LX450 Getting 8 miles a gallon! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m new to the forum and new to the 80 series. I just bought a 1997 LX450 it has a 3.5 in Dobinson lift with 37’s been re geared with 4:88. It’s currently getting only 8 miles a gallon. Does anyone have some advice on where to start trouble shooting the poor gas mileage?

8 mph is pretty low. I’m getting 12 mph average with a mix of highway and city on 37’s with 5.29’s.

The list to improve gas mileage is fairly short. Tune-up, replace spark plus, O2 sensors, vacuum lines, and charcoal canister.

Replace fuel pump
“The fuel injection mapping assumes fuel pressure is adequate. Based on air meter and o2 sensor inputs the ECM adjusts fuel injector “on time”(duty cycle). If the fuel pressure is weak, the air meter/o2 reports a lean condition and the on time is increased. The injectors are on longer, and the combustion is less efficient(think piston movement vs injection timing/length)... you could say the ECM was running you fuel injectors at the equivalent of wide open throttle while your foot was at half throttle. Hence the better economy and power.”

Here’s some threads to help.

Last edited:
8 mph is pretty low. I’m getting 12 mph average with a mix of highway and city on 37’s with 5.29’s.

The list to improve gas mileage is fairly short. Tune-up, replace spark plus, O2 sensors, vacuum lines, and charcoal canister.

Replace fuel pump
“The fuel injection mapping assumes fuel pressure is adequate. Based on air meter and o2 sensor inputs the ECM adjusts fuel injector “on time”(duty cycle). If the fuel pressure is weak, the air meter/o2 reports a lean condition and the on time is increased. The injectors are on longer, and the combustion is less efficient(think piston movement vs injection timing/length)... you could say the ECM was running you fuel injectors at the equivalent of wide open throttle while your foot was at half throttle. Hence the better economy and power.”

Here’s some threads to help.

Thanks for the detailed response. Good places to start.

Make sure your brakes aren't dragging and you have about 33 to 35 psi in your tires. It makes a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom