Project Fubar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I figured it was time to put together a basic build thread and officially introduce myself.

I moved to NC a few months back due to being stationed at Fort Bragg. For the six years prior I lived down in Savannah, GA

I found my LX in Charleston around five years ago. When I got it it was in pretty rough shape mechanically but was good enough to drive home. First things I did were to remove the damage multiplier and running boards. Both of which were dented and damaged. This is what it looked like when I got it home.
4D711A13-6BC4-4B1C-A706-3B190DC339DB.jpeg

After that I installed a TJM front bumper and warn winch that was originally for a 105 series. It bolted right up but of course the body doesn’t match so it’s not pretty.
E9F05746-49FA-43E1-B421-0E0D7406EBAF.jpeg

After a number of repairs including new Tre’s, a upgraded tie rod and drag link from bud built, an ome lift to replace the worn out stock suspension along with a number of other repairs I was able to track down a set of FJ Cruiser steel rims to replace the ones that came on it.
Lift
29F21F4A-4589-4CA7-B782-B7B7CE409E3B.jpeg

New rims
C8FDE95D-1B35-4F4D-BCB5-143EC0B40188.jpeg

Continued

Last edited:
Interior

My leather seats were shot as usual for leather equipped 80’s.
I was lucky enough to find a set of cloth manual seats and door cards. I also got a nice set of carpet at the same time.The seats were in a little rougher shape then I would have with liked with rust on the frames from sitting so I ended up tearing them down and cleaning them up. Including adding new foam to the drivers seat base.
29C6D2AF-314A-48F2-A3B7-F75D954406F1.jpeg
F033B5B4-049F-424E-94EB-B30D98BFB6BE.jpeg
1F38EFC8-E926-4457-BA57-E16DAD30BA41.jpeg
FFD0AF72-25BB-46F1-8E67-408436865F01.jpeg
3D62BA22-D050-4907-9BDE-789598351033.jpeg

Continued

Last edited:
As you may have noticed in the last post my center console is not stock. The standard console was falling apart and I didn’t care for the lack of room due to the sub and cd changer.
I found a write up on mud about using a large Ammo can as a console and did my own version of it.
66A66FD9-0D4C-47A9-80D3-99B59FF05040.jpeg
EABD1D79-5E26-4BCD-BE5C-B48BDCA69048.jpeg
A1FFF102-2937-4FD6-AAB2-397661AAC358.jpeg
2EE2E258-5DD2-4F5C-B5A9-A08338AF8635.jpeg

Not shown are the gas struts that hold the lid open and the combo lock I installed in place of the key lock. The top cubby is from a Scion tC that I recovered in matching material to the seats. Makes a much more comfortable arm rest then the metal can.

Continued

Misc

For body work I have deleted the stock roof rack and wind deflector. I also sanded down and painted the hood since it was in rough shape. Long term plans are to bed line the entire body.
C0568AF9-111E-4050-866F-64E5D5F11F9D.jpeg
8A3B28C8-7903-4213-AA9D-C19CC759BEE1.jpeg

The flares were just removed as well in preparation for body work. (There was tons of mud and clay trapped back there)
ED0D887F-AE96-43BD-B196-B916A291F3FE.jpeg

Only other notable things are the addition of a rear Aussie locker and new exhaust from the y pipe back routed over the frame.

Currently working on the front axle to get the rig back on the road. The rims are also going to get a fresh coat of paint while they are off. Then on to fixing some oil leaks and installing new belts and a new modified fan clutch. After that a rear bumper (leaning towards 4x4 labs) and sliders are the next things on the list.

I’m sure I forgot plenty but that’s the quick overview. I’d be happy to answer any questions and I’m looking forward to living in a area with an active club!

Misc

For body work I have deleted the stock roof rack and wind deflector. I also sanded down and painted the hood since it was in rough shape. Long term plans are to bed line the entire body. View attachment 2513735View attachment 2513739
The flares were just removed as well in preparation for body work. (There was tons of mud and clay trapped back there)
View attachment 2513744
Only other notable things are the addition of a rear Aussie locker and new exhaust from the y pipe back routed over the frame.

Currently working on the front axle to get the rig back on the road. The rims are also going to get a fresh coat of paint while they are off. Then on to fixing some oil leaks and installing new belts and a new modified fan clutch. After that a rear bumper (leaning towards 4x4 labs) and sliders are the next things on the list.

I’m sure I forgot plenty but that’s the quick overview. I’d be happy to answer any questions and I’m looking forward to living in a area with an active club!

View attachment 2513741
I Raptor lined mine w/custom paint. I like the look and texture, but the rumor is that the liner drops the re-sale value. If you don't care about that (which I didn't/don't), then line it up 👍🏽👍🏽

I Raptor lined mine w/custom paint. I like the look and texture, but the rumor is that the liner drops the re-sale value. If you don't care about that (which I didn't/don't), then line it up 👍🏽👍🏽
I’m planning on using montsaliner on mine. I’m not worried about the resale and it should help to hide all the holes in the body from flares and cladding.

I’m planning on using montsaliner on mine. I’m not worried about the resale and it should help to hide all the holes in the body from flares and cladding.
We spot welded the holes on mine

We spot welded the holes on mine
I think it’s something like 110 holes on the LX. Would make for a lot of welding and there is no way to get behind some of the holes so you can’t paint them after welding. Right now the plan is some aluminum tape covered by the liner unless I can think of a better way.

I’m glad to see you made it out of Beaufort and up into the hills ! Hope to see you when I do get up into NC - typically to URE once a year.

I’m glad to see you made it out of Beaufort and up into the hills ! Hope to see you when I do get up into NC - typically to URE once a year.

Looking forward to it! Maybe I will actually show up in the LX instead of the wife’s FJC this time.

Love it.

Is advise against the raptor/monster liner over the whole truck. I did mine in raptor liner 9 years ago now with the club's help and it hid a ton of rot that developed in that time. Other parts that cracked after denting held moisture and caused more rot. I spent many weeks stripping it all off earlier this year, then many more weeks repairing the rot I didn't know was there.

Lower body line, yes. Whole truck, I wouldn't.

Nice!

Agreed with johnny about the raptor liner, I have it on the lower of mine and still have rust that needs to be addressed. The raptor liner itself has held up great but rust is making its way through now. Looks great but long term it has its flaws.
IMG_4204_Original.jpg
IMG_2404.jpg

Thanks for the advise guys. The only reason I was planning on doing the whole truck was due to the paint on the hood, fenders and roof being in rough shape. So if I don’t use liner I’ll have to figure out some other way to fix that portion of the body.

Nice progress so far. I work on Bragg also but I rarely drive my LX450 to work.
i also recommend against lining the whole truck which I was going to do also before I saw the hell that Johny went through to strip the liner and fix the rust on his 60.
Now I plan to paint the whole truck and weld in all 1000 holes.

Thanks for the advise guys. The only reason I was planning on doing the whole truck was due to the paint on the hood, fenders and roof being in rough shape. So if I don’t use liner I’ll have to figure out some other way to fix that portion of the body.

Paint isn't that bad. @izzyandsue painted his roof white earlier this year with good success in his driveway, and I painted my truck in my garage earlier this year. If you're not up for that, a grand or so at a paint shop will be better than faded/oxidized paint, and far better than raptor liner imho.

Revived my cargo barrier from wits end today. This is the “unspeakable horror” version which is supposed to have damaged powder coat. I was unable to find damage of any kind.

If anyone wants a cargo barrier this is a good way to save a few dollars.
9ABC8B22-143C-4FC2-A596-FDE478E6F3F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Had someone get stuck while duck hunting a few weeks ago. This happened while I was trying to reach them for recovery.
0A34C6D6-65E1-465D-92C4-D50C71CBEBCE.jpeg

Thankfully @MyWhiteSheep was able to come pull me out using his kinetic rope. I made it most of the way home before my alternator quit on me.

This lead to a bunch of maintenance I’ve been delaying. This includes a new fuel filter, alternator, water pump, harmonic balancer, idler bearings, belts, fan clutch, fan blade, fan shroud and fixing some oil leaks.

As of today it’s back together and running again.
2BE97857-93C0-4CCD-A6D3-1789221B39FC.jpeg

3D142B30-47D7-430E-95E9-4EAF66EAB8DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom