M101A1 new to me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Shark

SILVER Star
Threads
Got a great deal on one this weekend. Tarp is in great condition and came with a spare tire too. I will swap out the 24 volt lights for some 12 v's. Some surface rust but over all good condition.
IMAG0314.jpg
IMAG0315.jpg

Hey, you got a great trailer. I started with one, now have four and two 105's. For the lights, you can just change the blubs to 12 volt, if you want to keep the military look. They also have LED military tail lights, same look, just LED. You can also use the same pig tail to plug into your prime mover, just remove plug and use the four wires you need.
If you would like, I'll look for the right four wires for you. They are all marked with metal bands and numbers. Good luck with it.

scrapdaddy, I just went to wally world and bought a $50 set included all I need to run wires back to the back and two lights LED's too. I took out the old lights and the new lights bolted right up in the old holes. took me about 30 mins total. So for the time and money I am happy with it.

DH, not sure yet. I am debating it. Depends on whether I want my shower set up and such. I may just to start to check things out on her. Time is something I dont have a lot of lately. I if I can get everything together and set thing sup loke I want then probably will drag it up to FC. On that note the:princess: and boys are not making it. So I have plenty of room for stowaway's

Finally getting around to swapping the axle to loose some weight and be able to run 80 wheels on her. I picked up some older style 80 wheels from (AJIK). I ordered a 3500lb axle from southwest and it came with 1/2" wheel studs. these obviously do not work with my old style 80 wheels lug nuts. My question for you guys would be do NAPA and others carry a lug nut that I can use instead of swapping the wheel studs out to match the thread pitch of the older 80 lug nuts?> A few pics of the new axle and wheels temporarily installed for poser pics. :grinpimp:

Attachments

• axle 1.pdf
    186.6 KB · Views: 187
  • axle 2.pdf
    265.2 KB · Views: 145
  • axle 3.pdf
    243.4 KB · Views: 125
Land Shark,

I'm sure Napa has them. Just take a lug nut with you and match them up.

Are you useing the trailer springs? Any brakes on the new axle?

Good idea, useing the same tires as your 80.

Many thanks. I thought so but it is always good to hear confirmation before you go start driving around and asking. My plan is to use the original springs. No brakes for now. The axle I bought has the option to add them later. I have been pulling this trailer around for almost 2 years and while yes it is heavy never felt like I was in danger with it. So now, I am cutting a few hundred pounds easily should be G2G!

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Landshark,

They are amasing trailers. For the price, a guy can't go wrong. We use them alot. My Son has built a camping type out of his. It has a big box, that pulls out, with all their stuff in divided compartments. Turned out nice.

Scrapdaddy,

I agree. That is what i have been doing with mine. Sleeping platform, draw pullout, adjustable canopy. More to come...

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

If you don't mind the question, how much did you pay? I'm looking at a similar one locally, but think he's high ($1500).

If memory serves 5 something. I see them all the time from 500 to 700. The tarp was in good shape also came with a spare tire and mount.

PAToyota,

Please don't pay that. You are in a part of the country with alot of Military bases. Go to Government Liquidation.com and look up locations by state. Find your state and see if any trailers are being auctioned off. For a M101A2, $300 tops.

You will have to title it, etc. which adds to the cost, by a heck of alot better than $1500.

I'd pay in the $500 to $700 range for one that has been bought and titled. Probably could be done cheaper myself, but I'd pay a couple hundred to save the hassle. The $1500 seemed totally out of line to me, though.

I'd pay in the $500 to $700 range for one that has been bought and titled. Probably could be done cheaper myself, but I'd pay a couple hundred to save the hassle. The $1500 seemed totally out of line to me, though.
I have an A2 with the canvas and title that I don't need right now for $900. Close enough you could get it and be home the same day

Can someone with an M101a1 tell me the u bolt dimensions? Thanks

SO went down to NAPA this weekend to match up my lug nuts and I am not real happy on the match. they seem to be just a c@#$hair smaller diameter where they protrude through the hole in the wheel. I am worried that this may cause the wheel/tire to be slightly not centered. Am I worrying over nothing and once I torque these down they will be G2G?

Maybe another option is to take the hubs to a machine shop and have them press out the 1/2" and press in 12x1.5's. I know the 12's are a bit smaller but maybe they could be tack welded not to turn. HMMM anyone have some advise here? Maybe I can cross post this in the wheel and tire section too.

Last edited:
I would try anouther shop or ebay for larger cone lug nuts.
There is a volume tire shop where I live that has a larger selection of custom
lug nuts on hand.

Can someone with an M101a1 tell me the u bolt dimensions? Thanks

Land Shark,

What are you needing? The dia. of the ubolt material or the length of them, dia of axle, etc.

I can crawl under mine, in the field, but just want to do it once. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom