LX 470 - Tranny Alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a beauty of and LX I have had for 3 years. All original garaged kept since born (2000), stock, 130k LX. Love it and drive it on trips and the wife grabs the groceries in it. I have an 80 and a 60 and do most of my posting there cause I do not have to post on anything for the LX. But...

Is there any other transmission that has an extra gear that was made by Toyota that could bring a little more fuel economy? T-case solutions? I searched and did not find much...

Do not not even start w the snarky comments. My 80 and 60 get 12 to 13.5 no matter what I do, downhill, pulling a trailer, hauling canoes, uphill, even with the key off sitting in the driveway. I can squeeze 15 outta the LX on trips at 75. But dang, if I had that extra gear to drop it 350 to500 rpm on the highway at 75 that would be awesome. Any bolt in, with minor mods to drive shaft length or? out there?

I know 03-07 has a 5 speed trans instead of the 4 speed. I am not sure what else would be need for a swap.

Checkout Cruiser Brothers, the sell Terrain Tamer parts. Terrain Tamer offers a set of 10% overdrive gears to replace the high gears in the transfer case.

HF2AOD-CB Overdrive Gear Set

Talk to Ward Harris at Cruiser Brothers, he'll take care of you.

I think that even if you found the transmission cheaply, the ECU would need to change to shift the 5spd. All told, I can't see the modification and work being done for less than $2000, and that is a tremendous amount of gas money. You would seriously need to pursue the ECU swap.

Other mods to marginally increase fuel economy might be to reconsider your tire selection and potentially replace your fuel pump. On my way to HIH7 I lost my fuel pump due to inadequate pressure building. I have since gained back about 1.5mpg. Perhaps look into having your fuel flow rate measured. My failing pump delivered 29PSI and the new one 44PSI.

Maybe a part time 4wd kit.

Checkout Cruiser Brothers, the sell Terrain Tamer parts. Terrain Tamer offers a set of 10% overdrive gears to replace the high gears in the transfer case.

HF2AOD-CB Overdrive Gear Set

Talk to Ward Harris at Cruiser Brothers, he'll take care of you.
This is interesting. I wish it were more like 15 -20%. That will drop the Rpms from 2600 at 75 to 2200 to 2100 range where I think would do some good.

10-4. Let me check these threads out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom