LX570 Audio/Electrical Gremlins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK. LCHardriver_02 has apparently predicted my future. He has been experiencing electrical problems with his 2010 LX570 which include center diff, AC controls, and Audio source scrolling though inputs at random. https://forum.ih8mud.com/posts/10639068/

I too have recently been experiencing the Audio source scrolling through inputs randomly. (I have not experienced the other issues mentioned in the post above.) My Audio source issues appear to occurring on colder mornings experienced recently (40 F or thereabouts). It will scroll through all the sources, start ejecting the CDs, really weird and annoying. The problems seems to abate as the vehicle warms up. So far, it appears that the audio source scrolling kicks in when I turn the wheel hard to turn a corner. I've also noticed it happen when braking down an incline to a stop. I am not sure that these maneuvers are at all related to the problem, but thought I would throw this information in.

It happened this morning and here are the environmental conditions: Vehicle stored in driveway last night, rain, temp around 40F.

Could it be a temperature related problem? water getting in somewhere? Malfunctioning component?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Diagnosed it? Found a solution?

My vehicle: 2010 LX570, 117k miles, fresh battery

Everything else appears to be functioning fine.

HA HA HA HA HA... sorry... So, it's NOT just me! Hopefully, over time we will get this sorted.

BTW, my stereo came on by itself too. This just happened for the first time recently. Freaked me out! All of a sudden, I am hearing voices and was not sure exactly IF they were IN my head or OUT. Not a good feeling.

Funny, yes. Glad I was tipped off before it started happening to me.

It almost seems as though its the "mode" button / circuitry on the steering wheel that is somehow malfunctioning (possible theory). At one point I turned off the stereo, and it turned itself back on. (It is possible to turn on the stereo with the steering wheel mode button.) The odd thing though is the CDs ejecting during freakout mode. Not sure how the "mode" button could trigger this.

Playing out this theory a bit, does anyone know if the communication between the steering wheel and the head unit is "analog" signaling (simple on/off switch) or digital communication protocol (digital commands to the head unit)? If it is analog signaling, then the problem could be at the wheel. If it is digital, then I imagine it could be coming from several ECUs in the vehicle.

BTW, I just had the glass break sensor installed by the Lexus dealership. No problems noticed before this was installed. This install includes an ECU for the glass break sensor, if I recall correctly. Maybe this glass break sensor is somehow puking onto the communications bus? Throwing this in there for any possible correlation to this problem.

Last edited:
When it happened to me recently, I was also wondering if the SAT button was a possible cause given that mine ALWAYS ends up on SAT, but the problems you were mentioning, including the CDs getting ejected, seem like a stereo internal issue, because neither the source button on the steering wheel, nor any of the source selections SHOULD make the CDs eject.

Still thinking it might be a malfunctioning ECU somewhere in the vehicle sending bad commands that are read by the head unit. Anyone have any insights?

I too have recently been experiencing the Audio source scrolling through inputs randomly. (I have not experienced the other issues mentioned in the post above.) My Audio source issues appear to occurring on colder mornings experienced recently (40 F or thereabouts). It will scroll through all the sources, start ejecting the CDs, really weird and annoying. The problems seems to abate as the vehicle warms up. So far, it appears that the audio source scrolling kicks in when I turn the wheel hard to turn a corner. I've also noticed it happen when braking down an incline to a stop. I am not sure that these maneuvers are at all related to the problem, but thought I would throw this information in.

My first thought was a sticking button or failing steering wheel control, especially since the audio inputs can be changed by the steering wheel button and I believe there's a control board possibly in the steering wheel for the wiring. But that wouldn't explain it ejecting CDs, so I'm otherwise at a loss.

Well, cold morning today and no gremlins to report. Seems intermittent for sure. Will report back if it happens again.

Any LCs with this type of problem?

I am having same issues with audio, (also the Diff lock and 4Lo flashing and not working intermittently). Then this morning my lighted buttons on the armrest for all 4 windows started flashing intermittently and my auto up and down for the windows would not work. Following this thread closely. Mine is a 2010 LX with 79k miles, just purchased two months ago and already starting to worry about how reliable it will be in the long run. I was hoping to keep it 8-10 years.

JH

I am having same issues with audio, (also the Diff lock and 4Lo flashing and not working intermittently). Then this morning my lighted buttons on the armrest for all 4 windows started flashing intermittently and my auto up and down for the windows would not work. Following this thread closely. Mine is a 2010 LX with 79k miles, just purchased two months ago and already starting to worry about how reliable it will be in the long run. I was hoping to keep it 8-10 years.

JH

Do you use 4WD and the center diff on occasion? Diff lock and 4Lo flashing may be due to lack of use. There's an actuator in the transfer case that many have found needs to be "exercised" regularly, otherwise it will fail the self-test.

I can't speak to audio and flashing armrest lights. There may be some info in the GSIC/TIS. My original thought for @LCHardriver_02 was that the steering controls were failing/shorting and triggering his weird audio issues. All the armrest controls having issues sounds like either a connector or ECU.

If the auto up/down function does not operate, the cause may be one or more of the following:
  1. The ECU in the power window regulator motor determines that the power window regulator motor has not been initialized.
  2. The master switch has a malfunction.
  3. The Hall-IC in the driver side power window regulator motor has a malfunction.
  4. There is an open or short in the wiring between the master switch and the driver side power window regulator motor.

Yeah, I had similar issues with my audio system that could never get tracked down. The flashing armrest lights are a new one on me though.

Do you use 4WD and the center diff on occasion? Diff lock and 4Lo flashing may be due to lack of use. There's an actuator in the transfer case that many have found needs to be "exercised" regularly, otherwise it will fail the self-test.

Yeah, read that and I suspect 4Lo has never been used until I tried it when I bought it two months ago. Tried it a few more times since I got it and can't get it to engage. Thinking now I may have to take it to my tech and have him check all connections, etc.

Going to try to check connections in armrest myself.

Radio - who knows???

Spitballing here. If it is affected by the steering wheel controls I have had to replace my spiral cable. Cooler weather, cable stiffer???
Mine started with the Cruise control.

Wondering if anyone has tried dielectric grease on the pins on all the audio connections??

Update, over 1 year later...

This audio problem (randomly scrolling inputs, CDs ejected, etc.) has happened again, as the weather in NW Washington transitioned from summer to fall, temperatures starting to dip into the 40s. After prolonged colder weather, the problem goes away. If it is in the temperature range where it might occur (40-50sih), then I will store my car in the attached garage (warmth spilling from the house), and when I leave in the morning, I do not have the problem. Otherwise, if I left the car outside on a night in this temperature range, then I would have the input scrolling problem in the morning on my commute. Very strange. I've learned to live with this issue as it does not happen all the time, and is predictable when it will occur. Odo rolling over 138,000 miles at this point.

Still love the vehicle, just wish I had more knowledge about this problem and could fix it.

Last edited:
Update, over 1 year later...

This audio problem (randomly scrolling inputs, CDs ejected, etc.) has happened again, as the weather in NW Washington transitioned from small to fall, temperatures starting to dip into the 40s. After prolonged cold weather, the problem goes away. If it is in the temperature range where it might occur (40-50sih), then I will store my car in the attached garage (warmth spilling from the house), and when I leave in the morning, I do not have the problem. Otherwise, if I left the car outside on a night in this temperature range, then I would have the input scrolling problem in the morning on my commute. Very strange. I've learned to live with this issue as it does not happen all the time, and is predictable when it will occur. Odo rolling over 138,000 miles at this point.

Still love the vehicle, just wish I had more knowledge about this problem and could fix it.

Does it scroll only after pressing the button at least once?
If so, could something sticky have run into the button housing at some point...hardening like tacky glue when cold (causing the internal button contact to stick down), and then softening again when warm (allowing the button contact to pop back out as it becomes more liquid again)?

I know that can happen with the home button on iPhones...

Bumping this thread, just started experiencing this on my 10 LX. Mine seems to be when the vehicle has been sitting in the sun for a while and is hot. Seems to go away after running the A/C for a bit and things cool down. Have seen it get triggered by hitting a bump. I've tried pressing the steering buttons during freakout mode to see if its one of them sticking, but no luck.

Bump, anyone else have this issue or a solution? Reading through the thread it seems like the four of us with this issue all have 2010 LX's. Wonder if the radio part number changed that year.

Strangely enough my issues went away completely for no reason I know of. I am in a dry climate so wondering if static is causing it. Maybe with winter coming it will return?

Mine seems to be temperature related. Most of the time it is fine, but at the right time of year/temperature it acts up often. I did some research and found this issue has been reported on other Lexus models. Dealer fix seems to be replacing the radio unit, but a new unit is $2k and I wonder if a used one will eventually have the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom