Machine shop head/valve work during HG replacement. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the necessary things that should be done or checked by a machine shop while I’m having the head gasket on my 1996 1FZ-FE replaced? Are there optional things to consider, especially for the valves, aside from getting the head itself machined?

Well from what I've researched, you can decide if you want the valve stems grinded, or just get new shims. Definitely do the valve stem seals either way.

I think @manofthewoods just rebuilt his engine, so he might have some more insights.

I had mine done about 6 months ago. At a minimum, I know the shop:
  • Disassembled the valves and thoroughly cleaned the head.
  • Installed new intake and exhaust valve seals, which I gave to them.
  • Lapped valves and valve seats, and whatever else they billed me for as "machine work".
  • Resurfaced the block, intake and exhaust sides of the head.
  • Set the valve lash
  • It appears they also put a light coat of aluminum-ish paint on the outside.
  • They also hot tanked the intakes plenums and valve cover. The inside of my valve cover baffle was very varnished and somewhat crusty.

Last edited:
I had mine done about 6 months ago. At a minimum, I know the shop:
  • Disassembled the valves and thoroughly cleaned the head.
  • Installed new intake and exhaust valve seals, which I gave to them.
  • Lapped valves and valve seats, and whatever else they billed me for as "machine work".
  • Resurfaced the block, intake and exhaust sides.
  • Set the valve lash
  • It appears they also put a light coat of aluminum-ish paint on the outside.
  • They also hot tanked the intakes plenums and valve cover. The inside of my valve cover baffle was very varnished and somewhat crusty.
So you took the engine out and had them do a full rebuild? What'd they charge for all that?

@Ozark80 Not a full rebuild, i just pulled the head and had the shop do a valve job. I paid $325.

If you have it there you should at least do a 3 way valve grind and have them lap the valves and seats, I would definitely provide OEM seats, deck the head. Hot tank it all and bring in other stuff you want tanked most shops will do this for a extra $20. Have them set the lash and call it a day. Had my whole motor block and head done awhile ago. $325 is a great deal for that head job @mdawg.

If you have it there you should at least do a 3 way valve grind and have them lap the valves and seats, I would definitely provide OEM seats, deck the head. Hot tank it all and bring in other stuff you want tanked most shops will do this for a extra $20. Have them set the lash and call it a day. Had my whole motor block and head done awhile ago. $325 is a great deal for that head job @mdawg.
*OEM seals

Well from what I've researched, you can decide if you want the valve stems grinded, or just get new shims. Definitely do the valve stem seals either way.

I think @manofthewoods just rebuilt his engine, so he might have some more insights.
I did indeed rebuild my engine recently. Post #3 (from mdwag) is pretty close to what I did (or had done). I set the lash myself by moving and replacing shims. The stems didn't need replacement, and the valves cleaned up to look like they were brand new. Seals were OEM replacements. I did a bunch of other stuff as well and will post my lessons learned as a "pay it forward" sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom