LX470 key replacement - opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star
Threads
A couple weekends ago some friends and I headed down to the beach and as I was getting ready to get on a boat my wife dropped the key to the LX in the water. This is saltwater and 10 feet deep with famously nasty marsh mud on the bottom. I dove for 10-20 minutes before miraculously coming back up with the key. I could not believe I even got it back but here it is. Now, here's the question:

It had to have drenched the inside so I'm thinking some serious corrosion is coming my way soon. What course of action can I take to get a new key? I know that if you don't have the master key you are in for some $$$ or a complimentary ECU but what about us folks that need to pre-emptively replace their key? Is this replacement a big deal?

My main concern is that the transponder may go kaput and then I'd be in the same boat as the guys with no master key; am I mistaken?

Does it work now? If it does and its the only master you have, I wouldn't take a chance - get a new one ASAP. I might have a hook-up for the key (from Lexus), but then your stealership would be less likely to help you program it... I know you can buy LC keys on Ebay - not sure about LX.

At least get the dealer to program a valet key for you. It will start the car but does not have the lock/unlock feature. That is all I had when I bought my 98 100, until I found out about the complimentry ECU. It still cost a couple of hundred to get the new Master Keys I had to buy for the new ECU. The valet key is a good backup. It will fit in a mag box under the back bumper.

Go with Ebay

Buy one off Ebay. Wife threw out the one LX470 Master Key that we had. While Toyota/Lexus replaced the ECU, it was $460 bucks for a new Master key and some other add-ons to the "free" ECU. I vowed this wouldn't happen again and bought a key off of Ebay - around $80-90. Make sure you're getting a Master Key - LC or LX doesn't matter. They're not OEM on Ebay, so Lexus dealer won't cut it for free, but go to a larger locksmith and they'll be able to do it. Search for programming instructions here in the forum and program it yourself. Now I use the non-OEM master every day and the OEM key sits safely inside (oh and My wife is only allowed to use the one Valet key that we have!).

How do you know which key is the master key? My Wife and I have identical keys with the remotes on them.

ATL: Yup it still works. I let it bake in the sun for the rest of the day as soon as I retrieved it.

D40's:I think both of the keys that have the black plastic on the ends are master keys and the key with the grey plastic is the valet key.

I still have the other main key and the valet key so I'm not in too bad a shape really. I just figured if it'll save me some $$ then I'll go pony up for another key and have it programmed while it's easier/cheaper to do. I assume if the internals do corrode the key would function, only without the remote entry?

Thanks for the info Tad.

I just picked up two Denso keys on ebay for ~150 shipped. We'll see tomorrow how they program!

Don't waste money on a Valet key. See if there is a Lexus equivilent of a Camry key. The Camry key has no remote but will be a master key and much cheaper than a full remote.

If your current remote still functions I would open it up and see if the salt water got inside. If not then no worries. If it did then remove the battery and flush the unit out with distilled water to remove all the salt residue. Dry it and reassemble.

tabraha said:
I still have the other main key and the valet key so I'm not in too bad a shape really. I just figured if it'll save me some $$ then I'll go pony up for another key and have it programmed while it's easier/cheaper to do. I assume if the internals do corrode the key would function, only without the remote entry?

I'm not sure that's a safe assumption. If the key corrodes to the point that the functions don't work, it might be reasonable to assume the transponder wouldn't either. Transponder no worky, LX no starty - it will just crank and crank when you turn the key.

And I absolutely have to disagree with this - the LC and LX keys are different:
Make sure you're getting a Master Key - LC or LX doesn't matter.

Tad, you can buy a valet key for yours and program it as a master. It won't have the remote buttons, but if your seagoing key fails you can use the master to reprogram the new keys you will buy later.

Newer models, can't recall the year this can't be done because the ecu recognizes the key for what it is, but the earlier ones I know for sure 98 & 99 you tell the ecu what you're programming.

One other note I don't remember if those years came with the credit card key but if it has a little square embedded in it in the corner - that is the immobiliser chip and it is also programmed as a master from the factory.

The internals of the key are pretty sealed up, have o-rings and such you might be okay(similar to how a watch is sealed) For $300 a key you better get something, right. Did you take it apart to see if any water got inside?
And there is actually nothing powering the immobiliser it is just a chip read by the amplifier around the ign lock cyl.

You said you have the other master, I wouldn't worry too much about the one you dropped. If it were me I would wait until it failed before I bought a new one. Because you're right the remote portion is going to fail before the immobiliser.

hope this helps,

ben

Last edited:
Yeah I figured the LX and LC wouldn't work either. I didn't think about the transponder pooping out along with the other internals.

NM I'll break it down tommorow, clean it and perhaps even through a little coat of white silicon or WD and wipe it down. Hopefully I won't see any rust/ corrosion.

Thanks for your thoughts gang.

Cool Ben, I was typing while you were typing. Thanks for the input.

tabraha said:
Yeah I figured the LX and LC wouldn't work either. I didn't think about the transponder pooping out along with the other internals.

NM I'll break it down tommorow, clean it and perhaps even through a little coat of white silicon or WD and wipe it down. Hopefully I won't see any rust/ corrosion.

Thanks for your thoughts gang.

I'd keep the WD40 away. It might degrade the elastomer seals.

Deionized water, or isopropyl alcohol, followed by thorough drying, should be OK.

Silicone might or might not be OK for the elastomers. If everything is clean & dry, you should not need anything for the seals - they should be very robust if mechanically OK (no nicks or other dimensional degradations.)

Adding silicone gel to the internals likewise might or might not be OK. If everything is perfectly clean & dry, it should be OK to coat it with silicone. But if there is any residual contamination or moisture, it might lock it in to allow corrosion or other problems to start.

Last edited:
Gotcha, I'll heed the advice.

Drinkin40s said:
How do you know which key is the master key? My Wife and I have identical keys with the remotes on them.

My 99 manual states that a valet key will not open the glove box making a key that opens the glove box a master? Can any verify this? And is there only one master?

Another option for a master without going thru Toyota is Locksmith Charley www.locksmithcharley.com he can flash your computer and make masters without any keys.

I cant remember where I got this or if it works so proceed with caution.

The Toyota Electronic Control Module does not have programming modes without
a pre-programmed key. If there is no key available that is already programmed into
the module, the module must be replaced.
To delete all but one key from the unit
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert an existing master key into the ignition cylinder.Do not turn the key
from the OFF (LOCK) position.
3. Within fifteen seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator
pedal six times.
4. Within twenty seconds of completing the above step, depress and release
the brake pedal seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indicating all keys other than the one being used
have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds. It will be the
only key still programmed to work.
Add Duplicate Key
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition.
3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and
remove key.
5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.
1998+ 1998+ TOYOTA,, LEXUS EXUS

LandCruiserPhil said:
My 99 manual states that a valet key will not open the glove box making a key that opens the glove box a master? Can any verify this? And is there only one master?

Another option for a master without going thru Toyota is Locksmith Charley www.locksmithcharley.com he can flash your computer and make masters without any keys.

There is a lot of information in the archives about what is/isn't a master key, so if what I say here doesn't answer questions, it likely can be found in the archives.

Now that some of us have 2nd/3rd hand 8 year old trucks, the "history/lineage" of the key is questionable, so what the owner's manual says may not apply anymore. All that matters is how the key was programmed.

All keys that will start the truck are transponder keys, and any of them can be programmed to be a master (or as a sub-key). The caveat is you need an existing master to program new master or sub keys.

Just because a key has the remote buttons built in does not mean it is a master. For reference, I only received one key when I bought my truck. It is a genuine toyota land cruiser remote buttons key. But unfortunately for me, it was not programmed as a master key so I cannot add additional keys to the system.

I called every locksmith in my yellow pages, and was able to find two local places who had the equipment to flash the ECM so that I could start over and program additional keys.

Along with locksmithcharley, there are several mail order places out there now offering the service as well if you can't find one local. This place does it for $125 + shipping http://www.toy-lex.com/index.html . That place also offers a key-cloning service, but that requires special "clone" keys, none of which have remote buttons.

rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom