LX 470 LED headlights (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I'll ask it. What bulbs do I need to replace hi/low and fogs with good and bright LEDS?

Necrobump. I just bought a 2001 LX 470 today and I discovered the driver's side low beam is burnt out (guess I'll get cozy with my battery)... I'll need to replace the bulb this month to pass state inspection, and I can always just drop a new halogen H1 in there and be done.

The thing is, I have the Beamtech H11 LEDs installed in my new Subaru (probably the favorite LED bulb in that community) and I LOVE them. For $30 they have been light years (pun completely intended) ahead of the Silverstars that I have used throughout history as I avoided aftermarket HID setups on various previous cars.

I have read about the high beam/DRL dimming issues with the LEDs but I don't care about high beams at the moment. Has anyone had a good experience with an H1 low beam in the LX 470? I have the 2001 with the glass enclosures, I don't know if that matters though. I saw some threads talking about having to bore out the enclosures as the LEDs were too fat or long. I also noticed when inspecting the enclosure that there isn't a ton of room behind the bulb itself and the screw-on cap, and I know these LEDs usually have a heatsink protruding from the back.

In 2018, are there any low beam LEDs for an LX 470 that make sense to purchase?

Bump again for any updated info on LED low beam lights that anyone has been happy with.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Necrobump. I just bought a 2001 LX 470 today and I discovered the driver's side low beam is burnt out (guess I'll get cozy with my battery)... I'll need to replace the bulb this month to pass state inspection, and I can always just drop a new halogen H1 in there and be done.

The thing is, I have the Beamtech H11 LEDs installed in my new Subaru (probably the favorite LED bulb in that community) and I LOVE them. For $30 they have been light years (pun completely intended) ahead of the Silverstars that I have used throughout history as I avoided aftermarket HID setups on various previous cars.

I have read about the high beam/DRL dimming issues with the LEDs but I don't care about high beams at the moment. Has anyone had a good experience with an H1 low beam in the LX 470? I have the 2001 with the glass enclosures, I don't know if that matters though. I saw some threads talking about having to bore out the enclosures as the LEDs were too fat or long. I also noticed when inspecting the enclosure that there isn't a ton of room behind the bulb itself and the screw-on cap, and I know these LEDs usually have a heatsink protruding from the back.

In 2018, are there any low beam LEDs for an LX 470 that make sense to purchase?

@Pyrenees Did you ever try the Beamtech H1 in the LX? Low beams just went out and stumbled across that same lamp and of course came to MUD to do some digging about them for our trucks. Seems you're the guinea pig on this one. Any feedback?

Morimoto also offers a Bi-LED retrofit, FWIW. Would require similar amount of retrofitting that a mini-H1 or mini-D2S would and you would get the LED you're after. I have an old mini-H1 retrofit in my rig, but I would definitely consider upgrading to a newer setup.

I'm going to buy an assortment of LED H1's to test out. I'll also buy a few different LED housing caps.

If these suck, I'll cough up the dough for @Luke111 morimoto mini-h1 kit.

I look forward to your findings. I want to replace my H1 halogen for LED but don’t want to drill or do any mods, simply swap and go.

Does anyone have the link to the exact morimoto kit for the 470?

I look forward to your findings. I want to replace my H1 halogen for LED but don’t want to drill or do any mods, simply swap and go.

Does anyone have the link to the exact morimoto kit for the 470?

The morimoto option is about $400. Check luke’s Website.

I’m gonna try Katana H1s with some rubber dust covers. The heat sink sits outside the cover so it should help with cooling. This is about $55 all in. The reviews claim 220% over halogens in projectors.

I tested all the halogens and they all suck just as bad as OEM.

The morimoto option is about $400. Check luke’s Website.

I’m gonna try Katana H1s with some rubber dust covers. The heat sink sits outside the cover so it should help with cooling. This is about $55 all in. The reviews claim 220% over halogens in projectors.

I tested all the halogens and they all suck just as bad as OEM.
I look forward to your findings as well!

I tried them all. Ended up with Morimotos all the way around. They do the best out of all the name brands I think. I just purchased new high, low and fog housings and turned them over to a friend of mine that’s one of the best headlight builders in the country, to make a custom setup. Not doing any crazy color setups or anything. Just trying to get the best output possible. Probably just do some switchbacks and keep them clean. Told him just to work on them when he had time but he stays about 3 months backed up so it could be a while. But for now, the Morimotos I feel are the best.

The only thing about the retro fit kits is I don’t have the appetite to rebuild anything especially light housings. It’s crazy the LX had such trash halogen and projectors.
What is the cost to straight up buy new housings with everything already fitted l?

The only thing about the retro fit kits is I don’t have the appetite to rebuild anything especially light housings. It’s crazy the LX had such trash halogen and projectors.
What is the cost to straight up buy new housings with everything already fitted l?

@Luke111 is your guy. Send him a PM.

Katana H1 LEDs. The brightness is terrific. Not sure why there’s ghosting. Will try to play around with it some more

6082671C-ADD6-4943-9520-80F645F7A616.jpeg

Been running LEDs for a couple of months now, happy with them so far.
BE0FE578-F187-4209-BAD7-170FAF1ABCCF.jpeg
1DD92EB6-636A-437C-BF37-FEC03A046047.jpeg
B34D4005-F191-4722-B7F3-A6FB0766A404.jpeg
5EE08D98-BB2A-4567-843A-9CA3E22DF219.jpeg

what brand?

i want to try the morimoto stroke 2.0. but hear they may not seal so well but i know two guys are running them from previous threads i even tried messaging them but no reponse.

the stroke 2.0 seem to be one of the highest rated led and 4 runner guys love them to work in existing halogen projectors without causing glare and keeping stock cut off line.

@LXstatic how do you like the morimoto strike 2.0?

Katana H1 LEDs. The brightness is terrific. Not sure why there’s ghosting. Will try to play around with it some more

View attachment 2161734

The ghosting or the four light spots are from the OEM projector which has oval holes above the cutoff. Time will tell if the LED's can survive under the caps. I know the new LED projectors which have a larger heat sync do ok. Traveling long distance at night would have me concerned if those LED's under the caps heated up.... there's a heat sync for a reason.
Here's a shot of the factory projector showing the holes that some call squirrel finders and the cutoff of HID projectors which also fire as high beams.

1576927324486.png

IMG_1912.JPG

I tried them all. Ended up with Morimotos all the way around. They do the best out of all the name brands I think. I just purchased new high, low and fog housings and turned them over to a friend of mine that’s one of the best headlight builders in the country, to make a custom setup. Not doing any crazy color setups or anything. Just trying to get the best output possible. Probably just do some switchbacks and keep them clean. Told him just to work on them when he had time but he stays about 3 months backed up so it could be a while. But for now, the Morimotos I feel are the best.

Didn't you sell your LX?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom