LX570 AHC “Basics” - Added as sticky thread for AHC Issues (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok. I still need to jack it up. I can't get under the front with the suspension in H. So, I guess I need to flush it for the front to raise to it's max.

Not sure if this has ever been posted and probably now hidden too deep in this thread. But someone may find this useful.

Attachments

• AHC Overview and Bleed Procedure.pdf
    696.1 KB · Views: 446
I flushed my AHC fluid today and had some fluid left over so I decided to bleed the accumulators just a little bit more to make sure that everything looked clean. However, when I bled the so called 5th accumulator the second time nothing came out. Both times I did the 5th accumulator first, then the other 4.

Is this to be expected? Everything checks out and seems to work OK.

yep, all good. 5th accumulator won't fill until you raise to Hi.

yep, all good. 5th accumulator won't fill until you raise to Hi.

Thanks @radman!

The job was pretty straight forward (I've done it before on my 100), but I did struggle trying to re-connect the fill hose to the reservoir.

For the benefit of others, here is how the red clip should look before re-installing the hose. Mine had slipped off and it took me a while to figure out how it was supposed to fit.

IMG_2929.JPG

you disconnected the fill hose in order to drain the reservoir?

Where is the filter?

you disconnected the fill hose in order to drain the reservoir?

Yes, it was easier to insert my pump hose to vacuum out the old fluid and pump in the new.

Not sure where to put this, but figured I'd share this here: my AHC would work fine up/down when driving, but only go down when parked. Trying to make it go up it would just blink "N" on the dash and nothing would happen, until revving the engine. So it seemed like an electrical issue to me. I then cleaned my battery terminals (which were a bit corroded) and problem solved!

TLDR: If you AHC won't go up when parked, try cleaning your battery terminals.

A quick measurement after the 4 corner bleed in H mode - 37 1/2 "rear, and 35 1/2" front, floor to fender.
Normal height in H?

This may be a wildly ignorant question but is the ahc designed to make adjustments while the vehicle is in motion? My 2011 rear end will go up when I’m driving and then drop back down very quickly at stop lights. Doesn’t always happen and seems to have a mind of it’s own. I’ve assumed it was suppose to do this? Can also sound a bit clunky when lowering. Any thoughts?

This may be a wildly ignorant question but is the ahc designed to make adjustments while the vehicle is in motion? My 2011 rear end will go up when I’m driving and then drop back down very quickly at stop lights. Doesn’t always happen and seems to have a mind of it’s own. I’ve assumed it was suppose to do this? Can also sound a bit clunky when lowering. Any thoughts?

Normal. AHC is constantly looking to level the rig, it lowers into fast low if you go above 62mph, and it helps dampen the suspension while you drive (depending on the selected comfort setting).
What mods do you have on the rig?

Prior to adding a rear bumper, my front did most of the leveling, but now I feel the rear more. I also think my adjustments have gotten more abrupt since I've gotten so heavy.

Normal. AHC is constantly looking to level the rig, it lowers into fast low if you go above 62mph, and it helps dampen the suspension while you drive (depending on the selected comfort setting).
What mods do you have on the rig?

Prior to adding a rear bumper, my front did most of the leveling, but now I feel the rear more. I also think my adjustments have gotten more abrupt since I've gotten so heavy. /Quote/

Good to hear, thanks. No mods, still bone stock.

where is the 5th accumulator? It isn't under this plate .

9AF5612D-8A64-41DD-BAA7-BE8C1AC8DAB5.jpeg

anybody?

Not enough landmarks to get my bearing in your pics. It's on the driver's side, almost dead center.

Innner side of the frame. I think there's 3 10mm bolts homing it on.

Thanks. So I was looking at the wrong side. I was under the truck yesterday when I posted that pic of the pass. side plate. I was painting steel and greasing up the drive shafts getting it ready for some snow and salt and wanted to drain that 5th bleeder real quick.

Just finished bleeding the 5th accumulator. It's right next to the muffler under a metal plate. #12 wrench loosens the 3 bolts on the plate. A ratchet won't fit. I loosened the plate keeping the bolts in place, stuck a #10 wrench on the bleeder with a hose on it and moved the bleeder about 1/8th of a turn. That is about all there is room for. Took out about 1/2 qt. Pulled the pos. cable, added about 1/2 qt, Dropped the jack. Reattached battery. Hit the starter button to wake the car up. Hit it again waited for the pump to stop making a noise. Then Started it up. The system did it's thing. Looks like I gained 1/2" on the back and the front has moved up 1" more after finally bleeding the last accumulator. I'm hoping this will help the ride and handling a little bit better at high speed.

The 100 series people sent me here. Could not find a dedicated AHC thread, figured this is the best place to ask for advice
-----
Hello fellow mudders. Insurance totalled our GX 470, and in a couple of days she will be gone. We had very good memories with her. Got at 150,000 miles, and now gone at 220000

Expense was OME lift kit and then a ARB bumper after a deer hit.
Very reliable and solid.

Now for an upgrade, we did think about a 2016 Tundra due to space to carry stuff like telescopes. But then lack of dust proofing (even with a cap) and insane 38K+ prices put us off.

Along cames a LX 2011, around 150,000 miles done. Seller is asking 28K.

I am wondering apart from pulling the carfax/Autocheck (I just need VIN I guess), what else should I check.

Things I should do...

1. 14 clicks from L to H. Or above 10?
2. Check fluid using a straw. Should be pink
3. Shocks and springs, what to check?
4. Rust of course

I have techstream. What should I check on techstreaM?

The 100 series people sent me here. Could not find a dedicated AHC thread, figured this is the best place to ask for advice
-----
Hello fellow mudders. Insurance totalled our GX 470, and in a couple of days she will be gone. We had very good memories with her. Got at 150,000 miles, and now gone at 220000

Expense was OME lift kit and then a ARB bumper after a deer hit.
Very reliable and solid.

Now for an upgrade, we did think about a 2016 Tundra due to space to carry stuff like telescopes. But then lack of dust proofing (even with a cap) and insane 38K+ prices put us off.

Along cames a LX 2011, around 150,000 miles done. Seller is asking 28K.

I am wondering apart from pulling the carfax/Autocheck (I just need VIN I guess), what else should I check.

Things I should do...

1. 14 clicks from L to H. Or above 10?
2. Check fluid using a straw. Should be pink
3. Shocks and springs, what to check?
4. Rust of course

I have techstream. What should I check on techstreaM?
It's not a 100, so there are different metrics.
1) The raise and lower time should be reasonable (like 15 seconds)
2) the reservoir is behind the right side rear tire. You'll need a flashlight in by the spare tire shining toward the right rear tire to illuminate. Verify fluid level. To pull a sample you'll have to open a bleed valve at an accumulator. Make sure you know this will collapse the suspension due to pressure release, so don't hurt yourself.
3) Shocks could weep at the seals, otherwise they don't have a failure mode. springs get old with time, so they might be due. If you decide to refresh the entire AHC you are looking at $2k or so for accumulators, shocks, and springs, excluding labor. only a couple of people have needed to do this so far.
4) yep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom