LX 470 Night View Repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased an 03 LX 470 about 3 weeks ago, and it includes the Lexus Night View option. Unfortunately, it's not working.

There is a projector that sits on top the dashboard . The hatch door is not automatically opening or closing when I activate the Night View.

Does anyone have any experience accessing the Night View projection system on the dash?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
That is a pretty rare option so there is not much discussion here about it generally. ClubLexus might be useful on this? Any chance your LX has an aftermarket windshield? I ask because as vehicles get older some might choose to save the money and use a regular windshield over the quite rare Night View windshield. Just a guess.

I purchased an 03 LX 470 about 3 weeks ago, and it includes the Lexus Night View option. Unfortunately, it's not working.

There is a projector that sits on top the dashboard . The hatch door is not automatically opening or closing when I activate the Night View.

Does anyone have any experience accessing the Night View projection system on the dash?

Thanks in advance.
I'll post up the FSM diagnostics for the system later today. You can put it into test mode and go from there. Unfortunately the binnacle cover not opening in test tends to indite the NV ECM which ain't a cheap repair.

Thank you all for both responses. I have not been able to find much information on this repair. Most forums are dedicated to driver's experiences with the technology - not repairs.

Not surprised to hear that it won't be cheap to repair. Just to get started it looks like it going to be pretty labor intensive just to diagnose.

Thanks and I look forward to the diagnostics.

Here is the one page I have in my vehicle, I'll post the full PDFs when I get back to my laptop
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1410871835.048589.jpg

Here is the one page I have in my vehicle, I'll post the full PDFs when I get back to my laptopView attachment 942635

Thanks, PADDO.

Access the actual night view projector is a lot easier than I thought it would be. It can be access through the instrument panel. There is a great post on how to remove the instrument panel found here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/led-instrument-panel-gauge-cluster.409313/

Once I got to the projector I was able to remove it by unscrewing from the mounting bracket.

To do this job I would recommend a long philips head and a really short phillips head and small pair of needle nose pliers.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

Here are four Night View FSM procedures you may find helpful.

Attachments

• r-m-2003-diagnostics-lexus-night-view-system-14-night-view-projector-does-not-come-on-lx470-.pdf
    418.6 KB · Views: 515
  • r-m-2003-diagnostics-lexus-night-view-system-circuit-inspection-lx470-.pdf
    784.3 KB · Views: 482
  • r-m-2003-diagnostics-lexus-night-view-system-pre-check-lx470-.pdf
    158.3 KB · Views: 771
  • display cover does not open w indicator on.pdf
    249.1 KB · Views: 369
Sorry for bringing up an old post but this was all that came up searching for Night View threads.

I am picking up a 06 LX470 with the Night View.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can use any of those windshield screen covers that protect it from stone chips etc?

Protect which bits from what? The bumper mounted IR projectors are behind stout clear polycarbonate covers and the ccd camera is on the inside of the windshield. The viewing screen is embedded/etched on the inside of the windshield too.

No there are now clean covers kinda like they make for your IPhone screen which will protect the actual glass from stone chips etc.

I'm not clear on what "actual glass" you want to protect from stone chips. The poly projector lens covers? the windshield in front of the the camera sensors? I'd hazard a guess that any clear film protection stuck over the IR projectors would discolor/melt as the bulbs are 55W and they get hot. I suppose you could put film protection in front of the ccd camera but you'd then need to determine if that affects sensitivity. Having had NV for 11 years and 125k miles I haven't seen the need for any additional measures other than washing the bugs off.

I'm talking about the windshield itself. Coming from a wrangler aka stone chip magnet I've replaced 5 windshields in 8 years due to stone chips.

So intriguing. Out of all the windshield replacement threads, you pick 2 year old thread about fixing the projector in the rare night view system to bump?

It was all I found about night view repair.

I got night vision on a 2003 lx470. My door/cover is stuck open and the system is not functioning. I tried the off-on-off-on while holding the night view knob in. The main beam light illuminated briefly, then turned off. System is still broke. I'll try some more diagnostic soon, it figured I'd get this bumped back up.

One more here...

My 2006 LX has had ALL of the projector cowling brackets break so I'm going in to see what I can MacGyver. I'd imagine that many of the functional problems are because these things are all going out.

Based on access info above, thanks very much, I'm going in with some JB Weld.

T.

Don’t waste your time. Nightview sucks. It worked when I bought my lx, but it was more of a distraction than helpful. There is a reason they stopped offering it. But if you really want it functioning, I’ll sell my parts to you. I haven’t removed them, but would consider it.

Don’t waste your time. Nightview sucks. It worked when I bought my lx, but it was more of a distraction than helpful. There is a reason they stopped offering it. But if you really want it functioning, I’ll sell my parts to you. I haven’t removed them, but would consider it.
Shun the non believer

Any chance you'd sell your Nightview front bumper?

While I'm fixing the mounting brackets on my projector assembly, I'd love to replace the bezel and shutter as they've faded to a very different color from the rest of the still like-new dash. The Lexus parts shows as unavailable, but the Toyota parts can still be found. Does anyone know if Ivory interior in a Lexus is identical to the Ivory interior in a Land Cruiser? I can't imagine they changed it out....

Part numbers are different by one digit, 8649760020E0 vs 8649760010E0

Lexus: 8649760020E0 - Instrument Panel Bezel. SANDAL WOOD - Genuine Lexus Part - https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus__/Instrument-Panel-Bezel-SANDAL-WOOD/63391981/8649760020E0.html

Toyota: Toyota 86497-60010-E0 (8649760010E0) BEZEL, NIGHT VIEW - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8649760010e0

Any educated guesses out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom