Lx470 sub and mid range door replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all!

After searches, there seems to be a lot of “muddy” info on what people do with old levinson speakers.

The sub does not work at all in my system. Has anyone had voice coils repaired on a levinson sub? Or should I just find an 8ohm 6” replacement?

With regards to door speakers, has anyone used any specific aftermarket mid range woofers?

One member recommended these for the front door mids, and the sub.
i heard his LX and it made me a believer. I‘ll be going this route as well, after my stock speakers fail again (i repaired them with Simply Speaker foam)

Amazon product ASIN B0002ZPSKA
Did the poster who swapped this driver into his sub enclosure mention what mods it took for it to fit? Perhaps some grinding of the mounting surface edges to flatten the round shape to fit the enclosure hole recess and perhaps some grinding on the rear enclosure surface inside?

It looks like it would be a reasonably priced replacement if the sound quality is good. Appreciate any further info or details on his setup.

Last edited:
Did the poster who swapped these drivers into his sub enclosure mention what mods it took for them to fit? Perhaps some grinding of the mounting surface edges to flatten the round shape to fit the enclosure hole recess and perhaps some grinding on the rear enclosure surface inside?

They look like they'd be reasonably priced replacements if the sound quality is good. Appreciate any further info or details on his setup.
I thought i read in another post that they had to take a dremel to the webbing inside to get out to fit.

I thought i read in another post that they had to take a dremel to the webbing inside to get out to fit.
Do you happen to remember the poster's handle so that I can better search for his post? Thanks!

Did the poster who swapped this driver into his sub enclosure mention what mods it took for it to fit? Perhaps some grinding of the mounting surface edges to flatten the round shape to fit the enclosure hole recess and perhaps some grinding on the rear enclosure surface inside?

It looks like it would be a reasonably priced replacement if the sound quality is good. Appreciate any further info or details on his setup.
Yes, he said there was a little trimming to do, but it would be obvious

@txaggie76 , I meant to respond to this thread the other day. If you're sub is not making any sound, guarantee it's a bad voice coil. I just had to replace my factory sub the other day. I tried two different "cheap" subs from Amazon. The first was the Audiopipe brand from Amazon. It sounded like crap. The frequency response of that sub was way too high. Same issue you'll see if you go with the one the Joe422 recommended for the sub. They may work great as a front door speaker though. For the sub, you'll want something that is specifically for sub ranges. I put in the Skar EVL-65 D4 6.5. got it from Amazon for about $60. I'm truly amazed by that speaker. I used do custom car audio for a living so I didn't expect much from a 6" sub powered by a factory amp. But it definitely blew me away. I listen to mostly country and the occasional pop/rap. It handles both very well. I had to modify the enclosure to get it to fit. I used a little bit of resin and the plastic ring from the factory sub to create a flat mounting surface for the new speaker. Then some grinding on the back of the enclosure ribbing for the motor to fit. I also cut about 1/8" or so from the grill ribbing to make sure nothing would interfere. Meant to take more pictures, but forgot in the rush of things. Here's a pic of the resin part.

Edit: I should add a thin gasket maybe needed around the bottom mounting surface of the new sub since the mating surface won't be perfectly flat

20211103_130809_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Might be more than you want to pay, but this Dual VC 4 Ohm (in serial would get you to needed 8 Ohm) should work if you cut out the hole a little bigger? Depth is 2" 5/8 and I believe the enclosure is 3" deep. Power usage looks inline with what factory amp in LX470 can accommodate at 50-150 RMS watts

@Flipped Bezel can you send me a PM? Tried to send you one but your inbox was full...thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom