LX470 sloppy steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2003 LX 470 in very very good condition. the steering is a little 'sloppy', it likes to wander at freeway speeds. everything else is GREAT. I have repacked bearings, checked all arms and redone brakes, replaced tires, redone alignment more than once and done everything I can think of except for adjust the steering box set screw. no lexus dealer nearby and toyota dealer balked when I asked him to adjust it. where do I find the steering box screw? I have tracked the steering column down to the box adjacent to the oil filter, but don't see the screw to adjust. specific instructions and or pictures would be helpful! DMacc

Mileage?

There’s really nothing in/on the rack that can be adjusted except the toe settings at the outer tre. That’s probably why the dealer service dept was perplexed with your question. Other platforms you could adjust the preload but that would only make the steering effort a little firmer not fix worn components contributing to wander.

New poly bushings are a temporary solution to firm up the feel but won’t help much with wander.

If you have 150-200k on the original rack, the inner tie rods are likely loose at the joint, they could be loose where they screw into the rack, outer tre are worn, and also likely the steering gear is worn- all of those things together contribute to wander. Pull the boots away from the body of the rack and inspect your ITR for looseness and fluid inside the boots. Left side (DS) ITR seems to loosen before right side.

If the rack isn’t leaking and you can live with the bit of looseness and the rack components are safe you can make the call to continue driving it.

Keep in mind the loose rack will increase tire wear, and contribute wheel bearing wear.

My steering got much better once I got the wheel to fender heights in spec. I think a little rake really helps the front end stick to the ground and eliminate any wander.

I know what you're talking about. The 80 series had a a steering box that had an adjustment that could take some of the sloppiness out of the steering. The 100 series however, has a steering rack, not a box, since it has rack and pinion steering. There is no such adjustment on the steering rack. The only way to solve the problem is with new inner and outer tie rods, new rack bushings, or a new steering rack. Mine had so much slop in it I voted for all three.

Bad rack bushings will absolutely create a wandering sensation, I would start there if there is movement in the rack.

Best places to source steering rack, rack bushings and tie rod ends at a fair price? My steering is all over the place, 235k on the odometer, new-to-me LX.

white line or superpro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom