LX Auto Retracting Steering Column Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a procedure for cleaning and lubing this system. Mine is becoming a bit noisy during operation and don't want a pricey failure. Anyone PM these things on the LX?

-- Mike

mscott said:
Does anyone have a procedure for cleaning and lubing this system. Mine is becoming a bit noisy during operation and don't want a pricey failure. Anyone PM these things on the LX?

-- Mike

there was a tech bulletin on the LCs for that IIRC. They might fix it for free with new parts...

put some vehicle info in your sig....

if it's a lexy and it's under warranty then get your butt to the dealer and get the motors replaced. it's known weakness.

Sorry guys about no info in my sig. I'll update.

In the mean time, the problem is that its a '99 LX that is not under warranty (clearly). I have 80K+ miles, and have purchased about 2 months ago. It still functions fine -- just a bit noisy/squeaky, but I've read of failures and warranty repairs on other sites. I was hoping someone might have done some long term PMs on the system. If it fails I'm on my own, and in my mind noise during movement = bad.

-- Mike

Just have your dealer disable it. Or you can just unplug the motor that retracts it.

I disabled the motor that retracts it by pulling out the plug and after a month its great. It only tilts horizontally and is completely silent. You can tell it takes much less effort to just move it up and down. I was going to the dealer to have it completely turned off but I think I will just leave it the way it is...

rgds

I'd like to keep it working for as long as I have the vehicle. Anyone have any maintenance ideas?

AFAIK, If the dealer disables it, the telescoping/tilt feature will still work. It just won't auto retract everytime you pull out the key.

As far as maintenance, you can try getting the TSB for this. Perhaps somebody has access to them, if not, you can pay $25 and report back to us your findings.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/98740314.html

I have a TSIB named Tilt/Telescopic Steering Noise/Smootheness Improvement for models 98-00 in PDF. If somebody find this useful, I can send it via email. MSCOTT I already try to send this to you but you have disabled this option.

hoser said:
AFAIK, If the dealer disables it, the telescoping/tilt feature will still work. It just won't auto retract everytime you pull out the key.

Correct. It will still work when you tell it to, just not automatically every time you open and close the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom