LX 570 to GX 460 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question, has anyone gone from a 570 to a 460? Or does anyone have both, how do they compare on the ride, do you miss the size?

Quick question, has anyone gone from a 570 to a 460? Or does anyone have both, how do they compare on the ride, do you miss the size?

460 is a bit more nimble, lighter on its feet, better mileage, and a bit softer riding.
I drive both a lot, my sister is pregnant with her second, so I do them a lot of favors, and opt to put the miles on her truck LOL.

Oh, forgot to say the 460 brakes are some of the mushiest in the entire game.

I have both. Well, i have LC and GX. I think that the GX is great. But for some reason, the seating in GX is not comfortable for me. My wife loves the GX. Very quiet. Surprisingly roomy for such a narrow vehicle…great for parking! Drinks gas like LC…maybe a drop or two less. But yeah, we love our new GX.

Bonus for the GX is you get a really responsive 6spd, even in the latest iterations with carplay.

Really nice years to go after.

I test drove both at the same place and time when I decided to get the LX.
This comparison was for 2013 models as that was my target budget at that time.

My notes at that time ...

It was a 2013 GX460. The power and its delivery was awesome for a SUV. Definitely impressed. No drama on delivery, smooth and quiet. Suspension wise very smooth on the straight line but floaty - unsettling for me. The surprise come on the twisty where the float disappeared and there was surprisingly little lean for such a big car! Off road was fine with pleasant ride. Brakes could not be evaluated as the brakes were malfunctioning - huge pedal travel, probably air in the lines, but once engaged they were capable. The turning circle was good but all the other test rides had the same or better. Overall car size it was bigger than what I'm used to but not huge. I liked the rear seats that are hiding in the floor and the flat cargo floor. I liked the AC in the back.
Issue and questions:
What kind of suspension design does GX has that is so floaty on highway?
I'm still not sure about the rear door. If I get the GX I'll have to buy a swing arm for my bike racks - $800. I liked that I can open the rear window.

Why did I get the LX? AHC suspension is so much nicer even when not going off road! The truck does not float on the highway even at very high speeds, and if kept in comfort rides pretty big road defects smoot with full control. I can raise the suspension when offroad or just needing to park over the road ditch at the trailhead. Lowering for load unload is such a help when loading very heavy stuff in the trunk. Split hatch is so useful to me as I'm working at a ski resort all winter. Vertical opening works as rain/snow cover while changing boots and prevents raining inside the trunk (I live in PNW). The AC even in the back is airline travel like even in record summer temps, even when the car was packed for hours in direct sun before my test drive. Heated seats in the back. Excelent headlights w/ AFS. All the crawl controls, diff lock, etc. All seats are actually useable, and the 2nd row seats are executive comfortable.

Acceleration may be slower than the GX but the LX has so much more going on for it.

Every time I take my 570 to the dealership, I ask to be given a 460 loaner. Otherwise I get an RX. I do like driving the 460, but after a day or two of driving it, I find myself really wishing I had my 570 back. I personally don't think I could let go of my 570 for a 460.

The 460 does seem to get better gas mileage, and is overall a great vehicle I think. I'm hoping to get the girlfriend into a 460 when she retires her 4Runner, but there's no going back for me at this point.

I got a loaner 2021-2022ish GX when my LX was at the dealership for a new starter. I have summed up my thoughts in another thread (maybe more), but here is the gist:

1. GX suspension is superb--rides and handles beatifully for a truck. The ride (if not the handling) is even on par with some of the most comfortable luxury cars I've been in. Would not change one iota. If I had a GX I would probably not mod it beyond 1-size larger tires. Rides great on rough dirt roads too.
  2. Power is weak and it hunts gears like crazy. It upshifts too soon and it is programmed to live well below the powerband. I guess that's why it gets good mpgs. In order to get it to move with any urgency, you need to mash the throttle to make the transmission drop two gears and redline it. Feels no more powerful than a 4.0 4runner by the seat of my pants, and I would say even a 4.7 GX470 with the vvti feels a good margin stronger (the 05+ GX470 actually has a better power/weight ratio because the 460 weighs so much more). Very different animal to the LX570 which has gobs of power and shrugs off trailers, 35" tires and heavy loads like they're not even there.
  3. Cargo room is pretty lacking for a vehicle of this size. I don't need anything as big as the 200, but the GX cargo space definitely feels cramped. Not helped by the fact the rear seats fold into the floor, raising the cargo deck 6". First mod would be to remove the 3rd row seats. I'm not a fan of the swing gate, but it's not a huge deal.

Even though I don't need anything as big as the LX570, I still wouldn't trade. The 5.7 and 6-speed programming of the 200 is just so much better to drive.

I got a loaner 2021-2022ish GX when my LX was at the dealership for a new starter. I have summed up my thoughts in another thread (maybe more), but here is the gist:

1. GX suspension is superb--rides and handles beatifully for a truck. The ride (if not the handling) is even on par with some of the most comfortable luxury cars I've been in. Would not change one iota. If I had a GX I would probably not mod it beyond 1-size larger tires. Rides great on rough dirt roads too.
  2. Power is weak and it hunts gears like crazy. It upshifts too soon, is programmed to live well below the powerband. I guess that's why it gets good mpgs. In order to get it to move with any urgency, you need to mash the throttle to make the transmission drop two gears and redline it. Feels no more powerful than a 4.0 4runner by the seat of my pants, and I would say even a 4.7 GX470 with the vvti feels a good margin stronger (the 05+ GX470 actually has a better power/weight ratio because the 460 weighs so much more). Very different animal to the LX570 which has gobs of power and shrugs off trailers, 35" tires and heavy loads like they're not even there.
  3. Cargo room is pretty lacking for a vehicle of this size. I don't need anything as big as the 200, but the GX cargo space definitely feels cramped. Not helped by the fact the rear seats fold into the floor, raising the cargo deck 6". First mod would be to remove the 3rd row seats. I'm not a fan of the swing gate, but it's not a huge deal.

Even though I don't need anything as big as the LX570, I still wouldn't trade. The 5.7 and 6-speed programming of the 200 is just so much better to drive.
Exactly how i feel. Acceleration is only. OK. Ride and quietness are great. Cargo room? Not good.

Both @doru and @Heckraiser i agree with in terms of ride.

Its softer and plusher, but def more floaty.
Theres something really feedbacky wth the 200 that i really like that makes me feel connected which the GX dont have.
But its definitely smoother on road, until the big bumps and holes come. Its traditional toyota feeling. Like the 3rd gen 4runner was, if you know what im tam bout.

I currently have both a GX (2022) and a LC (2020) and I've owned both an LX (2019) and a GX (2019) in the past at the same time as well.

The GX is our preferred around town daily, below 45mph it's much more responsive and has better handling for city surface streets and parking lots. The LC (LX in the past) is our preferred long distance travel/highway vehicle. It has more weight and presence which correlates into a more controlled and stable vehicle at highway speeds. We both find the LC/LX more comfortable than the GX but the GX is worlds better than the three 5th Gen 4Runners we owned before them.

I disagree about the power in the GX being equivalent to the 4Runner, it's better and that's coming from someone who has owned three GX460's, three 5th Gen 4Runners and two FJC's, so I have tons of miles on both the 4.0L V6 and the 4.6L V8. The V8 and 6-speed are better in every way when compared the 5-speed and V6 but the 4.6L still falls short of the 8-speed and V8 in the 200, as expected. Also, there's much less difference in terms of interior space/volume than one would think, the GX isn't far behind the 200 Series in that regard. I removed the third row in our last GX and installed the Goose Gear platform and that allowed for a lot more room in the back.

Lexus finally got it right with the 2022/23 GX460 and gave it all of the modern tech and features one would expect from a luxury SUV at that price point, it's by far the best version of itself. All of that said, if I could only have one it would be the LC/LX hands down, they are simply in another league and there are fewer of them to be had. I am grateful to own both and should the GX550 fall short of greatness we will likely be keeping our current GX around for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
IF there was a SUV that NEEDS AHC, then it is the GX with its roadkill scraping front bumper!

Brakes could not be evaluated as the brakes were malfunctioning - huge pedal travel, probably air in the lines, but once engaged they were capable.
That’s how they come stock from 2010-2019 until the refresh. There’s threads about it on here and club lexus. I purchased a brand new GX in 2018 and kept it for 3 years and that drove me crazy. If you pay attention to stock GX coming to a stop you can see it dive lol

Drove a ‘21 GX, nice enough truck…but not an LX, can’t do it!!! Open checkbook on my ‘13 LX 126,000 miles what do you guys think about miles where the truck is still whisper quiet and reliable???

I’ve given the latest GX so many looks and test drives and still find myself somewhat torn between them and a 200. IMO the GX steering feels better than the LC (I have not been behind the wheel of the LX) and the overall handling manners are really impressive for a tall and heavy BOF SUV although same can be said for a 200.

GX for me is the sweet spot in overall size but the rear 3rd row storage falls just short compared to a 200 in 2 row configuration. Also as many have said the split tail gate is so much better than the big swing out door.

I’ve given the latest GX so many looks and test drives and still find myself somewhat torn between them and a 200. IMO the GX steering feels better than the LC (I have not been behind the wheel of the LX) and the overall handling manners are really impressive for a tall and heavy BOF SUV although same can be said for a 200.

GX for me is the sweet spot in overall size but the rear 3rd row storage falls just short compared to a 200 in 2 row configuration. Also as many have said the split tail gate is so much better than the big swing out door.
This being said the local Sewell dealer called me yesterday to let me know about a couple of black line editions now available, one on the lot and another in transit. I’ve had my sights firmly sight set on a 200 for a couple months now but damn him for letting the GX creep back into the picture 😅

Big fan of the GX except for the rear swing door. That is a dealbreaker for me. I dealt with that type of door on my 2 Land Rovers and i really hated it. I also had barn doors on a 2500HD Suburban and hated those too. The split tailgate on the 200 is one of the big reasons I have stuck with Land Cruisers for the last 35 years.

The handling of the GX is sportier and more lively at surface street speeds (below 50mph). It begins to feel slightly unstable or darty at highway speeds. The opposite is true for the 200, slow, sluggish, heavy feeling in the city, but a solid tank at highway speeds. The Black Line is a sweet looking GX.

Big fan of the GX except for the rear swing door. That is a dealbreaker for me. I dealt with that type of door on my 2 Land Rovers and i really hated it. I also had barn doors on a 2500HD Suburban and hated those too. The split tailgate on the 200 is one of the big reasons I have stuck with Land Cruisers for the last 35 years.
At least GX still has that swing up rear window for quick access….

The handling of the GX is sportier and more lively at surface street speeds (below 50mph). It begins to feel slightly unstable or darty at highway speeds. The opposite is true for the 200, slow, sluggish, heavy feeling in the city, but a solid tank at highway speeds. The Black Line is a sweet looking GX.
For me, i dislike the GX “sports“ front seats…too narrow and side bolster too aggressive. I am NOT fat nor wide body and i feel too confined in a not so comfy way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom