M2V2 Phone Mount thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just in case anyone is wondering, you can get a composite diamond base RAM ball to fit in the M2V2 with a little file work and some longer screws. It'd be nice if the mount was made so that it would fit both the composite and aluminum versions just in case anyone happens to have an existing supply of the former (i.e. me).

IMG_20200522_161143-01.jpeg

Just in case anyone is wondering, you can get a composite diamond base RAM ball to fit in the M2V2 with a little file work and some longer screws. It'd be nice if the mount was made so that it would fit both the composite and aluminum versions just in case anyone happens to have an existing supply of the former (i.e. me).

View attachment 2315483
What was the thread pitch and length of bolts you used?

View attachment 2315483
The surface finish of the composite ball really matches the panel. I didn't even know the existence of composite ball. I will buy one and revise the CAD.

I just installed mine tonight, and pretty darned pleased with it....

It seems that I've got the same X-Grip mount as everyone else. It seems to hold my phones fine, but it is a little fiddly two handed procedure.

Either I'm brilliant, or an idiot, but I liked the arm pointed down, where everyone else seems to have it pointed up...

Then again it is kind of warm where I am, and I don't want anything blocking my air flow!

1590210550920.png

1590210579561.png

Last edited:
I ordered the M2V2 and am just waiting for it. In the meantime, I did purchase the adapter for the Ram Mount end and the smaller ball for many of the other phone holders/chargers I've seen out there, including the wireless one I previously linked. It works as advertised and tested on my Tacoma's ram mounts.

Link: Amazon product ASIN B01MZXRSST

@geanes How did your weekend abuse testing go?!

Went great! Mount held up over 225 miles of corrugated gravel. Held an iPad mini in an XGrip mount. Never came loose and never rattled. I did trim the small tab on the side of the climate control console such that all three mounting points for the backing plate could be properly secured. Definitely have faith that the product can handle the abuse.

Got the Quadlock setup tonight and installed it, but was busy taking pics while I was replacing the fan clutch.
So far, the Quadlock mounting will take a bit of figuring out, but the release is much easier.
Will take pics in the morning when I am headed to work. At this point I am liking it better than the X-Grip for sure.

A few people have thought I was crazy drilling 14 small holes in my dash. They would say it destroys the value. I figure the 4.25" hole in the fender and all the other holes for the snorkel took care of that :)

Slightly off topic but I've been thinking about this "value" thing lately with the thought of selling / giving away the OEM parts I pull off my LC while I make upgrades. "Do I keep them to retain the value of a stock rig when it's time to sell it? What if someone doesn't want to have a roof rack-less LC as I threw out the OEM rack and I'm keeping the RR Pioneer?" I've come to the conclusion that it's irrelevant. Due to the fact that when I do finally sell it, it will be parted out as it's no longer usable as a transportation device. I sold a LC once (locked LX450), I won't make that mistake again. ;)

Slightly off topic but I've been thinking about this "value" thing lately with the thought of selling / giving away the OEM parts I pull off my LC while I make upgrades. "Do I keep them to retain the value of a stock rig when it's time to sell it? What if someone doesn't want to have a roof rack-less LC as I threw out the OEM rack and I'm keeping the RR Pioneer?" I've come to the conclusion that it's irrelevant. Due to the fact that when I do finally sell it, it will be parted out as it's no longer usable as a transportation device. I sold a LC once (locked LX450), I won't make that mistake again. ;)
Larger stuff like that I usually try to hold on too simply because of that fact and when/if you sell the truck you can add it as a "bonus" for the new owner. I did this with my 60 along with any other "spares" I had scavenged over the years seeing as parts were getting harder to find and going NLA. So when I started loading the back of the truck with boxes of stuff, the new owner said "Wow! You weren't kidding that you kept EVERYTHING!"

Stuff like stereo, speakers, amp, etc. not so much but stuff like the rear seats/seatbelts, steps, roof rack, etc. I would probably say yes. I usually have a separate box for this stuff that has all these parts plus any other small replacement parts like body clips, floor mats, etc.

So it has been about 2wks with the new setup with the Quadlock system and have to say that I really like it.
Setup is super stable, one handed operation is a breeze taking off, getting the phone on is taking a bit of muscle memory but within a day I had it pretty much down pat. Every once in a while I get it where it doesn't quite line up but usually real quick to get it on and locked. I haven't been off-road with the setup yet, but it is as stable as the X-Grip if not more.

And for those that were wondering, I did just recently get an email from Quadlock saying that they have released a "wireless charging" moto unit for their systems. I haven't looked into it because I hardwire my phone into my headunit for carplay so no bigs for me.

Does anyone have any detailed pictures of how the parts secure the panel into the dash?
I‘m curious how solid the devices are once attached to longer arms.

Does anyone have any detailed pictures of how the parts secure the panel into the dash?
I‘m curious how solid the devices are once attached to longer arms.

Here is mine, I have been using it for 4 mounts now holding a pixel XL, with weekly off-road jaunts around town as well as several trips to the San Juan's and La Plata's. Works really well compared to a tape deck mount I had "fabbed" up. the 2 handed operation for the RAM mount itself is my only beef with this set up, but its solid. I just make whoever is sitting shotgun put the phone in. One note I would make on the piece that goes on the back of the panel, the screw eyes are dimpled on one side. Make sure you get it correct so the screws full engage. I do use a shorty arm.

M2V2.3.jpg

I had to file some of the mount off in order to fit it but I think Ben was going to fix that.

M2V2.5.jpg

M2V2.7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom