Lx470 oil light when speeding at 120KPH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having a issue with my LX 470 2005 model. When I go at speed 120kph the oil light blinks but when I reduced the speed below 120kph it goes away.

I have changed oil and filter. - used Lexus original oil.

The garage mechanic, said to change the oil pump without any further investigation. He just accelerate the car and said the oil gauge is moving up when accelerate above 3x rpm. So there is an issue with oil pump.

Btw, I'm new to 4 wheel vehicle. So please excuse me.

I'm having a issue with my LX 470 2005 model. When I go at speed 120kph the oil light blinks but when I reduced the speed below 120kph it goes away.

The garage mechanic, said to change the oil pump without any further investigation. He just accelerate the car and said the oil gauge is moving up when accelerate above 3x rpm. So there is an issue with oil pump.

Oil pressure or oil level?

This the light flashes when I go above 120kmh.

IMG_20210208_113053.jpg

The attached link is when I start the engine and accelerate up to 3x rpm, you can see the oil pressure gauge goes up little. I don't know is this anything to do with that too.

Video

The movement of the gauge in that video seems normal. At idle I am at the lower 1/4 mark and when I accelerate up to highway speeds it will hover around 2/3.

When the warning light comes on does the gauge also drop down?

The warning light looks like an oil level warning (not pressure) light to me.

The warning light looks like an oil level warning (not pressure) light to me.
Well.....Kind of the same thing.....lack of oil / lack of oil pressure.

>> next step will be to figure out if you are really losing pressure or is the light malfunctioning.

@shafy7
When you turn the key (don't start ) does this light turn on?

When the light turns on while driving, does the oil pressure gauge also drop?

If still stumped you will need to hook up a pressure gauge and test.

** Unless that light is for oil temperature but I don't believe it is.

chrome_2021-02-08_14-57-29.png

Are you driving it like this over there?

0163d6de963dc5af40537461da7e0c79.jpg

All joking aside, could be the oil pump or a sensor, neither of which have been reported on here. This is a first i've heard of this.

Well.....Kind of the same thing.....lack of oil / lack of oil pressure.

View attachment 2579796

Yes, but from the OP's "yellow" light (warning) and the little ripples underneath I'd suspect "level", and his description also says that the pressure is moving up with RPM (as expected). I'd expect a "pressure" light to be "red" (danger) and to be for "low pressure" not "high pressure". I suspect the OP is borderline low on oil, and at higher RPM it's slow enough returning to the oil pan that a "level" sensor is being tripped. (This is based on my experience with an old RX7, as I've never seen an oil light on one of my Land Cruisers or LXs)

Are you driving it like this over there?

Yes, but from the OP's "yellow" light (warning) and the little ripples underneath I'd suspect "level", and his description also says that the pressure is moving up with RPM (as expected). I'd expect a "pressure" light to be "red" (danger) and to be for "low pressure" not "high pressure". I suspect the OP is borderline low on oil, and at higher RPM it's slow enough returning to the oil pan that a "level" sensor is being tripped. (This is based on my experience with an old RX7, as I've never seen an oil light on one of my Land Cruisers or LXs)

Good call, I didn't notice the little lines under it.

Suppose a quick check in the owners manual per his model may be in order and then further diagnosis.

Reactions: jLB

What is the stored error code in the ECU?

Definitely oil level indicator. Could be as simple as bad level switch or crazy as a missing baffle. which engine?

Did you you pull any codes ? If you use obd system it may point to a specific sensor.
In any case, more likely to be a faulty sensor than the pump itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom