Lx470 question before purchase. Long time 40 owner. New to 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas.

I’m looking for a 100 series and found one local (actually an LX470).

it has about 220k on it. Pretty clean truck. There were a few issues I found and wanted to talk to some experts;)

1. Drive line noise. When driving down the road, there was a kind of a higher pitched humming/buzzing noise (it’s impossible to describe sounds LOL.). At first I thought it was road noise from the tires. But then while going about 30 mph I shifted it to neutral and the sound went away. When I shifted back into Drive and started accelerating it came back. The sound was there in pretty much all rpm ranges and seemed to be tied to wheel speed,not engine rpm. The sound would also go away if I just let off the accelerator while coasting on flat ground. I heard the noise again when coming up to a stop sign on an incline. I did not hear the noise when hitting the accelerator while in neutral. Any thoughts on the cause?

2. Front of the truck is at low level. Rear is at N. It will not adjust height. The front end bounces a lot over bumps as you would expect. There was a height sensor bolt broken on the front driver side. Would this cause these symptoms? The reservoir was full. There were no leaks at shocks or accumulators etc.
6EC43346-DFEC-4AF8-BB2D-188B64B9F364.jpeg

3. the transmission shifted hard a few time from park to drive or drive to reverse. It didn’t do it every time. Very smooth shifting while driving. Is that somewhat normal or a concern?

I appreciate the help! He is getting quite a few calls in the truck bc is is priced very well for the condition (assuming it does not need a new trans or transfer case and a new Ahc system;).
The truck has also had the brake master rebuilt, a new throttle body, ac compressor replaced (including the one to the rear evap), new brakes, rotors and calipers....

Hey fellas.

I’m looking for a 100 series and found one local (actually an LX470).

it has about 220k on it. Pretty clean truck. There were a few issues I found and wanted to talk to some experts;)

1. Drive line noise. When driving down the road, there was a kind of a higher pitched humming/buzzing noise (it’s impossible to describe sounds LOL.). At first I thought it was road noise from the tires. But then while going about 30 mph I shifted it to neutral and the sound went away. When I shifted back into Drive and started accelerating it came back. The sound was there in pretty much all rpm ranges and seemed to be tied to wheel speed,not engine rpm. The sound would also go away if I just let off the accelerator while coasting on flat ground. I heard the noise again when coming up to a stop sign on an incline. I did not hear the noise when hitting the accelerator while in neutral. Any thoughts on the cause?

2. Front of the truck is at low level. Rear is at N. It will not adjust height. The front end bounces a lot over bumps as you would expect. There was a height sensor bolt broken on the front driver side. Would this cause these symptoms? The reservoir was full. There were no leaks at shocks or accumulators etc.
View attachment 2649076

3. the transmission shifted hard a few time from park to drive or drive to reverse. It didn’t do it every time. Very smooth shifting while driving. Is that somewhat normal or a concern?

I appreciate the help! He is getting quite a few calls in the truck bc is is priced very well for the condition (assuming it does not need a new trans or transfer case and a new Ahc system;).
The truck has also had the brake master rebuilt, a new throttle body, ac compressor replaced (including the one to the rear evap), new brakes, rotors and calipers....
3. Likely related to worn out front diff bushings and/or feont drive flanges in the hubs.

1. I don't know what this is, but I don't like it. It is load dependent, and happens in gear. That steers towards drivetrain behind the motor and because it is rotational and not vibration means its something in the transmission, transfer case, or diffs. I would consider this as an uncommon issue. Could be a whole host of things, but unless its something super simple like a heat shield loose, I'd really want a shop to get it on a rack and ID it.

2. Any lights on? If the height sensor is broken, yes it could cause this.

1. I don't know what this is, but I don't like it. It is load dependent, and happens in gear. That steers towards drivetrain behind the motor and because it is rotational and not vibration means its something in the transmission, transfer case, or diffs. I would consider this as an uncommon issue. Could be a whole host of things, but unless its something super simple like a heat shield loose, I'd really want a shop to get it on a rack and ID it.

2. Any lights on? If the height sensor is broken, yes it could cause this.

1. Great feedback. I was leaning toward transfer case bearing issue or something similar. It didn’t sound like a heat shield loose. Good thought though.

2. no lights on. Likely the height sensor.

1. Great feedback. I was leaning toward transfer case bearing issue or something similar. It didn’t sound like a heat shield loose. Good thought though.

2. no lights on. Likely the height sensor.

On #1 as well, the 100 transfer case is beefcake - it is gear, not chain driven like some other Toyota models. A mechanic might think it is a case chain guide or something like that, but I'd really have someone who knows their stuff sign off on that issue before considering this particular vehicle.

Again, could be something really simple, but the T-cases and transmissions on 100 series are very overbuilt and rarely the cause of problems so I would only move forward if they are able to identify and correct the noise before purchase.

2. The bolt needs to be replaced before any further diagnosis. At 220k, the AHC is almost guaranteed to need some adjustment, if not more.

The price sounds OK but not unless these issues are corrected. As noted, AHC still likely to need to be gone through and tuned up. If they've been driving it with that failure for awhile the front tires are cambered out and probably scrubbed on the inside as well - look for uneven wear on those tires front tires.

The driveline noise was a good catch - not something just anybody would identify - I would really nail down what that is first or let the next guy who doesn't notice take it home.

My two cents, if you are patient and set up alerts on car guru's and the like, you can find a well priced ride with lower mileage that has been babied- I found one in ATL with 200k that had been back to the same dealer every 5k miles for 18 years. Drove like a champ. Always check for rust!!

My two cents, if you are patient and set up alerts on car guru's and the like, you can find a well priced ride with lower mileage that has been babied- I found one in ATL with 200k that had been back to the same dealer every 5k miles for 18 years. Drove like a champ. Always check for rust!!
I decided to pass. Reluctantly.

I don’t see many trucks in that condition at that price these days but with all of the projects I have going on with my 40 I don’t have much time to work on the 470. There are still good trucks out there so I’ll just be patient:)

I pulled the trigger on a Blue 07 LC two years ago, it had about 145k when I bought it. It was in cherry condition and I paid for it ha ha, but I love it. Still can't bring myself to part with my 01 LX470, even though it is in rough shape. Maybe I'll get around to restoring it after I retire in 23. Sure it will still be running. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom