LX450/80 prep for Rubicon (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The steaks and tri tip won't cook themselves on the grill the 80 came with unfortunately

And at @baldilocks it was good meeting you at Rubithon this past year
Absolutely! Will you make it this year? Is your Dad still planning on leading the wagon run?

Absolutely! Will you make it this year? Is your Dad still planning on leading the wagon run?
Yes I will be but instead of driving from Colorado my drive will be an hour shorter from Montana! And yes he is the lead for it again with the 60. My brother will also be there in his 80

Yes I will be but instead of driving from Colorado my drive will be an hour shorter from Montana! And yes he is the lead for it again with the 60. My brother will also be there in his 80
That sounds great! I’m hoping to be there and helping out as we discussed last summer.

If only that damn @CreeperSleeper design would come back to life...

You guys need to be bugging @knoll0351. He now has all the jigs and some material...

I am planning one making it to Rubithon 2018 also. It will be my first time on the trail and I'm super excited. I just need to figure out which truck I'm taking (i.e. can I get off my butt and finish my 4Runner) and which run to join. Hopefully I will see you guys there!

Guys Mike at bio makes a very similar one that only sits slightly lower than the cross member and is really well built for cheap. No it doesn't replace the cross member but the current cross member is plenty strong

Skid Plates For 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser

I have the Bump It Off Road skid plate and have been beating the ever-loving crap out of it since my rig is still factory height. It's taken everything in stride with zero problems. Plus, Mike is a great guy to do business with. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
3 times through with the wagon run with my 80. It has 285's 2.5" of lift and armor all around, locked front and rear with a winch so we have similar rigs. I have yet to winch myself up or over anything but I have had to pull other rigs off stuff, rocks do get stacked even 3x locked. It's a slog with a low truck but it's doable. This past year 2017 my family took over the wagon run (Dad as lead and myself and brother as assistants. We are coming back to run the wagon run for 2018) and we were able to get an almost stock 2015 4runner all the way through. It had 32.5s a rear locker, hidden winch in stock front bumper, sliders and a home brew rear bumper with factory skids. He made it through fairly u scathed but it was a LOT of work. Below you can see my rig and the 4runner then my rigView attachment 1608893 View attachment 1608894

That’s some good insight. Thanks for taking the time to post up such a detailed response. It really helps.

I have no doubt that I have the patience, determination, and enough skill to get my LX450 safely through the rubicon as it sits now. Having said that I rather heed warnings from guys that have drove it a few times and make necessary changes to make the trip a little more relaxing. From what I have read, the rubicon is a marathon of constant struggles that will wear you out over time. I like a challenge as much as the next guy but I also want to make it enjoyable for myself and everyone one else on the trail.

I am going to bump up to 315s bfg mt km2s for now and more likely just go ahead and regear to 4:88s and get the lockers installed while I’m at it.

Oh, and I am just going to go with the slee belly protection. I bought the steel to build my own version but unfortunately don’t have the time to build one myself at this time.

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight.

My FJ80 doesn’t have lockers, but I run 35” Mud terrains / sliders / etc. How much winching should I expect on the Rubicon this summer?

@SFROMAN

I normally take my FJ60 on the Rubicon but last year took my 80. If you have lockers, armor and 35s, that's kind of the sweet spot to run the trail. Add a winch and you're good to go.

Most important mod-disconnecting your front sway bar at the trailhead!

NC to the Rubicon is quite a trip. @concretejungle did it several years ago and hope he comes back.

one hell of a trip! I do plan to return some day. If you have a chance to make that trip, don't be worried, get your truck baselined on maintenance, have some 35's, at least a rear locker, some sliders for sure and a good rear bumper... then go! At the time i went i just unbolted the front sway bar since i didn't have disconnects.

That’s some good insight. Thanks for taking the time to post up such a detailed response. It really helps.

I have no doubt that I have the patience, determination, and enough skill to get my LX450 safely through the rubicon as it sits now. Having said that I rather heed warnings from guys that have drove it a few times and make necessary changes to make the trip a little more relaxing. From what I have read, the rubicon is a marathon of constant struggles that will wear you out over time. I like a challenge as much as the next guy but I also want to make it enjoyable for myself and everyone one else on the trail.

I am going to bump up to 315s bfg mt km2s for now and more likely just go ahead and regear to 4:88s and get the lockers installed while I’m at it.

Oh, and I am just going to go with the slee belly protection. I bought the steel to build my own version but unfortunately don’t have the time to build one myself at this time.

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight.

Honestly the 80 platform will surprise you. If you take your time and have a good group of guys with you for spotters, you will be fine. I mentioned it above, but i will say that my rear bumper and sliders got used ALOT. I only needed the front locker a handful of times, maybe 3.. but the rear locker i used a lot. For comfort, a fridge is good just to ensure you have fresh foods and are not sloshing around ice. Also, the only truck mod that i would do if i went back would be to install the T-case crawler gears i have sitting on the shelf. That would of made some nice, slow crawling much more enjoyable.

Honestly the 80 platform will surprise you. If you take your time and have a good group of guys with you for spotters, you will be fine. I mentioned it above, but i will say that my rear bumper and sliders got used ALOT. I only needed the front locker a handful of times, maybe 3.. but the rear locker i used a lot. For comfort, a fridge is good just to ensure you have fresh foods and are not sloshing around ice. Also, the only truck mod that i would do if i went back would be to install the T-case crawler gears i have sitting on the shelf. That would of made some nice, slow crawling much more enjoyable.

2 weeks ago I completed a 5,200 mile round trip from NC TO CA and it included running the Mojave Rd. I also have driven 70s 80s, 100s and 200s in lots of places all over the world. Sometimes going months without touching pavement and without a support package or any type of maintenance. So no surprise here on the capabilities of these vehicles.

2 weeks ago I completed a 5,200 mile round trip from NC TO CA and it included running the Mojave Rd. I also have driven 70s 80s, 100s and 200s in lots of places all over the world. Sometimes going months without touching pavement and without a support package or any type of maintenance. So no surprise here on the capabilities of these vehicles.
Basd on your resume, perhaps you should sign up to lead us. Sounds like your experience is vast and varied.

There is a guy who comes from Germany for the Rubithon event every year for some 20 years now. He owns what looks like a stock 80 except for maybe 33” tires if even that large.

His rig stays here in the states with friends until he comes. The point here is that he doesn’t have the experience you have and his rig is basically stock and he makes it just fine and I didn’t notice much body damage. I’m not sure if his 80 has lockers or not.

The immense amount of support at your disposal during this event minimizes the need for spending a lot of money on mods that you may never need again.

Last edited:
Basd on your resume, perhaps you should sign up to lead us. Sounds like your experience is vast and varied.

There is a guy who comes from Germany for the Rubithon event every year for some 20 years now. He owns what looks like a stock 80 except for maybe 33” tires if even that large.

His rig stays here in the states with friends until he comes. The point here is that he doesn’t have the experience you have and his rig is basically stock and he makes it just fine and I didn’t notice much body damage. I’m not sure if his 80 has lockers or not.

The immense amount of support at your disposal during this event minimizes the need for spending a lot of money on that you may never need again.

From what I have heard and read the RUBITHON STAFF is top notch with a wealth of knowledge. A great attraction of these type of events (TLCA / land cruiser ) at least for me is the camaraderie of fellow Toyota guys and there willingness to help each other.
But just because people are willing to help doesn’t mean I want to be a burden. Which is why I started this thread. Obviously I can’t plan for every contingency but I will at least try to mitigate as many things as I can before hand on my vehicle to enjoy the ride and the experience.

The immense amount of support at your disposal during this event minimizes the need for spending a lot of money on mods that you may never need again.
Yup. I was on the wagon run with @concretejungle and several others (not in my 80 however). Believe it was @kevin45? (sorry name isn't popping up) but he brought down his 45 from Canada, open diffs, little pizza cutters and put the wagons to shame getting that rig through it.

Yup, @45Kevin beats the bark off that wagon

you must have sliders, other than that 33's, 2 inch lift and one locker are going to make it a more comfortable trip for you.

I would say at a min 285's and sliders, rubithon is a wonderful event with wonderful people, they will get you through, just be ok with a few dents, :)

sliders are a no brainer... rear bumper was a surprise to me in just how many times i came down on it.

Yes but do you really want to have your skid plate also act as the trans mount? I don’t understand that design but to each his own. Popular skid plates are Slee, IPOR, Cruis’noffoad.

Shop said 3-5k for top end rebuild. That was to replace all seals, adjust, grind valves and anything else it needs. They have good reputation for quality work. Is that high or about right?

Take a lokk at the Bump It Offroad skid plate also. I have been VERY happy with mine and they are a great company to work with. It super think steel but maybe a little smaller than IPOR. But a lot more economic and does not replace the OEM cross member. Take a look and see if it should be added to your list.

Take a lokk at the Bump It Offroad skid plate also. I have been VERY happy with mine and they are a great company to work with. It super think steel but maybe a little smaller than IPOR. But a lot more economic and does not replace the OEM cross member. Take a look and see if it should be added to your list.
Choosing a skid plate is up to the guy buying it. He knows his budget and how hard he intends to punish it. I think any that we have mentioned will serve most 80 owners well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom