LX470 Headlight Condensation. Repair? Replace? Aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jLB

Another one followed me home. Can we keep it?
Threads
The driver side headlight, on our "beater" 1999 LX, that we picked up around Christmas, has a condensation issue:
1585680218693.png

Has anyone had any success clearing something like this, with a heat gun and compressed air or vacuum?

While I'd prefer to do a Luke111 retrofit or Kelly Saad conversion at some point, I'm half tempted to throw some Eagle Eyes (1/2 the price of a single OE headlight, for a pair) aftermarket headlights in there for the time being. Using the search function, I see a number of mentions of aftermarket headlights for the LX470, with very little "post install" information. Is anybody happy with aftermarket LX470 headlights, after a couple of years? Bite the bullet and buy an OE headlight?

Last edited:
The driver side headlight, on our "beater" 1999 LX, that we picked up around Christmas, has a condensation issue:
View attachment 2255473

Has anyone had any success clearing something like this, with a heat gun and compressed air or vacuum?

While I'd prefer to do a Luke111 retrofit or Kelly Saad conversion at some point, I'm half tempted to throw some Eagle Eyes (1/2 the price of a single OE headlight, for a pair) aftermarket headlights in there for the time being. Using the search function, I see a number of mentions of aftermarket headlights for the LX470, with very little "post install" information. Is anybody happy with aftermarket LX470 headlights, after a couple of years? Bite the bullet any buy an OE headlight?

I guess I don't know a ton about condensation (like where it's coming from), but if it's from the front seal: you could just remove the units and reseal them for very close to free. TRS should have the rubber, and it's a super easy process to bake, remove, and reseal.

Reactions: jLB
Hair dryer might work... Check for clogged vent on the headlamp. While blowing air in, you should also be able to check for leaks around the glass lens using soapy water.

Air vent on top left of pic...

Picture 2 of 3

MAke sure you have rear rubber covers. I didn't have any in my LC and got the same condensation. I then made my own covers and later found those are available $4 a piece.

With that much condensation are you sure you have a rear housing cap on? The rear caps also have a rubber O-ring that helps seal out moisture. If the cap looks good and you have no visible cracks in the glass housing.. you could remove and reseal the glass to see if that solves the problem. I would stay away from the eagle eye lights, as you stated no one has produced a single output shot.

With that much condensation are you sure you have a rear housing cap on? The rear caps also have a rubber O-ring that helps seal out moisture. If the cap looks good and you have no visible cracks in the glass housing.. you could remove and reseal the glass to see if that solves the problem. I would stay away from the eagle eye lights, as you stated no one has produced a single output shot.

No visible cracks, chips or other damage to the glass, that I can find.

I haven't had a chance to pull the battery yet, to check for the cap being out of place or missing. Barring rain tomorrow, it's on my to do list, after my "zombie apocalypse" telecommuting obligations are complete.

I'm going to try to coerce the moisture out with a combination of heat gun, vacuum, and compressed air. If that doesn't work, maybe I can work up the courage to try the "bake and open".

Yep, my concern on the aftermarket lights, are the number of "don't these look cool" posts, without much information as to how they function as headlights. I'm not as concerned about "black" or "halos" as I am about actual function.

Check the cap but if your opening your lights ... retrofit them HID and your night driving life will change:)

Yep, but I'd prefer to spend the money to do a proper HID retrofit on my 06 LX DD, before I do it on the cheap, high mileage, extra vehicle :)

For the moment, I'd just like (2) working headlights on the old 99 LX, not the (1) headlight and (1) offend other drivers light that I currently have.

Keep your stock glass housings, do a retrofit. Don't go with a crappy aftermarket light over condensation.

Yep, but I'd prefer to spend the money to do a proper HID retrofit on my 06 LX DD, before I do it on the cheap, high mileage, extra vehicle :)

For the moment, I'd just like (2) working headlights on the old 99 LX, not the (1) headlight and (1) offend other drivers light that I currently have.

I understand...If you plan on the DIY route for the 2006 parts cost is approx $400 but you may want to get one retrofit done as we all know ...it's easier and cleaner the second time around...
I'll be happy to walk you through the process if you need to open that drivers light....you'll want to pickup some RetroRubber Butyl in Grey
My number 703-371-8494

It's my wife's rig and she just has to have the angel eyes with the black LX above. It does modernize the vehicle. Had them for about two years or so. Slight sun damage that you have to be close to the rig to see but will probably be good for a few more years before you need to start buffing them. Of course cheaply built as expected for the price and wires are very fragile so have to be installed with care. I hooked the fluorescent surrounds to the parking light circuit. Might buy another set incase these go bad. She really likes them. Purist would hate it though.

Removing the battery, and removing the low beam "cap", about a teaspoon of water was in the cap :oops:.

Cleaned up that area with a paper towel.

Removed the low beam bulb.

Used a heat gun on low on the glass lens (avoiding the plastic bits), while using a shop vac at the bulb opening.

We may need to repeat at some point, to get it fully dried out, but this procedure seems to have made significant progress, on a headlight that has been continually full of condensation for the last 3 months:
1585944695114.png

Was your cap missing the O-ring? I can order a new cap if you need one. I work at a Lexus dealership.One of my foglights did same thing...it was missing the O-ring that seals the cap to the housing.

It's my wife's rig and she just has to have the angel eyes with the black LX above. It does modernize the vehicle. Had them for about two years or so. Slight sun damage that you have to be close to the rig to see but will probably be good for a few more years before you need to start buffing them. Of course cheaply built as expected for the price and wires are very fragile so have to be installed with care. I hooked the fluorescent surrounds to the parking light circuit. Might buy another set incase these go bad. She really likes them. Purist would hate it though.

For me it has nothing to do about hating them... If they actually produce a better light output then stock lights they'd be a great option but they don't.. Two years and they are starting to fade pretty much sums it up. Do you still have your stock lights if you do PM me as I'm in need of the chrome shrouds ... I'll buy them

Was your cap missing the O-ring? I can order a new cap if you need one. I work at a Lexus dealership.One of my foglights did same thing...it was missing the O-ring that seals the cap to the housing.

With a quick examination, it appeared that it was there and intact, but it looks like I'm going to have to go back in for a round 2 (and I'll give it a more thorough inspection) , as after it cooled off, there's still a very light water vapor inside the headlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom