Project Fubar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After talking last night I figured that it would be very apparent on the alignment chart. I was disappointed when I saw the chart and there was no smoking gun, lol.

Try using a straight edge or something to see if it's not straight. Would be hard to establish a reference though. I can not think of anything else that would cause axle splines to wear off other than misalignment, which means bent axle housing.

To me at least.
Yeah I really should have looked at the axle housing closer when that happened but it never occurred to me that could be the issue.

The crazy thing is I really don’t think I’ve done anything that would bend the housing while I’ve owned it. And if that’s the case it means it survived over five years with a bent housing before the splines let loose.

Got some parts in the mail today. Figured I’d go ahead and drop the windshield washer pump on.
38AF4D04-53FE-4740-9735-D893D1D5EE3F.jpeg
It looks like the old one had been repaired at some point and started to leak again. The new one works great and I get a nice spray now instead of the dribble of the old one.

Next on the list is to pull and rebuild the starter.

Front axle. Initially I thought it was just worn out bushings, but it’s still doing it with new bushings.

I already swapped radius arms from side to side to see if I had a bent arm. No dice.

View attachment 2665484
Honestly, I don’t think this means a bent axle housing.
my passenger side control arm looks just like this. But, maybe my axle housing is bent also. I have had zero issues with my axles though, so I’m thinking this might not be a big an issue as you think. Or at least hoping it’s not.

What if your control arms don't like the new bushings?

Last edited:
The control arms looked the same with the old bushings so I don’t think the new bushings made any effect.

If it was just the control arm being a little out of wack I wouldn’t be worried about it.

It’s that in addition to this that has me concerned:
73E87E83-8BEB-4098-97F2-0EEC61470934.jpeg
FFFFD19D-3BDC-4BC1-97AC-D802CEA81963.jpeg

@SFROMAN if your control arm looks like mine I would keep a close eye on your front differential oil for shavings. You could also try swapping control arms to see if the arm itself is bent.

I swapped my control arms. I changed my bushings. And zero issues.
my assumption was that the issue was a bent bracket so just never bothered with mine and I have had zero issues with 2 trips to California one including running the Rubicon.
Again, that still doesn’t mean that my housing isnt bent.
I will just continue to keep a close eye on it for now.
min the near future I will be pulling both thirds out to regear and I will give everything a real good inspection at that point.

@MyWhiteSheep came by and helped me swap axles today. The radius arms are more or less centered now which pretty much confirms the bent axle theory.

The new axle came with castor correction plates installed so I need to figure out the spec for longer bolts before I can get the rig back on the road to have the alignment done.

Then it’ll be time to strip the old axle down to the housing and do a knuckle job on the new axle.
806D6DBC-8447-4E0E-9C93-407295FB7F10.jpeg
B13EDA18-FC67-4D70-B431-CBB40DE2ACA6.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had some new brake hoses laying around for a while. I was planning on replacing the soft lines in the rear and ordered the caliper lines and an extended line for the middle.

At least I thought I did. Somehow I ended up with one caliper line and two of the extended lines.

Stock vs extended
77B1F8AB-0902-477E-8707-70825C8EA04A.jpeg

I went ahead and installed the extended line today. Should have plenty of slack now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom