Machine shop in Auburn/Opelika? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any recommendations for a machine shop in the Auburn/Opelika area? I have a 2F head I need to have checked out. In the past I used R&R and went by there earlier but they're out of business.

Yeah it sucks that Ross isn't doing the machine work anymore, they were really good and very reasonable. I think that there is a carquest machine shop somewhere?

They did a 3FE head and block for me about a dozen years ago. That engine now has at least 200k on it and is still tight. Also used them for rebuilding two 2Fs.

Talked to Edd at Auburn Generator and he said the Carquest in Opelika is the only place around. It'll cost $45 to have this 2F head checked, R&R would have probably been cheaper.

They did a 3FE head and block for me about a dozen years ago. That engine now has at least 200k on it and is still tight. Also used them for rebuilding two 2Fs.

Talked to Edd at Auburn Generator and he said the Carquest in Opelika is the only place around. It'll cost $45 to have this 2F head checked, R&R would have probably been cheaper.

Yep, R&R has done a lot of stuff for me over the last 17 or so years. I used a shop in downtown Montgomery once but I don't remember the name and I believe that maybe the guy moved a few years back anyway.

Dropped it off at the Carquest machine shop this morning. Gonna cost $45 to do a pressure test for cracks. I was thinking something like this would run maybe $20 but I'm remembering the good 'ol R&R days. The guy at Carquest took one look at it and said it had been overheated, this assessment was based on the freeze plug at the back of the head having a small tag attached to it. I've never heard this before, but I guess it could be true. I'll get the verdict later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom