LX 470 Lean w/o AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 LX470 that I took the AHC system out (before I knew what the hell AHC even was, unfortunately) and put Bilstein shocks in, front and back. Car drives wonderfully, however, I have noticed that it leans to the left an inch or so to the right. I have also noticed and measured that it leans more when the truck is full of gas (tank is not centered in the middle underneath). I will also note that both the torsion bars are cranked down all the way, so there is no further adjustment to be had. Truck has 197,000 on it

My questions are:
Are my torsion bars worn out? Would getting new ones allow for more adjustment to raise the drivers side more.
Is this lean causing strain on any suspension parts on the drivers side compensating for the weight of fuel?
Thank you all!
IMG_3020.JPG
IMG_3021.JPG

You state you took out the AHC system, but did not say if the Torsion Bars were replaced with Land Cruiser TBs when the Bilsteins were installed. If the TBs weren't changed that would explain why the adjustment is maxed out and there is still sag.

If they were swapped, then either new bars or a re-indexing is all that I can think of at the moment.

The torsion bars are OE. Before the AHC was taken out would the torsion bars not have been maxed out?

The bars would not (normally) have been maxed out before AHC removal. The AHC system replaces some of the spring value. Those who perform an AHC deletion usually use either aftermarket springs and TBs to raise the vehicle or else use stock Land Cruiser components (to keep at stock height).

The torsion bars are OE. Before the AHC was taken out would the torsion bars not have been maxed out?
Read up a bit on the ahc removal. There are numerous threads in here.
The AHC/LX torsion bars are too weak to support the weight of the truck, as the ahc gas springs (spheres/globes) carries half the load.

Anyhow, whatever setup you have, ahc or conventional suspension, on a LC 80 or 100, the torsion bars will need adjustment from time to time. There is always more load on the left side, and both the front and rear springs will sag more on the left. Easy to to just tighten the left one a bit. When maxed out, you take off the adjuster/bar and put it on again at a different angle, which is called reindexing.

^^^^^^^^^^^

The guys covered it well. Good job.

If it were me, I wouldn't try to re-index the old TB's, but buy and install new L/C TB's then cross balance.

^^^^^^^^^^^

If it were me, I wouldn't try to re-index the old TB's, but buy and install new L/C TB's then cross balance.
I was interested to find out that Lexus and Toyota have different part numbers for their torsion bars. Has anyone had any experience with Slee vs. Toyota's T-bars?

^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, would I be able to get away with putting slightly used T-bars from a trashed cruiser? New ones are like 300 a piece

Also, would I be able to get away with putting slightly used T-bars from a trashed cruiser? New ones are like 300 a piece
Absolutely. Go for it, as long as it's not from a new LC with ahc.... They hardly wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom