LX450 Transmission question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a strange buzzing sound coming from underneath. I'm guessing it's coming from the transmission. It only makes the sound once warmed up and only when in gear at an idle or low RPM. If I put it in park or neutral or just give a little gas while in gear it goes away. I've crawled underneath but can't seem to pinpoint it. It's a very distinct buzzing sound, not a rattling noise. I was wondering if any of y'all might have an idea?

Have you checked the speedometer cable for tightness?

There is no "speedo cable" as such. It's a wire connection and its counting pulses off a sending unit attached to the transfer case and transmitting those pulses.

When in gear and the drive train "loaded" against the brakes, the engine and trans shift in their mounts, could the exhaust be rubbing a heat shield?
Also the drive train will transmit vibrations when the system loads up, could be a number of things buzzing under there, heat shields, exhaust pipes on the frame, loose suspension mounts, etc etc.

Do a search here for "transmission" and "buzz" This is a "common" noise and I'm not sure anyone has exactly pinpointed it. Some have stated a trans rebuild, others live with it and drive it tens of thousands of miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom