Builds LX450: Baja surf trip build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DanMedeiros "Re-gear transfer case with under drive gears for bigger tires"

Can you elaborate ? i am confused i thought the way to do it is in the axles ?
You can do it at the diffs or the transfer case. Transfer case let’s you run a lower low range too. It might be a bit cheaper than opening both diffs

@Laisser aller Thanks! You are right about water storage and a shower scenario. Last trip I spent 3 weeks out on the beach with only the ocean and wet wipes to keep sorta clean. I didn't have any system to take a shower and did everything I could to conserve given that we would have to stop surfing if we ran out. I was pretty gross but before I had a fancy land cruiser feral surf and climbing trips where a staple of my life. However this won't cut it with the wifey and baby along

I really want to utilize the space where the factory spare used to go, either for a fuel tank or a water tank. The LRA tank is an off the shelf solution that would allow me to use my can carrier to bring 15 gallons of water. I was then planning on buying a tiny propane water heater and building a pump system out of a old pelican box. My buddy @Hyup has a rad water system with a pressurized spray nozzle. However the way my drawers are set up I can't duplicate it. I heard talk of @NLXTACY making a DS quarter panel mount that could handle a water system. I think it would be easy to fab a bracket to hold a good amount of water where the spare went. I would be way pumped if that happened. I'm not really allowed to have the spare fuel tank due to CARB but I know a lot of people slide by with it.

Last edited:
  • K02s (they are pretty good in snow and I drive to Tahoe 15 times per year at least)

Got the new KM3s few weeks ago (previous were original KOs) and so far they are fine. Need more testing as only tested them mostly on sand/dirt where they did grip well (but it was not hard stuff). "silent", I drive a 60 haha, on highway commute; more exactly not noisier then the original KOs. Want to test them on rocks and more hard trail in the Sierras but waiting for the fires' smoke to cool down (but apparently it was not that bad last weekend).

Note: I've a blue 60 with a baja rack and I'm often at waddell when it's windy like those days.

Got the new KM3s few weeks ago (previous were original KOs) and so far they are fine. Need more testing as only tested them mostly on sand/dirt where they did grip well (but it was not hard stuff). "silent", I drive a 60 haha, on highway commute; more exactly not noisier then the original KOs. Want to test them on rocks and more hard trail in the Sierras but waiting for the fires' smoke to cool down (but apparently it was not that bad last weekend).

Note: I've a blue 60 with a baja rack and I'm often at waddell when it's windy like those days.
Hey man I see your truck all the time! I love 60s! I'm sure I'll see you up there some afternoon. It' been hard this summer wth the little kiddo. Went from 4 days per week down to 1 :bang:

Wow DanMedeiros you are in deep. Sounds like you’re building a really smart rig. This thread is certainly timely for me... plus, I have laughed a couple times reading it.

I did the whole Southwind thing. The wife hated it, I did too tbh. Such a chitty way to go ANYWHERE. Plus, the whole wind sheer thing is super sketchy in all parts of Ca.... but I will say a shower is something I am putting more thought into because ours will be primarily a family rig.

Congrats! Mazel Tov!

When is the baby due and is it a 1st?

Hey man I see your truck all the time! I love 60s! I'm sure I'll see you up there some afternoon. It' been hard this summer wth the little kiddo. Went from 4 days per week down to 1 :bang:

No worries between startup and 2 young kiddos I know the drill!

I just ordered this week a bumper from Luke and I'm going to ask him to add the foldable table support as I completely forgot to request one and seeing your photo reminded me of it.

...that’s right there is. Sometimes; I’ll admit, I focus so much on the readings that I forget or utterly overlook the images. DanMedeiros

Beautiful family.

Here’s my clan, they are all older now. The little guy is now nearly 8.

If you’re ever off the north 5 FWY going through Portland or coming in from the 26, pull-off on top of PDX; I’ll get you to the greatest Lebanese spot for lunch; I’ll buy.

Eight kids at the birthday.jpg

I have been slammed with trying to still have fun and being a new dad so haven't posted to this thread. I have made some cool upgrades to the LX in the last few months. I installed another Gullwing window from @LandCruiserPhil. These things were invaluable during hunting season. I credit them with one of the dear I harvested this year as I was able to get my rifle out of the truck much more quickly when I saw a nice buck wandering by :)

I also finished the rear heater delete using hoses from @NLXTACY and @LandCruiserPhil. Getting a nice 10-inch sub under the seat this week. I'll POST some pictures up in a bit

But what I really need advice on is a well worn subject: 33s or 35s. 35s are so much cooler for sure but I priced out my ideal 4 inch lift at 6K with tires!!! Would love any advice the mud world has on making this more affordable or am happy with people telling just to stick with 33s

Delta Radius arms 880
Delta Panhard bracket 250
SLEE Front & Rear 4"springs 500
Bump Stop Spacers 85
SlEE Extended brakes lines 230
OME adjustable Upper rear arms 366
OME Adjustable Front Panhard 283
DC Drive Shaft 600

Sub total 3194

Powder Coat Wheels 500
K02s (5) 1200

Subtotal 1700

Regear transfer case 1200?

All told this adds up to roughly 6K! Thats not including rad shocks or anything. Thats a lot of skis, surfboards, and plane flights

One more thing. I am currently running icon 2.0s. They are supposed to work 0-3 inch lift. I have heard its would be fine with the Slee 4" Coils. Is that just foolish? Fancy new shocks are an additional 2K ***VOMIT****

Last edited:
But what I really need advice on is a well worn subject: 33s or 35s. 35s are so much cooler for sure but I priced out my ideal 4 inch lift at 6K with tires!!! Would love any advice the mud world has on making this more affordable or am happy with people telling just to stick with 33s

Delta Radius arms 880
Delta Panhard bracket 250
SLEE Front & Rear 4"springs 500
Bump Stop Spacers 85
SlEE Extended brakes lines 230
OME adjustable Upper rear arms 366
OME Adjustable Front Panhard 283
DC Drive Shaft 600

Sub total 3194

Powder Coat Wheels 500
K02s (5) 1200

Subtotal 1700

Regear transfer case 1200?

All told this adds up to roughly 6K! Thats not including rad shocks or anything. Thats a lot of skis, surfboards, and plane flights

Why so much lift for 33 or 35" tires sounds like you are getting around just fine now? The higher you go the more items that need addressing.

I have been slammed with trying to still have fun and being a new dad so haven't posted to this thread. I have made some cool upgrades to the LX in the last few months. I installed another Gullwing window from @LandCruiserPhil. These things were invaluable during hunting season. I credit them with one of the dear I harvested this year as I was able to get my rifle out of the truck much more quickly when I saw a nice buck wandering by :)

I also finished the rear heater delete using hoses from @NLXTACY and @LandCruiserPhil. Getting a nice 10-inch sub under the seat this week. I'll POST some pictures up in a bit

Very cool to know our window helped, did it make Boone & Crockett?

@LandCruiserPhil No just a decent 6 pointer. 20LBS of venison jerky for ski season though! Getting a deer up in a tree is by far my favorite use of my winch

buck-1.jpg

Last edited:
So @LandCruiserPhil can I just go buy 35s? I am running the 2.5 OME springs. I heard that would be bad for articulation but I'm not super into rock crawling. I just want to get to very remote spots in the sierras and blast around baja. Part of me wonders if the money would be better spent on an aux tank for more range in safety

So @LandCruiserPhil can I just go buy 35s? I am running the 2.5 OME springs. I heard that would be bad for articulation but I'm not super into rock crawling. I just want to get to very remote spots in the sierras and blast around baja. Part of me wonders if the money would be better spent on an aux tank for more range in safety

Many do just that. Im from the camp you buy and outfit your rig for your individual needs not others. An aux tank is very nice to have given where you want to go.

With all my weight Im on 35's with about 2.5" of lift and my truck articulates just fine. Pictures are available:flipoff2:

LOL I believe you. Maybe I'll just buy a stronger steering arm and some parts from Delta. With the OME caster correction bushing I have zero caster angle, makes the truck feel s***ty on the Hwy

LOL I believe you. Maybe I'll just buy a stronger steering arm and some parts from Delta. With the OME caster correction bushing I have zero caster angle, makes the truck feel s***ty on the Hwy

Whats wrong with your current steering arm?
Zero caster in no bueno Delta arms are very nice. Caster plates will make Hwy driving comfortable enough to take pictures :flipoff2:

-E04ZJDN6NiYhUbUa1jIhMtBTo0bnbPxgMEjgitG5r8Tlhjj78w-uiPfMDOLHQ23pHNKC79Ws64oLbkMnAfcpWXl55vToqttUojLe4urwTgdTDwofZAT_yCXWi6sGw8fAVRkXsnSZRdFqYu3L0ZowbDFPaUpeWPv9O3lRtwLAsT7en6IHyFwUaVzAAoySUXO_rMKG-VSqjfCBKCpnDPzLmYezeXcYNveRAvlZXm4ywW9cAv1Wp0y6Pd7SK3GJnIhXncJvNS2l-DPWOK-GmBa2yFFZsYUp79NbfpL4CatW1YuKWxf6qycabFOvwxVIK623ujIwVJIsinmwc2DIlYsBFzxrrwjtR-s8XxqkwZ7kjTCcTmotj3_p1QMSh6kVJccXZ-Sv0odkCo81v0RnC-w4nXoFobTgE1EkxXOUDzCKyxp6DSRVNU-UKowFYik9OMyFFiJNq7kUoSMz05IHG5-nBuki8-eg4cIn8gE8t_L9JJ4WhBlbxJm6TOonK1IQ72457q1JxL1POFYH63P_BctSdEN9jgJIywtIcgQhv3v9dPkZROpFJfpJo7hthSvJZXxs-6lKUeb5RT2eFefbypeptlomJc6h1iQ7wpgANT8OBtA5P5fnS1gQHiF__lfhZ4I=w1251-h939-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom