M416 Help (Tailgate/floor replacement) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I already posted this over on the expo forums but figured I would try my luck here as well. Anyways... Here we go

I have been searching the site and gathering ideas. I just bought (saved) a M416 Trailer. It needs some work! The Previous owner cut out the rear panel with a torch hoping of fabbing up a tailgate but never got it done. The piece that was cut out did come with the trailer. The trailer also needs a replacement floor. It isn't terribly rotted, but rotted enough that I would not feel comfortable trying to save it. There are several areas where I can push a screwdriver through the rusted metal.

So, I need some help. If you have fabbed up a tailgate for your M416 I need some detailed photos of what you did or if not, a write up/game plan to follow. Detailed photos sure would help me plan out what I need to do. I am a lot closer to being a novice metal worker than I am a master... so... anything would help. Hinges, Latching methods, support structure etc. My biggest worry is not the tailgate itself, but bracing the sides so they don't spread apart/weaken.

Lastly, if anyone has replaced the floor of their trailer, how about some photos or a link to your build? I am concerned where to make cuts. Do I weld in some angle iron to the tub sides to support/strengthen the new floor. The side of the tub are solid. If using sheet metal what gauge sheet metal should I go with. I believe the trailers are 16g if I am not mistaken. Go a bit thicker for a new floor? Just curious and looking for a game plan.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Jeff
PS... I need a Lunette ring!
HP_Photos 001.jpg
HP_Photos 013.jpg
HP_Photos 017.jpg

I am in a similar situation. Marking to follow the progress of the thread.

Yeah, Hopefully we can get some of these guys to respond with photos, links to specific builds, and other ideas. I really would like some specific photos of a tailgate build or even a explanation. The floor replacement is a whole other issue.

Jeff

116 views and nothin'.. Huh, I guess no one has anything to share. Come on guys. Show us some photos of your tailgate designs and floor replacement. I know I am not the only guy who picked up a 416 with a rotted floor!

Jeff

Ill send you some photos but I am dumb as far as geting them in this forum, ill PM you and we will chat,

Since it doesn't sound like a restoration is your goal I would look for a full size pick-up bed to be the donor for the floor. This will get you an appropriate thickness metal, but more importantly it will come with ribs formed in the metal which dramatically stiffens the floor. And you should be able to get it for free to nearly free!

For the tail gate hinge I would look for round tubes that fit nicely over each other. Use the smaller tube for the hinge pin and weld a full width piece of the larger tube to the bottom of the tail gate. Then take two short sections of the larger tube and mount them to the trailer box. Can either weld them to the trailer and then drill a hole thru each for a cotter pin, or weld a cap and a bolt flange on them and bolt them to the trailer. You don't want to weld the pin in place, because sooner or later you will need to remove the tail gate for some reason.

I would look at older mini-trucks for the tail gate latches. Look for the cam-action or over-center types.

Thanks Mark.. I like that one!!

NTSQD... That sounds like a decent plan. I may follow your direction. I have considered the pickup bed floor idea, but really havent seen anyone do that. If I had some sort of example to go by it might be a bit easier. I like the idea of having a stout hinge for the tailgate instead of using small home depot type hinges.

Rubicon. I sent you a PM.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff

A hint on cutting the floor out of a pick-up bed, use a Sawzall with a "The Torch" blade in it. I've cut up two whole 8 ft beds using maybe three of them total. Ear protection is a very good idea!

I'd measure the size needed and cut it out from the donor a little big. Can always cut it down later.

I'd check a tow yard for the pick up bed. You can by a trailer with a pick up bed mounted on it for 50 bucks if you get to know the people there. They get them all the time. No one comes and picks them up. Most of them are not registered.

You can also cut the top out of a mini van or crew cab truck. No rust there.

I'm at work but can get you some pictures next week. We used angle iron across the bottom of tail gate opening and also angle up the sides to keep it solid

Used the angle across the bottom to weld barrel hinges to. Used some thin gage rectangle tube to frame out the tail gate on three sides and weld the hinges to.

116 views and nothin'.. Huh, I guess no one has anything to share. Come on guys. Show us some photos of your tailgate designs and floor replacement. I know I am not the only guy who picked up a 416 with a rotted floor!

Jeff

Sorry, I didn't respond as it's not my design... Mitsubishi did it.

IMG_0836c.JPG

IMG_0835c.JPG

looking good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom