LX470 search - high mileage? (New member) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't shy away from an LX with that mileage if it has a very good service history, and wasn't offroaded much. I think offroading definitely leads to the AHC failing early. The price you save getting an LX instead of an LC at that mileage will probably be spent on a new suspension for the LX. I love my AHC though (it still works, knock on wood) but I love the look of an LC more. I personally went with an LX because of the price and condition difference. Every LC I found in my area was either super high mileage or already an offroad toy. I found a few LX's that were basically grocery getters their whole life which is another factor to consider

How do you know if it is already an offroad toy? By PPI?

How do you know if it is already an offroad toy? By PPI?

In my experience dirt and mud is pretty much impossible to get out of all the knooks and crannies under the car. I would take a creeper or a mat with me and slide around under it ( you really should do this anyway to look for leaks, bushing condition, CV's etc.) If it's been on more than a dirt road you will probably see caked up mud somewhere.

Oh and if it's been really offroaded you'll see scrapes from rocks on places like the rear diff, rear control arms and stuff

a PPI is a great idea though.

It may just take experience looking at these vehicles but it is possible tell, based the engine compartment and undercarriage, whether it is a clean vehicle or it has been cleaned. Ideally you are looking for a clean vehicle. Those are typically driven by women who never see a dirt road.

Don't be afraid of miles, be afraid of bad miles (missing maintenance, city miles). Just bought a beautifully maintained 1 owner 2005 LX that was religiously serviced at the dealer for $6400 because the market overvalues the impact of miles. If you can prove they're highway miles, you're in on goal my friend.

Is it double the fuel cost of RAV4? Thanks.

We get 14-15MPG in light city traffic with a 5 speed LX470 and upper 20s with a 4cyl Rav4.

New member - hi guys :)

Single dad with two growing kids (8/10) looking for a replacement for my RAV4. Current plan is an earlier LX470 or similar timeframe LC. The vehicle will be used as a daily driver exclusively on (really poorly maintained) pavement. I drive about 7500 miles a year, and am hoping to get something that I can keep for 10 years. My top priority is reliability and maintainability. Simple and sturdy is much preferred over fancy and finicky. I suspect a LC is perhaps a better fit, but the Lexus seems easier to find at better prices.

So ... Is there any reason to really stay away from 15 year 250-300K mile vehicles with the goal of making it a 350-400K mile 25 year old vehicle one day? Or should I be focusing on the 100K mile ones?

Drive a 100 with a properly working AHC system, and you'll either love it or hate it. It is smooth, quiet, comfortable, solid and will go anywhere. It is also bigger, thirstier, lacking any pretext of sporty driving, and more expensive to maintain. Our 4 runner is also a very fine vehicle, and I hear the GX is nice as well. Maybe something else to try?

Edit: When buying a used car, I buy from individuals only. Any 100 that someone actively cared about will be fine regardless of miles. I don't mind a little deferred maintenance, particularly if the seller is up front about it. You want to avoid any shady people, or any trucks that have led a hard life. IMO mall crawler LX470s seem to be the best deals.

Last edited:
In my experience dirt and mud is pretty much impossible to get out of all the knooks and crannies under the car. I would take a creeper or a mat with me and slide around under it ( you really should do this anyway to look for leaks, bushing condition, CV's etc.) If it's been on more than a dirt road you will probably see caked up mud somewhere.

Oh and if it's been really offroaded you'll see scrapes from rocks on places like the rear diff, rear control arms and stuff

a PPI is a great idea though.
Thank you for ur magnanimous hints.

Don't be afraid of miles, be afraid of bad miles (missing maintenance, city miles). Just bought a beautifully maintained 1 owner 2005 LX that was religiously serviced at the dealer for $6400 because the market overvalues the impact of miles. If you can prove they're highway miles, you're in on goal my friend.

Thats a good score. No much lx470 in the market tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom