LX450 Stereo wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is what I used. Was on the shelf at walmart.

Screenshot_20180215-115026.png

I had success! Made this up to help explain to people. IF YOU HAVE the extra unused plugs behind the factory stereo (many LC do) then you can JUST use the Scosche TA02B adapter. If they aren't there, to bypass the amp you need more.

IMG_20180223_121658.jpg

@asutherland The version I see on Amazon for the Metra 70-8112 has RCA plugs on one end of them. Is this correct? Are you just cutting them and splicing them in?

@JLH911 I ended up making the same harness and you can just tape up the RCA connections if you like. I cut mine off for space.

@JLH911 I ended up making the same harness and you can just tape up the RCA connections if you like. I cut mine off for space.

Wait a minute, I'm confused. The wiring kit harness has two ends. One end is the plastic plug and the other end is the RCA plugs. Are you talking about different RCA plugs or the one that's part of the harness? What use would the harness be if the RCA plugs are taped up or is that part of the harness just not used?

Thanks

In short the RCA plugs are just not used in this configuration.
It won't make sense to you until you yank out your amp and original head unit. If you just went to walmart and picked up the wiring adaptor for Toyota(Scosche shown above) you would find the plugs don't work behind the stereo at all. However they would connect in where the amp is located behind that right dash speaker. the Metra kit that is needed for the LX assumes you are going to use the amp still (which no one seems to get working well with after market headunits). So you are chopping up the two kits indicated above and lengthening them as well as including the wiring harness from your new after market headunit. Look in the picture above you can see the top plug has some bundle of wires that are just cut in a heatshrink tube. Those were RCA connections previously that I didn't use and cut off.

In short the RCA plugs are just not used in this configuration.
It won't make sense to you until you yank out your amp and original head unit. If you just went to walmart and picked up the wiring adaptor for Toyota(Scosche shown above) you would find the plugs don't work behind the stereo at all. However they would connect in where the amp is located behind that right dash speaker. the Metra kit that is needed for the LX assumes you are going to use the amp still (which no one seems to get working well with after market headunits). So you are chopping up the two kits indicated above and lengthening them as well as including the wiring harness from your new after market headunit. Look in the picture above you can see the top plug has some bundle of wires that are just cut in a heatshrink tube. Those were RCA connections previously that I didn't use and cut off.

Thanks. Yeah, once I enlarged the picture and put my reading glasses on, I could see that the harness had the RCA plugs cut off. It makes sense now.

Thanks. Yeah, once I enlarged the picture and put my reading glasses on, I could see that the harness had the RCA plugs cut off. It makes sense now.

Sorry for the delay in reply. You guys are correct - the RCA's are not used in this configuration. They WOULD be used if you kept the factory amp. In this case, I cut them off as they would never be used.

A

So Did you connect the ground? First image shows black wire doing nothing. Also many recommend running a new power. I put in an second fuse box and ran a dedicated fuse just for the stereo.

The black on the amp side is not connected I suppose. Maybe I spaced out on that. I was a bit rushed trying to finish up. (You can see that half the harness was soldered and shrink tubed and the other half was just taped due to needing to check out of my hotel room).

I know there has been a lot posted about this but after spending a lot of time reading through a bunch of info I was somewhat lost in misinformation and discrepencies. I accidentally came across a really easy way to wire an LX450 aftermarket deck so I thought I would share the info for anyone else searching for info.

My method requires no cutting and splicing of the already short AF factory wiring. This is a plug and play method with minimal running of wires to bypass the factory amp.

You will need one Scosche TA012 and TWO Metra 70-8112 wiring kits or suitable replacements. You will also need approx 8' of speaker (2 conductor) cable and a pile of red butt splices

After removing the factory amp from behind the passenger side lower dash speaker, you will have 3 plugs that were plugged into the amp. 2 of the plugs from the TA012 are used and one of the Metra plugs is used. Match up the wiring color for color and extend the left over speaker wiring to your deck harness speaker wires. On the deck end, just match color for color. The RCA plugs on the Metra kits aren't used (I chose to cut them off, taping them off is unnecessary as they are only connected to dead end wiring in the vehicle harness)

I put this all together by accident and it worked! The power antenna works with the deck and the deck lighting dims with the headlight switch as it should.

View attachment 1288533

View attachment 1288534

View attachment 1288535

View attachment 1288536

If these pictures were labeled that would be amazing.

Anyone know which of these two factory plugs does what? I ordered one Scosche TA02B and one Metra 70-8112 and only the 70-8112 fits the factory plug(white) on the left, but the neither of them fit the gray plug. What gives?

20181125_160057.jpg

I don't think i used the grey one behind the dash. I am not going to be near my LX for a week or so, but I am pretty sure that is just tucked back away. I think someone mentioned that there is a plug on some LC that bypasses the amp, maybe that is it. I don't remember.

On the LX one goes to the CD changer. You need to look above at the directions on how to bypass the factory amp which is behind/to the right of the glove box.

CD changer...that makes sense. I just didn't want to leave it hanging if it actually need to be plugged in.

I had success! Made this up to help explain to people. IF YOU HAVE the extra unused plugs behind the factory stereo (many LC do) then you can JUST use the Scosche TA02B adapter. If they aren't there, to bypass the amp you need more.

View attachment 1648500

Question, so to make this wiring harness, you need two of the 70-8112 kits, correct? Also, in your last sentence you state "If they aren't there, to bypass the amp you need more." More what?

Thanks!

You are over thinking it. The "more" you need is the harness you are making. Also yes you need two metra kits. Look at the beginning of this thread last picture where the full harness is created and in view. You will see that one end has the head unit plug wired in To one metra adaptor and the rest of the leads are extended to the other metra u it and the 4 plug adaptor (of which you will only use 2). Look closely and you can see that both metra adapors have had the RCA wires cut off. In short of it isn't the head unit plug or that scosche 4 plug then they are the metra adaptors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom