LX570 engine idle loud clicking -anyideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
YouTube link to video clip of sound

I’m used to the smooth idle of my 05 4runner v8 and have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my LX- took to Lexus dealer about six months ago and they kept it for days and said they couldn’t recreate the sound. Any ideas on what next steps I should take?

Exhaust leak? Is there any oil in your engine? Playing card in the fan shroud?

Yes it does sound like the exhaust is involved. Oil is good thankfully. Good idea to take to exhaust shop, thanks for weighing in.

Have you done any work recently on anything that touched the drive belt or did the sound just start showing up?

Exhaust leak? I had one on one of my cars years ago and it sounded like that.

Does the ticking sound change as the engine rpms increase/decrease? Any noticeable change with the climate control turned on/off? Exhaust leak, idler Pulley, chain tensioner are all possible areas to investigate.

It sounds a bit like the timing chain tensioner. Not unheard of for the 5.7.

Some known fixes are as simple as stepping up oil viscosity to 0w-30 or 5w-30. Others have had success running seafoam cleaner in the crankcase. Yet others have bitten the bullet with replacement of the tensioner which is a big $$$ job.

I have the same exact car and same exact sound. Did you ever resolve this? Thanks!
No, unfortunately I haven't found the time to troubleshoot sufficiently to figure it out. I had the dealer check it out again a month or so ago with nothing found. Hope you have better luck than me.

No, unfortunately I haven't found the time to troubleshoot sufficiently to figure it out. I had the dealer check it out again a month or so ago with nothing found. Hope you have better luck than me.
Thanks! It went away after an oil change, but it's likely to resurface again, if experience is a guide. The posts focused on oil may be onto it.

Thanks! It went away after an oil change, but it's likely to resurface again, if experience is a guide. The posts focused on oil may be onto it.
@JB AVL did you ever figure out this issue? i’ve got a 2011LX with the same thing happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom