LX470 serious electric issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2000 LX with 300k miles.

I was on the highway today and heard a loud single crackle through the speakers, looked down just in time to see all the dash lights pop on. Also felt the gas pedal pulse once. This all only lasted for about 1.5 seconds and then the dash lights went out and it drove like normal.
It almost felt like it died and then came back on, but I did not have to restart the car.

This happened two more times before I got home. I drove around my neighborhood 10x and then sat in the driveway for about an hour and tried to replicate it, but couldn’t.

It only happened for a split second so I was unable to test to see if I actually lost power or if it was just the dash shorting. Since I felt a difference in the gas pedal I am going to assume it’s losing power completely.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Fusible link connections. Clean them.

Check your battery and connections, corrosion is very common on terminals mounted on the battery. Have your alternator load tested too if you can find a shop with carbon pile load tester like a VAT-40 or newer version would be better than those electronic handhelds.

The gas pedal pulse was the throttle plate snapping closed against the mechanical backup as the power cut out.

Other than that, I can only echo what others have said. Clean fusible links, battery terminals, grounds, relays, etc.

I had something similar happen once - truck "hiccuped" on the freeway, couldn't find anything, but then a coil pack went bad shortly after.

Thanks everyone. I hope it’s simple, I’ll check out all the above and report back later on what I found.

Well, I looked over everything under the hood and it al looked cleaner than my 2 year old Jeep. The positive cable was slightly loose, but that was it.
Anyone have any other ideas? Battery is new, alternator is newer, idk what brand it was replaced with, but I don’t see any symptoms of it going bad or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom