LX570 and kayaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm working with a local shop but would appreciate some help for trust but verify. I'm still building confidence in the local shop's expertise. Just bought my SUV last year (first one) and this will be my first kayak purchase as well.

Yet to be purchased, but I'd like to be able to transport two Wilderness Tarpon 120 kayaks on top of my 2008 LX. Based on some research, I'm leaning toward a roof rack that allows the hull to be bottom down (vs a J-rack). I'm still open to consideration but it seems hull down seems to be a general preference / recommendation if the vehicle is capable.

I have factory stock racks (which seems a little short actually - they only extend from the rear to about the hinges for the rear passenger door, not all the way to over the front doors). Am leaning toward something like Thule Dock Glide or Malone Seawing V. I plan to use the Rhino T-Loader to assist.

Will this set up work for 2 Tarpon's side by side? Anybody have experience with kayaks on an LX? Do I need a longer rack system? Is a factory one available (seems like the LC rack extend to the front doors, not just the rear doors)? My current bar separation (max) is about 29" (center to center).

Do I need wider cross bars (that extend beyond the rails)? Or do I need to use J racks? And/or get a longer rack system installed on top?

I can't answer for the kayak specific mounts. But in regards to the LX rack, yes I agree it's a bit short. I didn't like that as I use my rack for quite a few things. So I installed a stock LC rack on mine to get the full length. It's amazing how much more functional a longer rack is. Everything is more stable, from skis, to cargo box, to 10 ft long items from home depot. I have 3 factory cross bars on mine as well (have a 4th that I've not mounted) for various things.

Your proposed Tarpon 120s will not fit the factory rack side by side hull down, as you've probably discovered. The factory LC rack is 44 inches wide and the Tarpons are 30 inches wide each. I carry my Hurricane Kayaks side by side hull down on Thule load bars that extend well beyond the factory rack on the sides.

The LC rack OEM crossbars are 40 inches apart front to back. However, when I use the Thule "feet" to fasten the Thule load bars I gain another several inches front to back because I can fasten the feet outboard of the factory crossbar locations. I like the solution @TeCKis300 used, installing an LC rack on an LX. That 29 inch crossbar front/back distance on the LX is awfully short for a heavy 12 foot long kayak! And, the further forward the better because you can open the rear hatch a bit more!

Thanks guys.

So, if I want to replace my LX stock rails with LC factory rails am I looking to replace #1 (what should be on now) with #2 (2008 factory rails)? The pics for both look similar except for a middle support for the LC rail. No length information but I'm assuming the LC one is longer. And cheaper?

Is this a direct fit? Do I just buy #2 (right and left side) and that's all I need? Or do I need more parts / adapters / whatever?

1) Lexus LX570 Side Rail Assembly 63408-60110 | toyolexparts

2) Toyota Land Cruiser Side Rail Assembly 63407-60110-C0 | toyolexparts

tbisaacs: did you get #2 for $145 both sides??? Wow!!! Used or factory NIB? Amazing find!

And then I just need some (Thule) wider cross bars (factory cross bars too short at ~39") . Maybe something like this:
Thule Complete Crossroads Railing Rack 45058

So, LC rails and wider cross bars and I'm good to go (Thule Dock Glide with two kayaks, side by side)?

Nice find! Maybe I can check local scrap yards / pick-n-pull.

Can I re-use any existing hardware? Or is the LC rail different and need LC specific rail caps and hardware?

Nice find! Maybe I can check local scrap yards / pick-n-pull.

Can I re-use any existing hardware? Or is the LC rail different and need LC specific rail caps and hardware?

The Toyota rack has a third mounting point. Other than that you may be able to reuse but the colors won’t match. The Toyota rack is all black.

I’ll let you know for sure once mince arrives.

I use 66” yakama round bars with the rail grab in my ‘13 LX with: 4 bikes, 16.5’ canoe, cargo box, double ski racks (for 8 pairs). I don’t have kayaks but the wider bar makes it way easier with the 100 lb 16.5’ canoe.

Here is the overhang with he 66” bars

D7171257-7B03-4F11-91B8-18A0454BA26E.jpeg

9E4BEC0F-3A14-4464-AC72-708C7E98FE48.jpeg

Here are my two Tarpon 120’s...
-Side by side...
-Hull down.

Hull down is much easier because you’re not fighting seat-backs, hatches and other bumps while loading...and you skip dealing with the much wider tops. Never a problem, and no need for a wide rack. These are on my factory rack and they do not budge.

Slap an unused LC rack on there... Then all you need are a couple sets of inexpensive, tapered-down-in-the-center foam mounts...and tie downs.

Piece o cake.

**Early on, I fiddled with kayak mounts from Thule...but they were just a pain. Go low tech with the kayak pads and it works much better IMHO.

508E1801-4989-42B5-9507-71F198578557.jpeg

Last edited:
Question: what is the thinking on carrying kayaks hull-down? I would be concerned that if you got caught in a downpour, wouldn't the cockpit and hull get filled with water? Then they would get really heavy, plus make it very challenging to get them down.

I really appreciate the pics. Very valuable! Thanks!

Markuson: seems like you're tying down the kayaks (btw, perfect pic - exactly the kayaks I'm intending to buy) within the front/rear bounds of my stock LX rack rail (I think the front to rear crossbar spread, is about 39"). While the longer LC racks are probably more ideal, it's another $1000. Could I make do with my stock LX rails or are the longer LC rails pretty critical?

Instead of longer rails, would another option be to get a platform up top in place of my existing rails? Something like this (but maybe a little longer and a little wider):
Roof Rack for 2008 LX 570 by Lexus | etrailer.com

If this works with my stock LX rails and would work for the kayaks, perhaps this might be a more flexible solution that allows me to carry other stuff (luggage, and other strap-able cargo up top)?

I think going with Yakima (or Thule) would be way more versital and for the cost of the eTrailer one you could do a very nice rack with Yakima. The wider bars with the boatloader attachment makes it a ton easer loading and unloading the boat without damaging your car and gives you way more options for attachments.

A word of caution is that you can only go about 5” above the rails before you can’t make it in a standard size garage. I can’t pull I. The garage with skis on the roof without lowering the AHC.

Also I have had roof racks on every one of my cars for around 30 years and Yakima/Thule are fat better than factory.

Also I prefer Yakima as they are an American company and all things being equal personally I buy American. And yes my LX is not American but I feel none of the American car companies produce anything close to the Cruiser.

Just to make sure I'm understanding your recommendation correctly, you're saying that I should replace my factory rails and crossbars with Yakima/Thule rails/crossbar/platform rack? I'd consider that - do you have a product recommendation as an example (just for concept to make sure I'm understanding correctly). This is all new to me. Thanks.

I really appreciate the pics. Very valuable! Thanks!

Markuson: seems like you're tying down the kayaks (btw, perfect pic - exactly the kayaks I'm intending to buy) within the front/rear bounds of my stock LX rack rail (I think the front to rear crossbar spread, is about 39"). While the longer LC racks are probably more ideal, it's another $1000. Could I make do with my stock LX rails or are the longer LC rails pretty critical?

Instead of longer rails, would another option be to get a platform up top in place of my existing rails? Something like this (but maybe a little longer and a little wider):
Roof Rack for 2008 LX 570 by Lexus | etrailer.com

If this works with my stock LX rails and would work for the kayaks, perhaps this might be a more flexible solution that allows me to carry other stuff (luggage, and other strap-able cargo up top)?

The spread is closer to 30" on my LX. You can probably "make it work" but it won't be as stable as you'd like. I picked up a Thule XT this weekend, and while it "works", it bounces all over the place because the front cross bar is under the middle of the box:

m9OYv21.jpg

The placement of that front crossbar exaggerates any movement.

The rhino rack is a great option because it replaces your rack all together and mounts to fixed mounting points. I would order the one for the land cruiser if that's what you decide to go with.

Thanks for all the help guys. Pics and all the advice is really appreciated since this is all new and expensive for me. Okay, so the LX short rail length is viable but only minimally functional. For the long term, it's really better to get a longer support system.

So, if I get something like the Rhino platform/rack (longer LC version), I can still mount things like the Thule box, kayak holders (Dock Glide if I choose to still go that route). If so, then that seems like a plus for me - I get a platform and can still mount things that would normally expect a crossbar to mount upon.

Something like this:
Roof Rack for 2008 Land Cruiser by Toyota | etrailer.com

I kept my factory rails and use the rail grab to attack the round bars to my rails. I also left the factory crossbars on although I don’t use them and they sit under my Yakima bars. I just measured and have a 32” spacing. REI has Thule and Yakima so if you have one near by you could check them out. Also I think most outdoor chains (cabelas, bass pro, sportsman’s wearhouse,...) have one or both brands.

B23DB342-A400-48C0-8151-50A820AB972F.jpeg

With the longer rack option loading boats from the back of the vehicle will probably be easier. I load from the side with the boat loader telescoping poles.

Another thought is with REI if you use it and hate it they will take it back no questions asked.

Really you probably can’t go wrong with he Rhino or Yakima.

Ahhhh. I see what you did. So you were able to go wider using wider Yakima crossbars mounted to the factory rails. So that works if all I need is width. But I need length as well, then I need to go with a different rail solution. Seems like the LC vs LX rail lengths differ by about 2' (my best guess judging from rail anchor placement in pictures).

Okay, I'll try to stop at a nearby REI. They are experts at this this right, not just a general sales person?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom