MAF centerforce dual friction clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anybody have this clutch in their cruiser? Would it be worth the $$ to get it. My 2f is stock and getting parts assembled to put in the 5 speed. Don't do a lot of off road but hoping to change that next yr. Also so light towing with it.

Stock works great..
Never slipped mine even with a turbo..

Does anybody have this clutch in their cruiser? Would it be worth the $$ to get it. My 2f is stock and getting parts assembled to put in the 5 speed. Don't do a lot of off road but hoping to change that next yr. Also so light towing with it.

I have one behind a V8 and a H55F. Peddle is harder to push, compared to stock. Hooks up like you can't believe. :princess: will complain some when driving it.

Ex

I can't speak for the stock clutch, my 40 had centerforce when I bought it, and the clutch in my 60 was shot when I bought it, and I put the centerforce dual friction in the 60. I think it feels very good. Especially offroad.

But if stock is good enough for Mace, it would be good enough for me.
Thanks for always sharing your wealth of knowledge Mace!

stock X2.

I went stock too. Bought from C-dan. But rebuilds only available now. PP and disc. Toyo no longer sells new. But C-dan assured they were top notch parts.

The argument that most people get 100K or more miles on stock clutches sold me.

I'm sure Centerforce is fine. They have been around for a long time, and have many units in use in the Land Cruiser world. I wouldn't use them.

OEM Toyota clutches last 200K miles. How much more do you want? Just get OEM and install. It's likely the only clutch you will ever install.

put one on a 60, have one on a 40. no complaints, i didn't notice a change in pedal feel. will buy one for my current 60 when the time comes. i like the way centerforce hooks up on hill starts, or on snow, or when engine is cold first thing in the morning. very easy and even modulation.

I have a golden opportunity to change my clutch this week (we took the tranny out to change the rear main oil seal and noticed the clutch is still OK, but in a year or so will need replacing). Since it's easier to change it now, I decided to call around for prices on clutches. OEM Toyota can be obtained, but is about $200 more than a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, which can also be obtained within one day of ordering. Doing some reading on this, it looks like opinions are mixed, and I need to make a decision fast (can't wait for shipping, unless it will arrive next day like a local store or dealer can get).

I'm sure Centerforce is fine. They have been around for a long time, and have many units in use in the Land Cruiser world. I wouldn't use them.

OEM Toyota clutches last 200K miles. How much more do you want? Just get OEM and install. It's likely the only clutch you will ever install.

Do you think, or have you heard, that Centerforce Dual Friction don't last as long as OEM Toyota clutches? If so, by how much, all other factors being equal?

put one on a 60, have one on a 40. no complaints, i didn't notice a change in pedal feel. will buy one for my current 60 when the time comes. i like the way centerforce hooks up on hill starts, or on snow, or when engine is cold first thing in the morning. very easy and even modulation.

That sounds interesting... how does it hook up on hill starts, in snow or in the morning when engine is cold (compared to an OEM clutch, or just in general)? The guy at the store said some guys like the Centerforce Dual Action Clutch for rough applications like rock crawling. Do they take the abuse better? Are they more touchy or smoother engaging than OEM?

If there's one thing I hate, it's a clutch that "instantly" engages. There have been a few vehicles I've driven like that and don't want that kind of clutch.

Totally sales oriented, so it may be biased, but I found this description on a website selling these clutches:

If you're running anything from a lightly-modified stock vehicle on up to a full-blown race car, you know you have to get the power from your engine to your wheels in the most efficient way possible. The weak link in the chain is the clutch. Stock clutches aren't designed to handle the increased friction loads that hot cars present, and before long, you're smelling a clutch replacement. Now is the time to upgrade to a Centerforce clutch. Whether you've smoked your old clutch or are upgrading as part of your modifications, a Centerforce clutch kit will give you reliable power transfer every time. What's their secret? Centerforce clutches utilize a centrifugal weight mechanism on the pressure plate splines. That means as your RPMs increase, the holding power of your Centerforce clutch increases too. With a Centerforce clutch kit, maximum holding power is acheived at maximum RPM...just the way you want it. If you want to take your Centerforce clutch even further, order a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutches combine the Centerforce weight system with a dual-face pressure plate giving increased holding power with smoother take-ups.

Sounds good... can anyone vouch for this?

Totally sales oriented, so it may be biased, but I found this description on a website selling these clutches:

Sounds good... can anyone vouch for this?

The weights that increase the clamping force as rpm increases due to centrifugal force work, centerforce makes a good clutch.

I would doubt that you would be dissapointed. It might be a bit grabbier than stock, but i dont really know.

i have smoked my stock clutch on more than 1 occasion....

big hill off camber tried to let out slowly it smoked... tried to just drop it and it smoked again...

Last edited:
So far, it sounds like the Centerforce clutch is a good choice. There's both good and bad been said both the about OEM Toyota clutches and Centerforce clutches. I don't mind it a "bit" grabbier than stock, just not excessively so. Considering the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is priced about $200 cheaper than OEM Toyota, may possibly be more durable, and can be ordered today/received tomorrow, I think I'm going for the Centerforce clutch.

After I got all excited about a Centerforce clutch, it turns out they only have it for the 4.2 liter gas engine. My BJ60 3.4 liter diesel requires a different clutch and Centerforce doesn't make one apparently. Due to time constraints, I've had to settle for a Fenco clutch which will arrive tomorrow. OEM Toyota would have been nice, but very pricey and a 7 to 10 day wait. I need this clutch asap, so Fenco it will be.

Plain Jane remanufactured clutch from anywhere will work just as good as the OEM or the centerforce. No point in spending the extra money for no usable gain in performance or longevity.

These are not drag racers seeing 5000 RPM clutch dumps. The enhanced high rpm clamping power that the centerforce pressure plate will provide (in theory at least) is really irrelevant to use in a Cruiser.

Mark...

I've ordered a Fenco clutch which should be in by tomorrow. The flywheel has already been machined - I just need to pick it up tomorrow morning. Time is of the essence, as I have to drive across the country in my Cruiser later this week (Friday ideally), and I need the truck back on the road by Thursday at the latest. The tranny is on my garage floor right now, so it's an ideal time to change the clutch. The one that's in there is still working OK, but it's definitely near the end of its useful life. I'm not an aggressive driver, so a Fenco clutch should be fine. I always like to buy something better given the choice, and was really hoping for a Centerforce clutch, but it just wasn't meant to be...

Plain Jane remanufactured clutch from anywhere will work just as good as the OEM or the centerforce. No point in spending the extra money for no usable gain in performance or longevity.

These are not drag racers seeing 5000 RPM clutch dumps. The enhanced high rpm clamping power that the centerforce pressure plate will provide (in theory at least) is really irrelevant to use in a Cruiser.

Mark...

x2 no point to spending more for centerforce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom