lx570 rides stiff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another suspect is incorrect fluid fill when the globes were changed. But more likely just needs bleeding. When I had old fluid or more recently worn accumulators the ride was not too stiff but just under damped.

I suppose a plug in the line from debris could have similar symptoms

Something that I did notice was that it doesn't always self level after stopping, even if parked on my sloped driveway. I would say 50% of the time it does not. The ahc spheres are genuine Toyota fitted by Toyota dealer, the ride had gotten harsh before replacement, after replacement it was smooth for a short period. Its not harsh all the time, it seems to come good and then goes rock solid to the point where it's shaking everything in the car.

Something that I did notice was that it doesn't always self level after stopping, even if parked on my sloped driveway. I would say 50% of the time it does not. The ahc spheres are genuine Toyota fitted by Toyota dealer, the ride had gotten harsh before replacement, after replacement it was smooth for a short period. Its not harsh all the time, it seems to come good and then goes rock solid to the point where it's shaking everything in the car.
I'm voting for air in the system. Definitely interested to see what it turns out to be!

Take a look at the leveling sensors. Should have nothing to do with this at all, but given a few folks have found broken mounts.

Would shot UCAs be possible? shocks?

I have the same problem, started with accumulators replacement and didn't help.

My understanding is the shocks are a reservoir basically and only need to be replaced if leaking. I suppose it could be shocks if they are binding or the valving is messed up somehow. The accumulators provide the compliance , along with the springs.
Have you followed the trouble shooting steps in the fsm?

So now my LX is riding really harsh. It rides like it's stiffer than sport mode when it's in comfort. And there's no real distinction in feeling among the three modes. I noticed a difference immediately after running the Deer Valley trail, where I basically beat the heck out of my truck. In fact, there was an incident on the trail where the front completely collapsed until I cycled the suspension by setting it to low and high again. I plan on hooking up my techstream to see if it shows anything and then I'll go from there. Visually, all the components (shocks, accumulators, etc.) look fine.

Sounds like a globe internally ruptured? How many miles do you have on her?

Sounds like the most plausible issue given your description and symptoms. You might be able to check the fluid level in the reservoir and it may show lower due to the ruptured suspension globe membrane. It's a rather easy replacement and bleed. You may be able to isolate which globe it is but probably best to replace all 4.

Accumulators very slowly seep their nitrogen past the membrane seal. I say this to help @supercarrera justify replacing all four ($800). Odds are 12 year old accumulators have served their life.

Accumulators very slowly seep their nitrogen past the membrane seal. I say this to help @supercarrera justify replacing all four ($800). Odds are 12 year old accumulators have served their life.
Did you really find some for $800? The cheapest I can find is more like $1000. :(

Did you really find some for $800? The cheapest I can find is more like $1000. :(
I’ll pm you the eBay seller that I used that is exporting them from Japan.

So I hooked up my techstream and this is the code I pulled:

c1731.JPG

I plan on following the diagnostics procedure in the FSM which calls for testing the operation of the damping force actuator and then testing the electrical connections and circuits.

Is C1731 consistent with having a failed globe?

Last edited:
A stuck actuator could do this. I don't know much about the actuators. Looks like it could be as simple as a pinched wire. Did the yellow exclamation show on the dash, or was this a silent code?

A MIL code changes the story somewhat. I very well could be wrong here, but I wasn't aware that a MIL would result with a ruptured globe?

You may try resetting the code to see if it's readily reproducible. I've used the FSM troubleshooting procedure before and it's falsely led me to the wrong conclusion so IMO it's not completely drum tight.

@grinchy it's a silent code. @TeCKis300 yeah actually one of the steps in the troubleshooting procedure is to erase the code to see if it comes back.

Following the FSM troubleshooting guide leads to the shock absorber control valve. Testing with a DMM did not produce the correct readings for a perfectly functioning valve. This makes sense because when I first visually inspected the valve, I found that the plastic connector shell on the valve was broken. I think there is not enough clearance between the slider and the valve harness connector. When I was wheeling, the force of rocks hitting the slider moved it enough to contact with the valve connector and and apply pressure to it. The pics below show the connection after I removed the broken piece.

valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

valve3.jpg
up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom