LX450 Speakers Replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I have read what feels like every single thread on speaker replacement. I tried to find the answer on my own from past info but I cannot seem to get the answers I am looking for.

I am trying to find out if anyone has replaced the front door speakers in a LX450? How about the dash speakers? Is there a factory direct fit replacement that allows me to keep my stock grills?

How about rear door speakers? Factory grills?

Thanks for your help.

Robb
1997 LX450 no lockers :(

Just wish they made it easy to replace a bad speaker or up-grade. Ah well -- I guess I will try these ideas.

Thanks

Robb

'96 LX - new speakers all around

rcropp,

All of my speakers were toast when I recently bought my LX. I followed Nakman's procedure to install 6 1/2" Pioneer TS-G1641R's in the front (I later went back and installed 3/8" weatherstripping around the speakers) and I believe it was Skillet's procedure to install 4" Pioneer TS-1040R's in the rear doors. All ebay buys, $40 for the front, $36 for the rears (shipped)

In the front's especially, i had to back off the screws such that the speaker wasn't displacing the window channel, look down the innards of the door as you tighten.

Per multiple recommendations, I unhooked the dash speakers (I did this later and didn't notice a difference - I think the issue was power consumption and amp health (I'm ignorant when it comes to that sort of thing).

I found a replacement sub on ebay. It works really well and rounds out the sound as well as a gynormous 5" bass speaker can. Even though it's 5" instead of 4", no mod required for install. Ebay $14

After buttoning up the door panels, I honestly didn't notice a bulge. It all snapped back into place nicely, with all original grills, and sounds pretty darn good for an 11-year old stock setup.

Easy and cheap upgrade. Follow the procedure that these wizards have posted. Good luck.:cheers:

RSE-130 but they also make a similar one that’s a little cheaper RSC I think. I’ll try these in the next few weeks I’m in the middle of a lift and bumper first

I just put the following into my LX. They were cheap and available locally at Best Buy.

Front doors - Pioneer TS-G650, 6.5" coax, $50
Back doors - Pioneer TSG-400, 4" coax, $50

The front doors needed a 1/4" spacer to clear the window track. I made some out of heavy duty, double-wall cardboard and added a foam insulation strip on the back to seal the speaker against the door. For the rear doors, I had to cut the center portion of the mounting basket out so the speaker magnets would clear. There are also no holes to secure the speakers to the mounting frame, so they'll need to be glued it. I used a 5 minute epoxy and let them sit for an hour or so before re-installing into the doors.

All in all, took me a couple hours to do both front and rear door speakers. Front door panels need to come off, rear door panels can stay on (just pop grill cover off). Worthy investment as my factory speakers were totally shot. The Pioneer speakers aren't top of the line in sound quality, but, they work, which makes them better than the factory speakers. :D

I just put the following into my LX. They were cheap and available locally at Best Buy.

Front doors - Pioneer TS-G650, 6.5" coax, $50
Back doors - Pioneer TSG-400, 4" coax, $50

The front doors needed a 1/4" spacer to clear the window track. I made some out of heavy duty, double-wall cardboard and added a foam insulation strip on the back to seal the speaker against the door. For the rear doors, I had to cut the center portion of the mounting basket out so the speaker magnets would clear. There are also no holes to secure the speakers to the mounting frame, so they'll need to be glued it. I used a 5 minute epoxy and let them sit for an hour or so before re-installing into the doors.

All in all, took me a couple hours to do both front and rear door speakers. Front door panels need to come off, rear door panels can stay on (just pop grill cover off). Worthy investment as my factory speakers were totally shot. The Pioneer speakers aren't top of the line in sound quality, but, they work, which makes them better than the factory speakers. :D
Did you take any pictures of the install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom