and cautious with everything. :D

Ugh...back at it again. Ran great for a hundred miles or so then starting losing power again. Only way to get going was to step to the floor. Then it lurches and you have to compensate. Took apart the back seat and tested the fuel pressure. Seems totally fine. 40psi. Super frustrating. Also did an ohm meter test of the air intake sensor (to the best of my ability with the equipment in this small home I am renting) That also seemed fine. No heat gun here so hair dryer on high heat took it down to 19 or so ohms. Will drive again and see what codes she throws at me this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom