LX470 Suspension Opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Immediately after buying my LX470 this year I deleted AHC. Installed Bilstein shocks. OME rear springs. Previous owner installed LC torsion bars, so I cranked those up. The ride is fantastic on and off road.

Thank you all here for chiming in. Your posts and this forum have helped me tremendously. I decided to go with the IronMan Nitro 2” life kit. The AHC served me well and I appreciate the nice ride quality. From reading the posts, it seems the Nitro kit will provide a nice ride as well.

This is a topic on my mind a lot. I have a pretty nice stock LX and the AHC works well, but it’s pretty crusty looking under there and I worry that any day I could find my truck sitting on its haunches at the worst time. I’m not sure I agree that AHC trucks would be less desirable in the future. I think a lot of folks would see it as dodging a bullet. I thought about just replacing the rear lines which appears to mean just dropping the fuel tank and just dropping the main muffler and then the infamous access to the top of the rear shocks and the condition of those... makes me think a sawzall lobotomy and installing a quality springs/shocks replacement would actually be an upgrade. Kind of keep my eye out for someone in my area who has real experience to do the replacement.

I know the feeling and it has been on my mind since I acquired the LX. The big day happened last week when I saw the AHC leak from the rear. I was about to replace the rear globe and the rear level sensor this week and decided to switch to IronMan Nitro kit instead. The thought of having 3 old globes and rusty lines waiting to potentially fail would keep me up at night after spending money to fix it. I’m having the car repaired at the dealership, so no cost saving of performing the work of diy.

Not to start an argument, but no AHC conversion kit was necessary with my recent Dobinsons kit installation. Unlike other shocks, the kit comes with the washers and specially designed bushings needed for an LX470 . I'll post pictures in the Dobinsons thread.

Would be great to see the photos! Please tell us the ride quality along with your review.

Yes, that is kit they sell. If you are converting from AHC, you will need to add on the washer set they sell for an additional $100. After this, you would need to replace the AHC torsion bars with either normal LC100 bars or a stiffer option like OME or Ironman. The stock AHC bars are meant to be used in conjunction with the AHC hydraulic system, and are not strong enough alone to support the front of the vehicle.

Thank you for the response. I was about to go this route and changed to getting an IronMan kit instead. What setup are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom