LX 450 Infamous 80 Oil Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help, use to have an old landcruizer and they were known for the head gasket leaks. This is an odd leak at the back of the engine high up and it is engine oil. Need to get a mirror on a sitck to check it out more.

Just thought all the school of hard knocks experience would advise me on this leak. It is not from the Oil pan 1 & 2, it is higher. Anyone have any ideas. It is from the intake side of the engine and looks to be from the level of the head gasket, but again need to get into that area for a clear view.

Please advise if you guys have seen this before and have a good idea of what it is.....

Valve cover gasket.

You think it is that simple? Educate me a little, if it was the head gasket would I see oil or water in the oil or cooling?

My Valve cover was laking as well, but the leak was more pronounced at the side of the engine. Replaced the gasket and no more leak. Replace the spark plug gormets and the plugs while your in there.

The valve cover hasket is on top of the head so the oil and water don't mix. If you had the mixing, you would probably see white smoke at the tail pipe.

ALWAYS trust Dan when he says it is that simple

The head gasket is not usually the source of oil leaks at the back of the engine (coolant is an entirely different matter tho..:rolleyes: ). It is most often the rear oil pan arch or valve cover gasket, followed by the rear crankshaft seal.

Sounds good, will plan to adress the valve cover as the issue of the leak. I do not have any fluids mix or white smoke. One thing I do get is the smell of coolant when idleing and a gurgle noise after engine is off. NO visiable leaks on that front.

When would you know that it was from the arch or the main crank?

A pan arch or rear main presents it's self at the rear of the pan and the bottom of the bell housing and there is no evidence higher up on the engine.

The "coolant smell" thing kinda bothers me tho, maybe you have an apple and an orange there.

For the valve cover re-seal you will want:

11213-66021 x1

11193-15010 x6

22271-66010 x1

I trust these are the gaskets needed to complete the job. Should you stick to OEM parts on this?

On the coolant issue, the guy I bought it from had paid $500.00 for the replacement of a heater hose. Truck has 127K on it and noticed from the old hose left in the console some deposition on the inner of the hose. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this for idenification?

Yes, they are.

Yes, you should. (In my somewhat tainted opinion....;) )

Just read the thread of a guy with the blown head gasket. I am not seeing the coolant level leaving and will try the bubble test as outlined in the thread. I am thinking if you smell it then it is an external leak? Was thinking to replace all the hoses and heater hoses as I live in Phoenix, AZ and cooling is critical to staying on the road.

Scratch that last post, just checked the Coolant Reservoir. Have oil in the Reservoir and it smells of oil, feels of oil so it must be oil. Looks like I will be doing the head gasket. Does the head need to be machined?

If you are going in to do the head gasket, does it make sense with a 127K on it to do a new timing chain?

bucky said:
I trust these are the gaskets needed to complete the job. Should you stick to OEM parts on this?

cruiserdan said:
Yes, you should. (In my somewhat tainted opinion....;) )

In case you haven't figured it out, CruiserDan is the parts Manager for a Toyota Dealership. He also is the guy you contact for your OEM parts at a great discount for being smart enough to find this web site.

Thats why his opinion is "tainted." But the rest of us would agree. Lots of issues with non-OEM.

Bucky,

I doubt you'll have a need for any machine work. Get the $175 kit from Dan, borrow a flatness tester so you can check head/block flatness over a weekend, and go to town. No need for timing chain, either.

DougM

Thanks and I just sent him a personal post for the parts to do the whole job of head gasket.

Thanks Doug,

When do you guys recommend doing the timing chain? Current miles is 127K.

FJ80s are gears, 93+ FZJ80 4.5L are lifetime chain - no need to replace unless damaged, which I cannot think of a way to do.

DougM

hey shark yes your 3FE has gear driven cam, 93-97 are 1FZ with dual overhead cam and a timign chain

I have never heard of a timing chain going even up to 300K and beyond, so it would not seem pressing to replace it at 120K. IIRC you may have to pull the timing cover to replace the chain,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom