Builds LX450: Baja surf trip build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Make sure not to ruin the lives of the surf community this time! Lol

I’ll try not to let on that people surf in Baja. I promise

Lol good deal. People are like that around here with their ski and snowboarding. If they find some amazing spot, they get all worked up if someone else happens upon it. Kind of like when you're the "first one to hear a band" before they become popular lol.

Anyhow, I'm pretty jealous of your trip. I went to Rosarito one time and had a blast. It's on the to-do list in the future.

Yeah I certainly get it. I'm a backcountry skier too. I 100% support not blowing up a spot or rolling up with 40 of your friends. My only issue was the people shading me for talking about Baja at all. There is a surf guide to Baja that is in its 5th edition LOL. I used to live in Costa Rica and had tons of secret spots. I didn't share. Yet everyone seemed to be ok with the idea the costa rica was a great surf destination :meh:

This is the coolest reason to have a cruise if you ask me. With google earth and my rig I know I can go anywhere I want to see if there is a new spot around the corner.

Surf frontiers have moved towards the poles. Places so cold you hope someone else is out, for safety and companionship.

Enjoy your trips.

More progress!

Wife approved Baja trip for whatever length I want to do! Pretty rad considering we have a wild child 6-month old :smokin:

I got my LX wheels back from powder coat. Look almost brand new! This means I can buy tires today. I'm looking for 2 LX wheel caps if anybody has some.

fresh wheels.jpg

Still making slow progress on my suspension rebuild. @Shoredreamer is amazing! Here helped me tear into a spare tase this past week. Took about an hour to get it all apart. New dewalt impact wrench made it easy peasy. Now just need to press on the new gears and get it installed :frown:

TCase tear down_1.jpg

tcase tear down_2.jpg

Dude, this is the sickest thread of all time. Mindsurfing and mudding right along with you. Thanks so much for all the detail and inspiration. East coaster hoping to make the Baja run in my 100 next summer before succumbing to full time adulthood.

There is a lot of great information to parse and help plan out the full build. Cheers and thanks for everything!

I got out to Hollister Hills this past weekend with the Santa Cruz 80 series crew. Maybe its placebo effect but the new 35s made all the obstacles way easier. It also showed how much I need to get my regeared tcase installed. Needed lower low range to crawl up on all the rocks

Videos of me doing some bad driving

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iepx4kKiw8bUS4KE9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SBfm4co4V6ZAMFXd7

View attachment 1868672

Got Compressor?
Airing down will make you look better and your wheeling will be MUCH easier.

Dude, this is the sickest thread of all time. Mindsurfing and mudding right along with you. Thanks so much for all the detail and inspiration. East coaster hoping to make the Baja run in my 100 next summer before succumbing to full time adulthood.

There is a lot of great information to parse and help plan out the full build. Cheers and thanks for everything!

Thanks man! I have a departure date of Feb 22nd. Lots of work to get done before then. Will finish rebuilding my tase this week and then have to put on a new 4 inch lift. Then all the normal work of route planning and packing

Got Compressor?
Airing down will make you look better and your wheeling will be MUCH easier.
Yup! One of my favorite mods and lessons learned from first trip.

IMG_3785.JPG

@DanMedeiros - how much clearance is there between your Delta radius arms and tie rod with wheels straight and on level ground? Has your tie rod contacted the arms yet?

Today I did a preliminary install of a set Delta 6” arms. I ask because I have only 9/16” clearance.

@DanMedeiros - how much clearance is there between your Delta radius arms and tie rod with wheels straight and on level ground? Has your tie rod contacted the arms yet?

Today I did a preliminary install of a set Delta 6” arms. I ask because I have only 9/16” clearance.

Do you have a stock dia tie rod?

Haven't gotten that far yet! I am about to install 4 inch slee springs, DC drive shaft, delta arms, delta panhard, extended brake lines, adjustable front panhard, and adjustable rear upper arms. All the parts are just sitting in my garage. Got to get them on before my feb 24th departure date.

Rebuilt Case with 10% under drive gears and 3:1 low range installed today. What an amazing difference!!!!!!! Truck feels 1000lbs lighter and shifts so much better. Much easier to keep up with traffic on the freeway. Thanks so much to @Shoredreamer for making this happen. If anybody wants a rebuilt case hit him up. He has the hang of it now and has two cores to rebuild.

Last edited:
I'm curious on underdrive gears, I've seen plenty about the 3:1 gear but not much about the underdrive gears... curious why change them vs gearing the diffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom