Lx470 interior wood trim overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I purchased a 2001 lx470 about a month or so ago and I’m overhauling a lot of little things to get it how I want (I’ve been eyeing these for awhile). Mechanically the truck is great with 165k miles, so she’s not even broken in yet. The interior, for its age, is moderate but I want it badass and once I’m done I’ll post a longer thread detailing everything I’ve done.

I was hoping to get some feedback from some others that have a lx470/landcruiser in regards to the wood trim. Don’t get me wrong, I am actually an avid woodworker and I like the idea of real wood trim, but Lexus stain color was awful-every time I drove, I had flashbacks of my childhood and the orange Golden oak cabinets of yesterday’s kitchens.

Anyway, this is my solution and please let me know what you think.

I sanded trim lightly with 220 grit then used 00 steel wool. After cleaning it all, I used rustoleum clear matte enamel spray to give a more natural walnut look and less like furniture from my grandmas house (I included 1 picture of the before for reference).

If anyone has in comments/tips/ideas I’m always interested to learn from others experience.

Thanks!

DB69185C-9944-46AB-881B-ACA2E52405E0.jpeg

983572E8-3C32-401E-A0E0-7E5896951F7A.jpeg

A9EF38A3-75F3-4657-9DEB-32726A047F79.jpeg

5FBC4A9B-B2D6-4663-8924-4B1689103B1D.jpeg

So I purchased a 2001 lx470 about a month or so ago and I’m overhauling a lot of little things to get it how I want (I’ve been eyeing these for awhile). Mechanically the truck is great with 165k miles, so she’s not even broken in yet. The interior, for its age, is moderate but I want it badass and once I’m done I’ll post a longer thread detailing everything I’ve done.

I was hoping to get some feedback from some others that have a lx470/landcruiser in regards to the wood trim. Don’t get me wrong, I am actually an avid woodworker and I like the idea of real wood trim, but Lexus stain color was awful-every time I drove, I had flashbacks of my childhood and the orange Golden oak cabinets of yesterday’s kitchens.

Anyway, this is my solution and please let me know what you think.

I sanded trim lightly with 220 grit then used 00 steel wool. After cleaning it all, I used rustoleum clear matte enamel spray to give a more natural walnut look and less like furniture from my grandmas house (I included 1 picture of the before for reference).

If anyone has in comments/tips/ideas I’m always interested to learn from others experience.

Thanks!

View attachment 1955888

View attachment 1955889

View attachment 1955890

View attachment 1955891
Picture 2 is before and 4 midway. 1 and 3 are drying but I will add a few more coats and use 0000 steel wool to smooth.

Wow, that's awesome. I don't think I've seen another OEM wood restoration here.

What will you do for the painted 'flow/no flow' pictures by the vent adjuster?

Wow, that's awesome. I don't think I've seen another OEM wood restoration here.

What will you do for the painted 'flow/no flow' pictures by the vent adjuster?
I plan on leaving it without. I like the minimalist look and if the passenger can’t figure out if it’s blowing or not, we have larger problems at hand lol.

I really like it. Very nice job. So on the Lexus it's real wood? I thought it was fake......
How about the LC? Does anyone know if it's real or fake on Land Cruisers? I might consider redoing mine if it is actually real wood. Parts of mine look real, like on the center consol, and other parts dont, like around the side vents.

The LC has fake wood. All Lexii have real wood trim. At least, from their origination up through the mid 2000s.

Sanded down to remove the gloss looks great! Please post some pictures when you are done.

I still really like the stock lx470 wood trim, doesn't bother me much.

the low gloss look is so much nicer. in to see it back in the truck. btw, how do you remove the piece around the shifter?

Interested to watch this unfold. My interior is really clean but I am looking to bring it into this decade without losing too much class. I think what you did with wood is an incredible start.

the low gloss look is so much nicer. in to see it back in the truck. btw, how do you remove the piece around the shifter?
I didn’t...for the steering wheel and the shifter I taped them with frog tape and used General finishes exterior 450 matte polyurethane. I applied thin coats with foam brush and steel wool to smooth. I would have preferred to use that on all the wood but the spray enamel is so much quicker

Interested to watch this unfold. My interior is really clean but I am looking to bring it into this decade without losing too much class. I think what you did with wood is an incredible start.
I plan on completing this weekend along with other modifications (I am dying the carpets and repair/dyeing seats the leather seats and also have swapped all exterior lights with LED (I did HID on low and high beams). I will follow thru with an extensive write up when done with everything!!

I plan on completing this weekend along with other modifications (I am dying the carpets and repair/dyeing seats the leather seats and also have swapped all exterior lights with LED (I did HID on low and high beams). I will follow thru with an extensive write up when done with everything!!
Sorry my autocorrect butchered my grammar on that post, I’ll make detailed post and breakdown. I’ll try to make it in word and post pdf so it’s easy to read/use for reference.

I haven’t forgot about the thread! As I was taking the interior apart I’ve opted to do all the changes now. So as of now here is what is done/in progress and I’ll post a detailed write when I get it done.

1) refoam all speakers in the car and replace the OEM subwoofer- 2006 Mark Levinson Subwoofer

2) remove CD player from console and build custom storage cubby (I’ll attach a few pics below but I’ll follow up with write up when all done)

3) add interior ambient led to center console (see pics)

4) add rear hatch camping lights, replace all lights with led (except driving lights I went with HUD)

5) not done yet but sending seats out for reupholstery next week

6) grill and “zombie lights”

I promise I will make a detailed write up with all products I picked when I complete it all. My wife is graduating pharmacy school this weekend so I’m prepping the house for family coming in now.

C2D331A9-1BB3-47B7-B8A1-282D381071B8.jpeg

88333B77-B68C-4872-913E-844222619BA5.jpeg

A3FE86D0-AD09-4603-B801-C27FAD8183C2.jpeg

E12CCE09-8F4D-4C73-A261-BF5C5865FE5F.jpeg

F560C6C3-0F1A-4E03-ABD1-DE8929B588F1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom