M12X1.25 Knuckle Stud - Where to source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For my 1/80 40 series, the stock knuckle studs are M12x1.50 for the "short end" and M12x1.25 for the "long end". Anyone know where to source one that is M12x1.25 on both ends?

An hour of searching turned up zilch!

Interesting for future reference, but I don't see a source for what I'm looking for in that article (did I miss it?).

I pulled a bone head move after stripping out one of the holes in my knuckle and drilled and installed the wrong helicoil. I installed a 1.25 instead of a 1.50 and now I'm hoping to find a stud with 1.25 on both ends to put in the hole. Funny thing is, I chased the partially stripped stud with a M12x1.25 die and it actually fits so well in the hole that I'm tempted to just slather it in loctite red and run it! Is it possible to chase a 1.50 to make it appear to be a 1.25??? Or is it possible that my knuckle really IS drilled for 1.25? Did any year use 1.25 pitch holes?

Found one of these locally that should work. I have the ARP studs from Frontrange, so the hardness should be similar.

Last edited:
Question for the gallery: Why did my ARP stud pull out of the knuckle in the first place? None of the other 15 had this issue, even though they have been torqued a few times now. Just a flaw in the housing? As I maintain the others, should I reduce the amount of torque so I don't continue to have this issue?

Helicoil and Time-Sert inserts appear to strengthen the threads over stock (e.g., this), to get to the torque levels called for in the specs for the various hardened studs on the market, maybe it would be worth drilling and installing inserts for all studs?

Interested to know if anyone else has had, or witnessed, this issue of hardened studs pulling out.

Last edited:
Have you thought about just replacing the knuckle so you can maintain all the same studs?

I’ve had no problems with stock studs and knuckles.

If they were cross threaded at some point though it could lead to failure.

I’ve had new SS hardware gall up and self destruct for no apartment reason… so I know weird stuff can happen sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom