LX450 Front Door Panel Fell off - How do I reattach this thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife, lover of automatic car washes, came home with the door panel ripped off her 1996 LX450 by the automatic car wash.

this is the door panel, drivers side.
P1260028%20Medium.jpg

on the back of the door panel are all these little slots for clips, that are still in the door. Here's the back of the panel:
2017-03-25%2011.24.22.jpg

Those little black clips appear to be molded right into the plastic of the trim piece using little metal shapes, which look like they rusted. Here's a clip that's torn off:

2017-03-25%2011.25.06.jpg

See how it's sorta rusty at each end? It looks like little metal pieces got molded into the thing and they rusted out but it's hard to see for sure.

this is what it looks like on the door side, a little plastic remnant where it broke off...
2017-03-25%2011.24.28.jpg

The clips fit right back where they tore out, but just don't stay, they sit there perfectly, they just won't stay;
2017-03-25%2011.24.28.jpg

So what's the best way to reattach this thing? I think there are two options:

JBWeld and Shoe Goo.

I am thinking of cleaning the breaks/mount points, putting a pretty solid dab of shoe goo at each and and setting them back in place and letting it cure for a couple days.

JBWeld is strong but brittle. This trim piece is plastic and is going to vibrate around and shake, so I think Shoe Goo, being strong but flexible might be better.

Any better ideas?

I have had pretty good luck using Amazon.com: J-B Weld 8237 PlasticWeld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty - 2 oz.: Automotive

I used it to fix the doo-dads in my steering wheel clam shell, the back lift handle for the rear door and a number of other things. You might be able to use that if you can roughen up the surface. What I like about it is that you can set it up exactly how you want without having to hope that nothing slumps or slips when it is drying the way things sometimes do when you use something more like a glue or regular JB Weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom