LX470 Fridge / drawer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last night I completed stage 1 of my drawer / fridge setup in the back of my LX. Thought I'd post it up here in case useful for anyone.

As much as I like the utility of having two drawers, I didn't like how people mount their fridge way up on top of everything. So I went with one side fridge, other side drawer. The split is about 65/35 width wise.

I designed it all from scratch using Sketchup. Construction is all 1/2" Baltic birch simply screwed together. I had the pieces cut by a local wood CNC shop so everything came out very precise which was nice.

I wanted the two halves to be independent in case I just wanted the fridge or the drawer. When they're both in together they hold together using bolts and wing nuts. makes for a quick removal when need be.

Here's the fridge side in process:

IhUndnh.jpg

Here's the whole assembly test fitting in the Cruiser. Drawer will go on the right:

Y87cXtR.jpg

Fridge slide mounted:

E08hGRG.jpg

And here's the finished product with drawer and locking slides:

luXMNRk.jpg

sUIw7jB.jpg

The whole system is anchored at all 4 corners using turnbuckles attached to the D rings in the floor. Then I ran 2 bolts between the two halves with wing nuts to hold the halves together:

mWQsGVN.jpg

Fun project overall. I consider myself to have almost zero knowledge of woodworking and it took me 2 weekends, which included waiting for some parts.

Looks nice. It would be interesting to note and share AHC pressure sensor data as you modify and add weight.

Looks nice. It would be interesting to note and share AHC pressure sensor data as you modify and add weight.

Yeah to be honest when I last checked mine with Techstream, I was already a bit high on the rear pressure. I'm sure this isn't going to help.

Next up will most likely be OEM AHC springs with a small spacer. Don't think I have enough weight to warrant the 70 Kings yet

That looks great! I am about to make a second drawer setup to accommodate a fridge and was envisioning exact same thing. How about a cover for the fridge area when not in use?

That looks great! I am about to make a second drawer setup to accommodate a fridge and was envisioning exact same thing. How about a cover for the fridge area when not in use?

Yeah I might do that. Or else it's easy enough to just pull the whole unit out of the car when I'm not using it

Super nice build - hats off to you! I consider myself a pretty good woodworker but I’ve never used sketchup, nor have I had any CNC experience. It looks outstanding. I’m working on a build that can be removed and throw the 3rd row seats back in when I need to. This definitely provides inspiration. I like your hold down method as well.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! If you don’t mind my asking how much does a shop charge for a service like that?

Excellent build! Thinking about modifying my drawers to get the fridge a little lower. I have an ICECO that looks similar to yours.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing! If you don’t mind my asking how much does a shop charge for a service like that?

I paid around $400 including the cost of the wood. That got me a stack of labeled sheets of wood and all I had to do was screw it all together. Almost went together like legos and I'm a very inexperienced wood worker.

Happy to provide the contact info of the shop that did it, but he's in San Francisco so not sure what shipping would look like.

that’s pretty awesome! I’ve been wanting to build a 4 x 8 cnc for years just for sheet goods for just this reason. Thanks for sharing!

What kind of slide is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom