LX470 Steering Wheel Pulsation at High Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyLX

SILVER Star
Threads
My LX470 has had this quite frightening problem for a while now. When braking at highways speeds say 75-85 mph, the steering wheel pulsates. The pulsation is even more aggressive when braking hard or doing an emergency stop. My LX is pretty much stock and I'm getting all brake pads and rotors replaced because they all worn but the problem was there even when they were new. Is there any other culprit that may be causing this problem? I don't know the last time the wheel bearings were replaced so is that a possible issue? Any wear items in the brake system I should replace along with doing the pads and rotors? Open to any solution that may fix the problem.

I had the same symptoms with pulsating while braking and a wheel bearing job fixed them for me. However, I also have a new steering rack and tie rod ends so that may have helped. If you plan on doing rotors then consider bearings also since you’ll have everything apart

This reminds me. I need to check the new OEM front rotors, I put on yesterday. Although I've not heard of "warpage issue" with new OEM rotors, it can happen. I have heard Dealership shops say; they see warpage issue often with NON OEM rotors.

The pulsating brake pedal, most often happens once rotor(s) get very hot. Then any warpage reveals itself.

Flatlands (average driver) as we call them, never dealt with mountain passes. They come to Colorado, and use brakes to control speed. Repeatedly using brake frequently or riding brakes, heats rotor red hot and can melt the pads. Sometimes catching them on fire.

We have runaway ramp for improper speed control with brakes:
More often it's the 18 wheels using the runaway ramp. They miss a downshift gear, speed than prohibits downshifting. They brake to slow, but as brakes heat they fade (become less effective) they use brake even more. Brake start smoking, OH NO RUNAWAY, just get out of their way.

Wheel bearing sooooo loose that brake pedal pulse, is very loose. Simply put, it's from improper wheel bearing service.

These are pictures from mud, of a rotor shearing off due to loose wheel bearings.
bugt2ui.jpg
9y8XHgK.jpg

htX29sm.jpg

MdrlApA.jpg

Wheel bearings eh? Time for me to place an order with cruiser outfitters ....

Make sure to get:
  • Solvent or kerosene for cleaning old bearings and hub.
  • 2 Hub flange oil seal.
  • 2 Claw washer. Can used old good side in.
  • 2 Locking washer.
  • 2 Hub flange gasket.
  • 2 Snap rings. 2.4 & 2.6mm are most common needed. One in a hundred, need the max size of 2.8mm
  • 1 Tub of M1 grease (my preference)
  • 12 New hub flange stud nuts, if you really want to go by the book. I just use thread sealer, if threads of nut not to stretched! They do get kind of looser on the stud, with each service.
  • Very often new grease caps are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom