Lx470 Mark levinson speaker upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I know this has been covered many times but just wanted to get your thoughts. I just got off the phone with crutchfield who has sold me a set of kicker front door woofer and tweeters, and rear door speakers. These are 4ohm speakers. They said they are totally sure these will work without straining the system amp. They said the amp is 4ohm stable. They said the speakers would just be a little louder. I wanted to got that route rather then refoaming but now I am not sure if I should keep these or not and just refoam. I know the rear sub is 12 ohm, and the midrange door speakers they do not have are 8 ohm so the speaker ohms are kinda all over the place. What say you mud?

You could get away with super low power handling 4 ohm speakers but keep in mind the factory tweeter and mid is powered by a separate channel on the amp. Skip refoaming and buy high sensitivity low power handling 8ohm replacements miss from parts express, then just keep
Your tweeter since it’s Likely still good.

Consider the 50% rule. If the factory amp delivers 20-30 watts per channel at 8 ohm when it picks up the 4 ohm load it will try to deliver 40-60. On 20
Year old factory gear....don’t hold too high of expectations and you may need a new old amp in the future

pricey option but great drivers (94 db sensitivity is ballin)

Super well priced

You could get away with super low power handling 4 ohm speakers but keep in mind the factory tweeter and mid is powered by a separate channel on the amp. Skip refoaming and buy high sensitivity low power handling 8ohm replacements miss from parts express, then just keep
Your tweeter since it’s Likely still good.

Consider the 50% rule. If the factory amp delivers 20-30 watts per channel at 8 ohm when it picks up the 4 ohm load it will try to deliver 40-60. On 20
Year old factory gear....don’t hold too high of expectations and you may need a new old amp in the future

pricey option but great drivers (94 db sensitivity is ballin)

Super well priced
I’m electing to reform mine. It’s less expensive and keeps it stock, which is good enough for me right now. One day I may replace the whole thing with after market.

Hi all. I know this has been covered many times but just wanted to get your thoughts. I just got off the phone with crutchfield who has sold me a set of kicker front door woofer and tweeters, and rear door speakers. These are 4ohm speakers. They said they are totally sure these will work without straining the system amp. They said the amp is 4ohm stable. They said the speakers would just be a little louder. I wanted to got that route rather then refoaming but now I am not sure if I should keep these or not and just refoam. I know the rear sub is 12 ohm, and the midrange door speakers they do not have are 8 ohm so the speaker ohms are kinda all over the place. What say you mud?
Wondering if you got around to installing these and how everything went?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom