LX470 2000 shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Looking to replace shocks on lx470 2000. AHC has already been replaced with spring loaded shocks. Can’t figure out where those shocks were bought as I had no luck finding similar ones. I did replace them with Gabriel shocks but I don’t like them so trying to find spring ones. They kinda look like GX470 2003 shocks. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hello. Looking to replace shocks on lx470 2000. AHC has already been replaced with spring loaded shocks. Can’t figure out where those shocks were bought as I had no luck finding similar ones. I did replace them with Gabriel OE shocks but I don’t like them so trying to find spring ones. They kinda look like GX470 2003 shocks. Any ideas?
Oem shocks be cheap

I have a 2000 LX470 with AHC removed too. I'm running OEM Toyota 2000 Landcruiser shocks. They are awesome. I will probably have to replace them if I put front and rear bumpers on

I have a 2000 LX470 with AHC removed too. I'm running OEM Toyota 2000 Landcruiser shocks. They are awesome. I will probably have to replace them if I put front and rear bumpers on
Do you have the link to the ones you’re using?
These are the ones I tried and aren’t that great. I’m really hoping to find spring loaded ones.

I don't, I'm sure someone on here does. I just asked Toyota to put on OEM Landcruiser shocks

I will probably have to replace them if I put front and rear bumpers on
Nope, only need to replace coil springs and torsion bars. Shocks will be fine.

Other shocks had given it a bit of lift and ride was good too, but with Gabriel it has gotten pretty low and doesn’t really have shock absorption

What do you mean by "shock absorption"? Is the system underdamped or overdamped? When hitting bumps, does the rig wallow up and down a bit after initial impact, kind of like a floaty feel, or is it jiggly as all get out over bumps?

I just replaced the front & rears last week at 225k miles. I bought OEM Toyota shocks from an on-line dealer, 4 new shocks plus shipping was about $200. Fronts are easy, 10 minutes per side. The top nut can be reached from the outside above the tire with a 7/8" or 22mm ratcheting box end wrench. There is enough room underneath to get to the lower bolt without a jack. The rears are a bit harder to get to the top nut. I used a longer rigid box end wrench and a pipe wrench on the shock tube to break it loose and held the top nut steady and rotated the tube with the pipe wrench until it was easy enough to rotate the tube by hand. The passenger side is harder to reach the top nut but used the same method. The old shocks seemed as stiff as the new ones but the new ones ride much better.

The oem ones are cheap, but alot of the shocks on rock auto also come with the washers and bushings. The oem shocks only come with the bushings. It kills the deal somewhat if you want or need washers.

What do you mean by "shock absorption"? Is the system underdamped or overdamped? When hitting bumps, does the rig wallow up and down a bit after initial impact, kind of like a floaty feel, or is it jiggly as all get out over bumps?
It doesn’t jiggle or feels floaty but feels like as if shocks are already squished and hits too hard into bumps. Sometime makes me feel like if I’ve the shocks

The oem ones are cheap, but alot of the shocks on rock auto also come with the washers and bushings. The oem shocks only come with the bushings. It kills the deal somewhat if you want or need washers.
I got from rock auto posted the link to the ones I’ve installed right now. If I get OEM how much difference you think it’ll make compare to those?

Last edited:
by any chance do you have coil-over installed?
send a picture.
This is what I had previously. Only reason I had to take them out, one of them leaked

C8C21322-D4B8-495A-831C-FC693ABD6A1D.jpeg

Last edited:
I just replaced the front & rears last week at 225k miles. I bought OEM Toyota shocks from an on-line dealer, 4 new shocks plus shipping was about $200. Fronts are easy, 10 minutes per side. The top nut can be reached from the outside above the tire with a 7/8" or 22mm ratcheting box end wrench. There is enough room underneath to get to the lower bolt without a jack. The rears are a bit harder to get to the top nut. I used a longer rigid box end wrench and a pipe wrench on the shock tube to break it loose and held the top nut steady and rotated the tube with the pipe wrench until it was easy enough to rotate the tube by hand. The passenger side is harder to reach the top nut but used the same method. The old shocks seemed as stiff as the new ones but the new ones ride much better.
Do you have the link ?

It sounds like you may have the AHC springs/torsion bars still installed, that don’t have the spring rate to support the vehicle without the hydraulic (AHC) system.

Maybe you should be looking for non-AHC springs/torsion bars instead of shocks...

It’s unlikely that you’d have this Russian coil over setup, but just in case:

Last edited:
It sounds like you may have the AHC springs/torsion bars still installed, that don’t have the spring rate to support the vehicle without the hydraulic (AHC) system.

Maybe you should be looking for non-AHC springs/torsion bars instead of shocks...

It’s unlikely that you’d have this Russian coil over setup, but just in case:
This makes more sense why it isn’t holding up. Seems bit of work tho. Was hoping to find coiled shocks to save myself trouble

So I’ve been able to replace shocks but the vehicle is lower from one side. I haven’t tried yet but will the torsion bar adjustment make difference or could it be something else ?

Does anyone know if these t bars will fit LX470 2000? Just not sure what late models/f100 in description mean
And If following old emu 2866 work? There are just too many serial numbers to choose from with that range. Not looking for lift

Does anyone know if these t bars will fit LX470 2000? Just not sure what late models/f100 in description mean
And If following old emu 2866 work? There are just too many serial numbers to choose from with that range. Not looking for lift

They should both be compatible for for a US lx470. Dunno if there is anything different in up north but I assume they are the same. The one thing I know is that a foreign market RHD IFS Gas 100 at a junk yard had torsion bars that were too short. I personally am running 2865 springs and ARB 303001 bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom