MAF Aluminum Billet Radiators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone running one of these in their 60?

Mine is running way to hot! Put a new CCOT 4core in last year hoping that would solve the heating problem -

Running at 65-70 with the air on - the 350tbi heats up to 230 degrees

If I am towing - well I do not tow with the 60 in the summer...have to use the 350 in the 40...

I'm curious to hear anything on these as well. Just a little bit more than OEM, which aren't that impressive in the long run, if you ask me (they cool fine but they corrode and spring leaks--aluminum would be nice for that reason here in the northeast). I don't really trust the cheaper options from CSL, etc., as a long term solution either...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

I rebuilt my 60 in Feb and put the billet from MAF in. It seems to work just fine. I have had no problems with it.
Toolman

I have the BeCool rad & fan with a 5.7 Vortec & 4L60E - never overheated in 100-deg heat hauling 4 people at 6,000' with the AC blasting.

The CCOT RADIATOR is just fine 80% of the the time - running in the high desert with AC and towing the trailer just is not going to happen -

Today we ran down to Alpine AZ up and over 8700 feet - the cooling was about 220 with the AC - not towing seems to be heating up worse this summer -

I am buying the MAF radiator on Monday -

I'm not sure if I'd jump all over that just yet. It sounds like you need way more radiator that what you can get out of a standard 60 radiator - and I'm not sure going aluminum is going to give you the 40-60% more cooling capacity you'll need.

First, I'd call the outfit you bought the rig from - let them know what's up. They did the conversion, right?

If they can't do anything, I'd consider going to a hot rod shop (call around since you're in the boondocks) and see if there's not another option out there. Due to the size restrictions, you may be able to get something like a Corvette radiator in there. The 'Vette's radiator has to be pretty small, offer tons of cooling (considering the 350 AND very little direct air flow) and may fit, with very little work, into the available space. (I mention the 'Vette radiator because back in the mid '70s, the racing team Group 44 used to mod out and kick ass with a Triumph TR6, and that was one of the first mods they did - add the 'Vette radiator from a '67 427 - and if you think the area for the 60's radiator is tight, you should see how much room there is under the hood of a TR6!)

What is your fan situation, BTW?

I have a MAF rad and its great. But I'd check the status of your other cooling sys. components first. Check the t stat that it isn't stuck open or closed. And that it opens at the right temp. You could also get a cooler temp t-stat.

I don't know the fan sys you are running but check it for condition as well. if elec is the temp set right. is it working and moving the max amount of air accross the radiatior? If it's a clutch fan is it in guaging at the right temp-alot of aftermarket fan clutches don't come on at the right temp. If you have any question about it I would replace it with an OE chevy one.

Good luck sounds like you've got a rad coming from MAF but I would still check your sys. One other thing to think about is repair on the alum rad is difficult if there is no shop around that is experienced with them. I put a hole in mine and it has been leaking for at least a year cause I haven't found a shop who could fix it.

Thanks Swank - I like that thought - have not ordered yet...

SanJuan - I have a Hypertech chip and a new 180 thermo that is opening right on cue...I have a custom shroud that is totally sweet and a clutch fan - and Jet Hot headers ceramic coated that should disipate the heat better? I also cut the hood and mounted a cowl induction hood to allow better airflow - I just think the bullbar really restricts at high speed...

I was going to go to a Black Magic electric fan -

I wanna check out the spec's on the vette fan -

Thanks guys for all the thoughts -

Hey how did the cooling work out? I have a 5.7 and 4L60E and it runs a bitt warmer than Ilike towing with the Ac in the summer. I have done everything but the al Radiator and new cap which is happening today.

I am right there with you guys as well. My last step is the MAF aluminum radiator. I replaced the T-stat with a quality one and it opens right at 180 according to my mechanical gauge. Replaced the radiator cap, adjusted the timing, ran a 2900 cfm electric fan, added Waterwetter and now am running a clutch fan with stock shroud. It seems to cool the best so far, but I still have a problem.

The problem I am having is at idle or at slow speeds under a load. I am going to put the electric fan up front as a pusher and set it to come on at 210 and see if that solves my problem. I have removed all the A/C components (didn't have it working yet anyway and the condensor must effect air flow). All other components have about 6K miles on them, new engine, radiator (stock 60), etc. I can sit and idle and it will eventually pass 225 and keep going.

If the pusher fan and removal of A/C doesn't do it, then the MAF aluminum is my next step.

What about a high flow h2o pump? Aren't those available from summit or PAW?

Just ran the McGrew and it was hot up there. Used clutch fan and a electric pusher set to come on at 200. My rig ran between 180 and 200 for the six hour wheeling trip in. It hit 203 at the max.

My cooling problem is solved :)

I no longer have my A/C :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom