M LED 2.0 projectors in 98-05 LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone retrofitted the Morimoto M LED 2.0 projectors into a 98-05 Land Cruiser headlight? This sounds like an interesting option...

I retrofitted a set into my 2006-07 headlights. I also put in C-Clamp LEDs around the highbeam/DRLs as a DRL substitute. But because of the voltage drop for the DRLs, I can't quite seem to get both sides of the C-clamp LEDs to light up in DRL mode when in "Auto" mode on the stalk. They work fine when I've got the headlights on or the stalk is selected for the running lights, and high beams work as intended. I think JerryB or another member had a work around for my specific issue, but it hasn't bothered me enough to spend another couple of hundred on the harness to get back the OEM functionality.

As it pertains to the M LEDs, I think they perform pretty well compared to halogens. Compared to proper D2S retrofit or even a mini H1 setup, I think light output is still lower, especially at the outer edges of the light being thrown by the projector. I've also got a mini H1 setup in depo housings that I'm about to switch back to as my M LED lenses are the original headlamps and need to be redone.

Pros for the M LED setup: instant ON (no warmup like HIDs), simpler installation (single driver instead of ballast/igniter combo), runs cooler and theoretically, a longer life (diodes vs. the HID bulb) and more consistent light output throughout life of bulb.

CONS: Lower light output, less light at outer edges

I had the HID setup installed for about a year, but wanted to try the M LEDs, which I've been running since just before HIH8. No issues with either setup other than the subjective comments above. I'm not an expert in regards to lighting by any means, so please take my observations with a grain of salt.

Hope that helps!

I plan on putting those into my 06 lights high beam side. I like them quite a bit, I gave my other 2 stroke LEDs to another member. Low on my mission list though.

yes I have a led dtrl harness. Lou sells them with his led bulbs (9005) to make the them work correctly.
I make them but he sells them. It's not that much money. idk exactly, don't quote me <50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom