LX470 wont start ... Please Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

So after a great 3 day backcountry camping trip, I pull into town to grab coffee, and when I got to start it up.....nothing. all the electronics light up and work fine, but when I turn the key, nothing happens. No crank. No clicking, nothing at all. I did hear what sounded like a bit of a loud thud / clunk from the rear (maybe?) the last time I started it. Don't know if it's related.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be going on?

Last edited:
Try jiggling your battery connectors back and forth and re-tighten. If that doesn't work I'd try to jump start it.

shift through the gears on the lever, maybe the park/neutral switch isn't set right.

shift through the gears on the lever, maybe the park/neutral switch isn't set right.

This. My first question for any "no start" is "is it in park?".

It sounds stupid, and can come off insulting, but exactly what you mentioned: sometimes the switch is faulty and the car doesn't think it's in the correct gear. In one of my old Benzes, the reverse lights don't come on unless you hold the lever in *just* the right position to trigger the switch. Could be similar in this scenario.

This. My first question for any "no start" is "is it in park?".

It sounds stupid, and can come off insulting, but exactly what you mentioned: sometimes the switch is faulty and the car doesn't think it's in the correct gear. In one of my old Benzes, the reverse lights don't come on unless you hold the lever in *just* the right position to trigger the switch. Could be similar in this scenario.

I thought about this too. It feels like it may be the issue. Tried manipulating the park lever in as many ways as i can with no dice. Is there a bypass of any kind?

I thought about this too. It feels like it may be the issue. Tried manipulating the park lever in as many ways as i can with no dice. Is there a bypass of any kind?

Neutral. Sometimes when it won't start in Park it will start in Neutral.

Try jiggling your battery connectors back and forth and re-tighten. If that doesn't work I'd try to jump start it.

Thanks for the suggestion! Although the battery terminals were both super tight (no wiggling or anything) , I disconnected both terminals and reconnected them .... truck started right up!

Now, the question becomes....is this just a bizzare one off thing, or is additional diagnosis required? Being stuck like that was an eye opener, as I had spent the previous 3 days pretty deep in the back country. Dont need that happening out there!

Thanks for the suggestion! Although the battery terminals were both super tight (no wiggling or anything) , I disconnected both terminals and reconnected them .... truck started right up!

Now, the question becomes....is this just a bizzare one off thing, or is additional diagnosis required? Being stuck like that was an eye opener, as I had spent the previous 3 days pretty deep in the back country. Dont need that happening out there!

Just spray some battery terminal cleaner on there and you should be good to go. If that doesn't work, replace the terminals. I haven't experienced a repeat of this issue in over 3 years.

Oh, it could also be that you need a new battery. I know they are usually warrantied for 6-7 years, but they usually last me about 3-3.5 years. Then again, the AZ climate is tough on batteries.

Just spray some battery terminal cleaner on there and you should be good to go. If that doesn't work, replace the terminals. I haven't experienced a repeat of this issue in over 3 years.

Oh, it could also be that you need a new battery. I know they are usually warrantied for 6-7 years, but they usually last me about 3-3.5 years. Then again, the AZ climate is tough on batteries.

Good call on battery terminal cleaner. The terminals are a bit dusty from forest roads. The battery itself was replaced with a Lexus battery (previous owner) in Jan of 2019, so I've got to believe its still good.

Thanks again for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom