lx 570 vs lc 200 thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, I know that search is my friend but I am not having any luck finding a thread on this topic where Markuson gave a lot of great points on the lx. Seriously looking at getting rid of the 100 series and stepping up, especially considering how the prices seem to be in free fall.
Thanks in advance for your help.
PS- We sold Moab Brewery last November (better to be lucky than good!!) so we are free to explore a lot more places than just southeastern Utah. Yippee!!

They each have their purpose, and both are fine. There are many generalizations and comments and opinions. The platform is identical, engines, transmissions, fuel tank, etc. One has a very advanced, but hard to modify suspension and more 'stuff'. The other has a normal suspension and lots of 'stuff' (particularly in the later years).

One is 'ugly'. One is 'uglier'.

They each have their purpose, and both are fine. There are many generalizations and comments and opinions. The platform is identical, engines, transmissions, fuel tank, etc. One has a very advanced, but hard to modify suspension and more 'stuff'. The other has a normal suspension and lots of 'stuff' (particularly in the later years).

One is 'ugly'. One is 'uglier'.
Looks like you have LOTS of stuff on your LX. My 100 series has a lot of stuff too- bumpers, lift, lockers, compressor etc. I am not interested in doing all the hard trails anymore ( still have nightmares about going up Kane Creek Canyon at night) and am looking simply to get away and camp and explore. They are both ugly- no doubt about that, but I really don't care either way. Leaning toward the LX at this point but am still doing the research.
Thanks

Wait...what? LC200 (2016 and up) ugly? Wow, you guys have tough taste! I think that 2016+ LC200 looks great and one of the best looking SUV out there!

Last edited:
I really liked everything my 2010 LX570 had to offer but always found myself looking at listings for Land Cruiser. I ended up trading it in last year for a 2013 Land Cruiser with pretty much all of the same amenities besides AHC. I’m finally content now and I know I’ll drive it for years and years. It just fits ME better.

Here are photos of both of them. The LX with a sensor lift and 33s and the Land Cruiser with a Tough Dog suspension and 33s.

DE9C2A59-4F9D-41F2-BC48-9B25D3FF19C5.jpeg

31C379C1-625F-4DB6-A302-1BA298A27EF7.jpeg

'Stuff' I meant like amenities, the LX was for a long time far ahead on electric doodads and 'luxury' appts. Has evened out somewhat in the 3rd gen models. But there is a big gap in the Gen 1s, which might be relevant to a used model shopper.

Yeah, I've bolted on a fair bit personally . . .

I too went from a 100 to an LX570. Both bought new. It was quite the step up after 16 years in my 100. At the time, the LX was the only 200 series I could find brand new and relatively local. I also got an awesome deal as the dealer was still feeling the impact of the housing crater (had it on his lot for almost a year) and fuel prices were over $5/gallon. Bought it brand new, out the door, for $67k That being said, and this is just one man's opinion, but after a year of the driving the LX570 I regretted the 'upgrade' and starting looking for a 200. For instance:
  1. For me, I just didn't like how the LX drove. The wheels were too big, the tire sidewalls too small, for the type of driving I intended the vehicle for
  2. How it looked. Too much bling
  3. Stereo had little power
  4. Glued on side steps
  5. Solenoid for 4W LO was supper sticky at low temps. Even when fully warmed up. I was used to a manual lever.
  6. Brakes were mush. Been the same on every LX I have driven, including a 2019 and 2020.
  7. Could never get the variable ride to settle the vehicle down
  8. Made a mistake and bought a white one (I've owned smaller white vehicles but that is a lot of white!)
  9. No way to realistically add a bumper without really hacking at the vehicle
  10. Power 3rd row not easily removable.
Again, all of my own opinions. I personally love Lexus and the dealership experience absolutely blows away Toyota.

Bought a new 200 and haven't looked back.

And I kept my 100.

I know, I know that search is my friend but I am not having any luck finding a thread on this topic where Markuson gave a lot of great points on the lx. Seriously looking at getting rid of the 100 series and stepping up, especially considering how the prices seem to be in free fall.
Thanks in advance for your help.
PS- We sold Moab Brewery last November (better to be lucky than good!!) so we are free to explore a lot more places than just southeastern Utah. Yippee!!
Sidebar here, Congrats on getting out while the getting was good. Owning a business is a lot like owning a boat and we all know the 2 happiest days there. 👍

For those that owned both, any comments on road noise, is the LX noticeably quieter?

Lots of posts on the forum that show considerably more sound deadening in the LX. I hate road noise, so can't have too much sound insulation IMO.

Lots of posts on the forum that show considerably more sound deadening in the LX. I hate road noise, so can't have too much sound insulation IMO.
Yes but is it really true? Like I said, I can't say I noticed much difference and that includes a lot of high speed driving on dirt and washboarded gravel roads. Both the LX and the LC are pretty darn quiet compared to most vehicles.

I was thinking that was more so the case with the 100 series and not the 200 series.
I’ve had all 4. My 2000 LX470 was definitely nicer than my 2006 Land Cruiser, but I couldn’t really tell a difference between my 2010 LX570 and my 2013 Land Cruiser. If there was a difference it was minor.

Yes but is it really true? Like I said, I can't say I noticed much difference and that includes a lot of high speed driving on dirt and washboarded gravel roads. Both the LX and the LC are pretty darn quiet compared to most vehicles.

I suspect the answer to that question varies from person to person, as people's ears are quite different. There are plenty of people who install roof racks and say "zero noise increase," and then someone like me comes along, installs the same roof rack to the same vehicle and finds the noise to be so unacceptable that the roof rack gets instantly sold (true story, me, my Tacoma and Prinsu cab rack). Some people are more sensitive to noise than others. If OP is asking about noise, I'd bet he'll be sensitive to it, too.

I did a lot of sound deadening in that same Tacoma and noticed differences after application of every product. Based on some of the photos I've seen of the sound deadening in the cargo area of the LX vs the LC, I'd bet I would notice a difference pretty quickly. Heck, I notice a difference when half the 2nd row is folded (not removed).

For what little its worth, and it ain't much, when I was in the market I was in the market for new. I have a friend that works for a Lexus dealership and I could either brand new for just about the same. I test drove both. Both had pluses and minuses. Every other car in the family is a Lexus, ie wife has an RX we bought new from my friend at the dealership, son has my old ES we bought new from the dealership and daughter has a used RX we bought used from the dealership.

He gave the LX to me for the weekend, no obligation. Very plush interior and smooth on the road. I drove it around and it was NICE, I really did like it. However, I didn't love it and it just wasn't me and point of fact it was just to nice for what I do for fun. I also did not really care for the front grill on the LX after the face lift, I don't hate it but thought I would probably tear it off accidentally.

I went to the Toyota Dealership that I have no relationship with and test drove the Land Cruiser. I just kind of spoke to me. It was as they say, stealth wealth, not flashy and no bling. Just F*cking quality you could feel. It didn't hurt that my Dad had a 62 series, that we spend years bouncing around the Texas country side chasing quail, that I help my Mom sell for $500.00 less than he paid new after 15 years, still kicking myself for that and I did offer to buy it but in her words "she couldn't allow it to be around because it made her miss him to much."

When I drive my LC for the last 2.5 years, it literally makes me smile, bad days are better because of my drive home. I enjoy the ride and handling, honestly much better than the ES and way better than my truck. I don't use or care about Android Auto or Apple Car play, not that either have that. I take my kid to Boy Scout camp outs with it, take him hunting and fishing in it and hose it off back to the office on Monday (well before all this pandemic BS). People at my office ask why everyone in my family drives a Lexus but me who drives a Toyota, "because I can."

Don't get me wrong there are trade offs. Service at the Toyota dealership after becoming used to Lexus treatment is a rude awakening. But all in all I am very satisfied with my decision. Others will differ and that's fine but that is my input.

For what little its worth, and it ain't much, when I was in the market I was in the market for new. I have a friend that works for a Lexus dealership and I could either brand new for just about the same. I test drove both. Both had pluses and minuses. Every other car in the family is a Lexus, ie wife has an RX we bought new from my friend at the dealership, son has my old ES we bought new from the dealership and daughter has a used RX we bought used from the dealership.

He gave the LX to me for the weekend, no obligation. Very plush interior and smooth on the road. I drove it around and it was NICE, I really did like it. However, I didn't love it and it just wasn't me and point of fact it was just to nice for what I do for fun. I also did not really care for the front grill on the LX after the face lift, I don't hate it but thought I would probably tear it off accidentally.

I went to the Toyota Dealership that I have no relationship with and test drove the Land Cruiser. I just kind of spoke to me. It was as they say, stealth wealth, not flashy and no bling. Just F*cking quality you could feel. It didn't hurt that my Dad had a 62 series, that we spend years bouncing around the Texas country side chasing quail, that I help my Mom sell for $500.00 less than he paid new after 15 years, still kicking myself for that and I did offer to buy it but in her words "she couldn't allow it to be around because it made her miss him to much."

When I drive my LC for the last 2.5 years, it literally makes me smile, bad days are better because of my drive home. I enjoy the ride and handling, honestly much better than the ES and way better than my truck. I don't use or care about Android Auto or Apple Car play, not that either have that. I take my kid to Boy Scout camp outs with it, take him hunting and fishing in it and hose it off back to the office on Monday (well before all this pandemic BS). People at my office ask why everyone in my family drives a Lexus but me who drives a Toyota, "because I can."

Don't get me wrong there are trade offs. Service at the Toyota dealership after becoming used to Lexus treatment is a rude awakening. But all in all I am very satisfied with my decision. Others will differ and that's fine but that is my input.
Can't you service at the Lexus dealership?

Can't you service at the Lexus dealership?

Actually I think so, because I have a friend that has 2016 LC that he does just that. Service is worse and no free loaner, but prices are better at the Toyota Dealership.

Once I get my last free oil change I might consider that, although I did buy a free alignment for life at the Toyota dealership for very little. They are cleaver devils, sell that to you for very little then you will come back because they check you alignment each time for free and fix it, if there is a problem and while you are there might as well pay them to do the rest of the service.

Ha! they got me.

Welcome @pcut ! I remember you from the 100-series forums. The 200-series in whatever flavor is a pretty big step up.

You can see that the choice between the LC and LX is a very personal choice. There are those that instantly gravitate one way or another. And those that straddle between the two. Follow your intuition and gut feel to get what makes sense to you.

Objectively, you can get quite a bit more, and value for the money in the LX. Details are noted in those linked threads. Subjectively, style and image is in the eye of the beholder.

Get what calls out to you. I see many here that seem to care what others perceive and judge. Personally, I can care less and anything I spend my money on and indulge in is for myself. For that, I want the best and feature-full 200-series there is. Only the LX checks those boxes. As a self professed suspension snob, that includes wanting AHC, which is untouchable by the aftermarket.

There's no wrong choice here, as they both are ultimately flavors of the same great core 200-series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom