LX470 (1999) Crank/Won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, long time reader here (although only just registered), great post on suspension that fixed Bucking Bronco issue and replace my accumulators (saved me $$$'s).

So my 1999 LX470 cranks but won't start (250K miles). Symptoms are as follows:

- Has intermittent start issues, but not won't start 100% of the time. (past issues difficult to diagnose due to location/other drivers own household)
- When key inserts/security key light on center console does not stop flashing
- Tried with a second key, it still does not stop flashing
- Check wiring around the ignition column/switch and any wires loose to amplifier/coil
- Inserted scantool, fails to establish a link

Things tried so far:
- Check all fuzes on the engine compartment fuse box and the foot well fusebox. Nothing is blown
- Read thread on crank/does not start and the fuse bypass. Have jumped /bypassed the fusebox for the main relay in case I have the fusebox issue. No change in symotoms
- Pulled the main relay/tested - no issues. 12v in input causes audible click and open changes to 0ohm on output
- Repeated the same test for both IGN1 & IGN2 relays. No change of symptoms
- Pulled the Engine ECU from behind the glove compartment (I tired to buzz out power but don't have the right wiring diagram)
- With Engine ECU out, still unable to get a link from the scantool (does this mean another ECU on the scan bus is killing the link?)
- With Engine ECU, did a visual of the circuit board, can't see anything obvious.

Any other suggestions? Wasn't able to see where the key ECU, supposed to be up above the Enginee ECU?

Hi folks, long time reader here (although only just registered), the great post on suspension fixed my Bucking Bronco issue when I replaced the accumulators (saved me $$$'s).

So my 1999 LX470 cranks but won't start (it has 250K miles). Symptoms are as follows:

- It previously had intermittent start issues, but now it won't start 100% of the time (past issues were difficult to diagnose due to location/other drivers in household at time of failure)
- When the key is inserted, the security light on center console does not stop flashing
- Tried with a second key, but the light still does not stop flashing
- Checked wiring around the ignition column/switch for any loose wires near the antenna coil
- Inserted scan tool, which is unable to establish a link (checked on a second vehicle and tool works fine). Also tried paper clip in DLC1/diag port to get instrument cluster flash codes. Nothing

Things tried so far:
- Checked all fuses on the engine compartment fuse box and the foot well fuse box. Nothing is blown
- Read thread on crank/does not start and the fuse bypass. Have tried jumping /bypassed the fuse box for the main relay in case I have the fuse box issue. No change in symptoms
- Pulled the main relay/tested - no issues. 12v in input causes audible click and open changes to 0ohm on output
- Repeated the same test for both IGN1 & IGN2 relays. No change of symptoms
- Pulled the Engine ECU from behind the glove compartment (I tired to buzz out the power but don't have the right wiring diagram)
- With Engine ECU out, still unable to get a link from the scan tool (does this mean another ECU on the scan bus is killing the link?)
- With Engine ECU, did a visual of the circuit board, can't see anything obvious.

Any other suggestions? Wasn't able to see where the transponder ECU, supposed to be up above the Engine ECU?
Fixing grammar/typo's (sorry don't have edit permissions yet) - amended in the quote above

My bad, looks like I do have the fuse box issue. I had originally tried jumping E & F of the main relay, but not F direct from battery. The no link on the scan tool threw me. When I jumped F direct from battery the security light went out/started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom